The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
05 CC 4X4 6.0 373

Well, I am really torn here. I have 128k on the odometer and I am thinking about a new truck. I know a couple of guys with the 6.2L gas and they love it except average 12mpg. I also know a couple of guys with the 6.7 and they love theirs as well. I like the idea of the 6.2L but I don't want to give up the diesel. I don't like the dpf with the 6.7. I have to admit as far as mpg I have no complaints with my 6.0. I average 15-16 all the time mixed driving hand calculated. I tow a 12k 5th wheel and I get 12mpg towing it. I actually get around 20mpg hwy. I have the egr unplugged (3 yrs) and 4" turbo back. Nothing else has been done. I just am not sure that I will get comparable performance from one of the newer trucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good luck getting 10 mpg...or 8...or even 6mpg with this engine. I just completed a 1400 mile trip pulling a 36' gn trailer and averaged 4.5mpg loaded one way and 5.6 coming home. I hauled 12,900 pnds of payload up and 7200 pnds of payload home. the highlight of the trip was the 8.57 mpg I got with the empty trailer for 200 miles between loads. I talked to a couple other PROUD ford owners at the pumps ( that I visited frequently) the 2 guys that weren't too embarrassed to talk to me about it said they were getting between 6-8 pulling a small trailer and maybe 10-11 empty . they had f250 and f350 srw. mine is a f450 drw. one owner said after owning his for 12000 milesw and visiting the dealer several times he could not achieve 6mpg so he traded it off. There must be a problem , a common one apparently , that ford isn't willing to address.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Driving the same route, same conditions, same everything, my 11' ford got 16 mpg ish on any given run.. Before trading it,my 05' dodge with manual tranny and only 2wd, would get a best of 18 mpg.. For a heavier truck with 4wd, auto tranny, and emission crap, not to mention much better performance, think i liked the ford better!! Friend of mine bought one of the first 15's back in may, his truck is identical to my 11'[traded], except color.. After logging about 5k pretty hard miles, he's claiming similar mpg's.. I hope the 15' i have ordered turns the same mpg's as my 11'..

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I just completed a 3000 mile trip from San Marcos, TX to San Diego, CA with a few side trips included. I'm using the Edge CTS and my average for the trip was 11.0; one tank gave me 13, may have had a tail wind (I took a picture of the dash). I was pulling my 36 foot, 10,000 pound travel trailer with very little unhooked time. Also, my truck isn't broken in yet. I've had it 28 months and it turned 15,000 as I was approaching home. I've also found that 13~14 is my average unhooked mpg. I don't believe these high mileage reports that others feel a need to post. I was in a campground in SD beside of a guy with a 2500 Dodge Cummins Diesel who told me he averaged 20~21 pulling his 34 foot fifth wheel. I laughed at him and told him how much I believed that.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
With a 140,000 miles on my truck, I have a pretty good feel for what mileage it will give me. Towing is 10.5 -12 mpg depending on the trailer and how much stop and go vs freeway driving.

Empty Truck around town 14 mpg.

Empty truck on interstate drives at 80 mph = 18 to 18.5 mpg

Empty truck on long distance hiway drives at 65-70 mph =22 mpg

My truck towing and working does no better than the 2003 and 2006 6.0L trucks I owned. But empty where it can shift up into Overdrive. The 6.7L will give better mileage

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Good luck getting 10 mpg...or 8...or even 6mpg with this engine. I just completed a 1400 mile trip pulling a 36' gn trailer and averaged 4.5mpg loaded one way and 5.6 coming home. I hauled 12,900 pnds of payload up and 7200 pnds of payload home. the highlight of the trip was the 8.57 mpg I got with the empty trailer for 200 miles between loads. I talked to a couple other PROUD ford owners at the pumps ( that I visited frequently) the 2 guys that weren't too embarrassed to talk to me about it said they were getting between 6-8 pulling a small trailer and maybe 10-11 empty . they had f250 and f350 srw. mine is a f450 drw. one owner said after owning his for 12000 milesw and visiting the dealer several times he could not achieve 6mpg so he traded it off. There must be a problem , a common one apparently , that ford isn't willing to address.
And that is the point where I stopped taking you seriously.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I forgot to mention; on my 3k mile trip, I kept the cruise at 65 mph. Yes, I tow up and down hills, pulling my trailer, using the cruise control.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
And that is the point where I stopped taking you seriously.
I'am always leery of junior members.. Way too often i have seen dodge punks brag about some b.s they got started on a ford or gm web site.. As for fuel mileage, i simply cant understand this urge so many of them have to lie about their mileage.. I think the instructions are printed in the owners manual of a dodge somewhere..

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have owned a 75 Ford F250 supercab 2wd 460/4bbl and C6 trannie 12mpg empty, 8-10 pulling loads - 85 F150/351 Windsor H/O 4bbl 4x4 350 gears = 12mpg empty 6 - 8 pulling my bobcat - 05 F250/V10 5 spd torqueshift - 12 empty 6-8 loaded - 03 F250 6.0 5 spd torqueshift 17-18 empty if I keep it under 75 10-12 loaded - my favorite was the V10, why - Reliability, just drive it...........the 460 was great but old school, my 351 was overloaded as was the truck so went to back to an F250, the gassers were MUCH MORE reliable. The 6.0 is nice when running BUT.........it takes more maint/cost that never offsets the loss of $$ in fuel for the others. I would rather have the V10 over the 6.2. No difference in mileage virtually and power is better. Not sure on reliability of the 6.2 long term but the V10 was well established and long lived. I would not get a 6.7 just cant justify it nor deal with the issues anymore. Im married to my 6.0 so when she dies I will go back to gas no question. The novelty of a diesel wears thin once you realize ford doesn't care and will not address the issues and keeps putting out expensive unreliable vehicles. I want something I can drive not keep having to go back to the dealer. Just my .02$$

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
A good friend of mine is a commercial hay man, and works the snot out of his trucks.. Been that way the past 25 years i have known him.. With exception to owning one dodge for about a year, he's been in nothing but ford diesels.. 7.3's he admits treated him the best, and his 6.0's werent to shabby as he says.. His 6.7 has been great performance wise, but admits he was hopeing for better mpg's then one of the 6.0's he traded.. [f-550] To date he has been in with a egt sensor failure, and for an exhaust filter cleaning, which the dealer wanted to charge for.. Long story short, he did it his self.. About four months ago with 104k on the clock, and who knows how much idle time, the engine spun a bearing.. Fomoco replaced the engine free, and gave him an extended warranty on the engine.. I know the service manager at the dealer, so i know the story and the track record on the truck.. Sounds like ford stepped up in this case..

·
Registered
379 Posts
glad ford stepped up but a spun bearing in 104K that's pretty bad - never spun a bearing in any of my trucks in all those years and miles and I ran the pudding out of all of them. The 460 had over 200 on it never touched when it was traded, it was used on the farm heavily, the 351 Windsor was a real brute and the F150 was grossly over used!!! I had 350K+ on it when I got rid of it, rebuilt the engine at 200K because it was tired. Never broke it was just tired. My 6.0 has over 200 on it now, the usual issues with it. Love the 3800 V6 put over 550K miles on two of them totally untouched other than upper/lower intake gaskets and valve cover/pan gaskets. GREAT Engines......Never had a 7.3 - have perkins, shibaru and Kubota diesels - no issues with any them and they have been worked hard in dirty dusty environments - a spun bearing at 100K is unacceptable on any engine if you ask me with reasonable maint. this day/age.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can we petition Ford to get the V10 back?! To answer the long-term of the 6.2 if you keep it as a pavement princess it's fine. If you work with is expect the valves to tap around 40k miles -_-
I have owned a 75 Ford F250 supercab 2wd 460/4bbl and C6 trannie 12mpg empty, 8-10 pulling loads - 85 F150/351 Windsor H/O 4bbl 4x4 350 gears = 12mpg empty 6 - 8 pulling my bobcat - 05 F250/V10 5 spd torqueshift - 12 empty 6-8 loaded - 03 F250 6.0 5 spd torqueshift 17-18 empty if I keep it under 75 10-12 loaded - my favorite was the V10, why - Reliability, just drive it...........the 460 was great but old school, my 351 was overloaded as was the truck so went to back to an F250, the gassers were MUCH MORE reliable. The 6.0 is nice when running BUT.........it takes more maint/cost that never offsets the loss of $$ in fuel for the others. I would rather have the V10 over the 6.2. No difference in mileage virtually and power is better. Not sure on reliability of the 6.2 long term but the V10 was well established and long lived. I would not get a 6.7 just cant justify it nor deal with the issues anymore. Im married to my 6.0 so when she dies I will go back to gas no question. The novelty of a diesel wears thin once you realize ford doesn't care and will not address the issues and keeps putting out expensive unreliable vehicles. I want something I can drive not keep having to go back to the dealer. Just my .02$$

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
266 Posts
Can we petition Ford to get the V10 back?! To answer the long-term of the 6.2 if you keep it as a pavement princess it's fine. If you work with is expect the valves to tap around 40k miles -_-

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Absolute BUL*^&IT.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
glad ford stepped up but a spun bearing in 104K that's pretty bad - never spun a bearing in any of my trucks in all those years and miles and I ran the pudding out of all of them. The 460 had over 200 on it never touched when it was traded, it was used on the farm heavily, the 351 Windsor was a real brute and the F150 was grossly over used!!! I had 350K+ on it when I got rid of it, rebuilt the engine at 200K because it was tired. Never broke it was just tired. My 6.0 has over 200 on it now, the usual issues with it. Love the 3800 V6 put over 550K miles on two of them totally untouched other than upper/lower intake gaskets and valve cover/pan gaskets. GREAT Engines......Never had a 7.3 - have perkins, shibaru and Kubota diesels - no issues with any them and they have been worked hard in dirty dusty environments - a spun bearing at 100K is unacceptable on any engine if you ask me with reasonable maint. this day/age.
I agree a spun bearing is unacceptable.. The point is, Ford stepped up in this case, even out of warranty.. As of yesterday a local farm supply i deal with was unloading feed off the back of a 11' f-350 6.7, they bought new.. They have an 11' 3500 chevy duramax , also bought new.. Both these trucks are used to maintain the 2 feed stores they own in my home county.. I havent seen the chevy in about 2 weeks, so i asked the owner where it was.. It was down with a transmission issue that 2 different dealers cant figure out.. The owner said it has also been in the shop multiple times with urea related issues as he called them.. A cracked block, broke cam, dropped valve seats, .02 cent dowel pin wrecking and engine, .10 cent bolt wrecking an engine and so on are all issues you could find with certain year 5.9 cummins engines.. Yet it's suppose to be legendary, it's the bench mark to be judged by? If thats the bench mark, we are in trouble! Every last manufacturer has it's issues, many are uncalled far i agree, but what do you do?

·
Registered
379 Posts
yea I agree, each has its issues and like I said glad ford stepped up and took care of this spun bearing situation. WE can apply that rule to everything from dishwashers to diesels they all have their issues. Funny how everyone jumped on the front loader band wagon with washing machines.........seems they have their issues too LOL. What are we really saving, we are building throw away stuff creating junk/garbage we have to get rid of and can only recycle to a certain extent. Are we saving the air by producing more chemicals to keep it clean and then burning them off and waiting to see what some survey or statistics say in 25 years after we have been using it ? Its funny how things change and we are railroaded into things only to find most of the things we had and were doing were fine, we just want to out do someone else. Most of all of this in my ever so humble opinion is due to greed, laziness, and waste. Its all a matter of want vs need and that perspective will eventually consume us all. We are creating an environment of just use something till its not any good then throw it away with no respect for the value of it nor the value or effort someone used in creating it nor the value of the service or servitude we created with it. Think about it this way, u can pile 9000 things on a hamburger but its still a hamburger. I think we would all settle for reliable, low maint, average life vehicles over something we are forced into buying with technology that was forced upon us. do we have a choice, not much but fortunately we are a resourceful and creative bunch that will ALWAYS find ways to get the most out of things provided our big head/pride and wallet don't get in the way.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sadly there is a lot of truth in your humble opinion.. Just think how our younger generation is processing all this..

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2011 F-250 4x4 super cab, swd, 6.7L, with 295/70r 18 nitto trail grabbler tires on it, i bought the truck with the tires on it, and i am in the process of changing them back to the stock size, 275/70r 18, the truck is only getting 15.2 mpg, will changing back to stock tire size help my fuel millage?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have a 2011 F-250 4x4 super cab, swd, 6.7L, with 295/70r 18 nitto trail grabbler tires on it, i bought the truck with the tires on it, and i am in the process of changing them back to the stock size, 275/70r 18, the truck is only getting 15.2 mpg, will changing back to stock tire size help my fuel millage?
It should but not by much. Maybe a 1 or 2 mpg gain depending on how you drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Horrible powerstroke 6.7 mpg

I don't know how much people exaggerate about their mpg but it seems that everyone gets better mpg than I do. I have 2011 kr f250 crew cab with 3.55 gears,afe cold air intake,egr delete,dpf delete, 4 inch exhaust, h&s black max,6 inch lift with 24 inch fuel wheels and 37 toyo open country mts. I get 11.5 mpg and would really appreciate someone's honest imput on improving this if its at all possible.maybe my programmer is set wrong or something but I figure if someone can help he probably reads these forums. Thank you
I have a 2017 F350 6.7L with 6" lift and 37s with DPF and EGR delete. Im getting around 11mpg in the city and maybe 13-14mpg on the freeway. Im wondering the same thing. I was told I would get around 17-18mpg in the city and 20+mpg on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Would someone please put this thread out of its misery.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts