The Diesel Stop banner

34 MPG with the 6.7L

259K views 82 replies 52 participants last post by  mikezxx 
#1 ·
#8 ·
#3 ·
I think I got stuck behind that guy. In the left lane going really slow and when traffic slows it takes him 3 miles to get back to 50 MPH from 24 MPH.

#6 ·
You are in line with my mileage... I cannot drive 50 mph on a 75mph interstate... I get a little less when I do strictly city driving, but it is better than any gas vehicle I have owned and about the same as any diesel truck I have owned.

#7 ·
Interesting.

That post is from 3/10.

During my day to day commute, when I try to get good mileage, I can sneak it up to 21.5-22mpg average on a tank.

That is a 45 mile commute each way with ~30 miles of it at a steady 65mpg.
Very little stop and go.

My weekend mileage will drop, but I can generally keep it above 20.5 mpg average.

Can't see anyway to get 34mpg real world mileage.

My truck is a 2wd, CC, 3:31, 18", with a Retrax.

#9 · (Edited)
OK, they can post what they want about mileage on these trucks, and if you try hard enough, you can coax higher mileage numbers out of them than most of us get regularly. The bottom line is that MOST of us don't drive 51.2 mph on the interstate, we don't take 2 1/2 hours to go from 25 mph up to our 51.2 mph (that we don't drive), and we don't baby these trucks to try and equal a Toyota Camry's mileage. I bought this truck to tow my trailer with and I would love to say that I can get 20 mpg on the highway doing that, but......I can't......and it never will. I drive 70 to 72 mph on the interstate while towing, and I could wish for better mileage until the damn cows come home, but when I'm ready to go somewhere with the truck and trailer,.....I'm ready to go, NOT poke along at 50 mph or 62.4 mph or any other number other than the legal (and sometimes slightly over) speed limit. I really get kind of ill seeing all the posts about mileage on these trucks. Do you suppose the Camry and Prius forums are constantly talking about how much weight that they can tow or how much weight they can stick in the trunk of their cars?

" Hi......my name is Joe and I just bought a Prius and I was able to put a Christmas tree on the roof of my car and actually get it home. The back end was sagging pretty bad and I'm thinking about maybe getting some airbags and an on-board air compressor for the rear air bags. Oh, BTW, my mileage went from 42.9 mpg all the way down to 37.7 mpg on the trip home with the tree. I don't know if it was all that extra weight or if the wind resistance is what got me. I was sure that the salesman told me that it would be above 40 mpg....even when towing my 5th wheeler with it. Blah, blah, blah..........and so on!"

These 6.7 diesel trucks are incredible at what they do and I'm pretty happy overall with mine..........although I've never tried to haul a Christmas tree with it yet! :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Christmas tree

OK, they can post what they want about mileage on these trucks, and if you try hard enough, you can coax higher mileage numbers out of them than most of us get regularly. The bottom line is that MOST of us don't drive 51.2 mph on the interstate, we don't take 2 1/2 hours to go from 25 mph up to our 51.2 mph (that we don't drive), and we don't baby these trucks to try and equal a Toyota Camry's mileage. I bought this truck to tow my trailer with and I would love to say that I can get 20 mpg on the highway doing that, but......I can't......and it never will. I drive 70 to 72 mph on the interstate while towing, and I could wish for better mileage until the damn cows come home, but when I'm ready to go somewhere with the truck and trailer,.....I'm ready to go, NOT poke along at 50 mph or 62.4 mph or any other number other than the legal (and sometimes slightly over) speed limit. I really get kind of ill seeing all the posts about mileage on these trucks. Do you suppose the Camry and Prius forums are constantly talking about how much weight that they can tow or how much weight they can stick in the trunk of their cars?

" Hi......my name is Joe and I just bought a Prius and I was able to put a Christmas tree on the roof of my car and actually get it home. The back end was sagging pretty bad and I'm thinking about maybe getting some airbags and an on-board air compressor for the rear air bags. Oh, BTW, my mileage went from 42.9 mpg all the way down to 37.7 mpg on the trip home with the tree. I don't know if it was all that extra weight or if the wind resistance is what got me. I was sure that the salesman told me that it would be above 40 mpg....even when towing my 5th wheeler with it. Blah, blah, blah..........and so on!"

These 6.7 diesel trucks are incredible at what they do and I'm pretty happy overall with mine..........although I've never tried to haul a Christmas tree with it yet! :thumbsup:
LOL , i hauled a couple christmas trees and it passed the test with aces. Happy holidays everyone.jim.

#13 ·
There was another report where the guys loaded 1,000 lbs in the rear, 5 guys in the cab, and drove 2,400 miles round trip (I think) and got like 27 mpg.

Same thing though... 17 inch wheels at like 85psi, keep RPM at like 1,000 etc. It was a challenge, not an EPA estimate.

I CAN tell you, I changed my fuel filters on my '11 at like 10,000 miles, and on a 210 mile trip at 75-80 mph, I saw over 20mpg. I also saw a noticeable improvement in throttle response.

I wouldn't wait for that filter maintenance. At like $45 for the kit (both filters) and 30 minutes time, its worth it to do it every 10k. Even though Ford asks for it to be every 20K (I think).

#14 ·
I went to the guys website and I found videos on how they are achieving 50 mpg in cars rated for 35 mpg. Its the pulse and glide method. They get up to (small scion) 30 mph in a 40, kill the engine with a kill switch, coast down to 20, put the tranny back in gear and then pop the clutch. Why not let the car idle and drive around town at a crawl? He is getting good gas mileage but the people behind him are forced to brake/accelerate over and over again.

#15 ·
They also used specially blended fuel. Drafted extremely close and a whopping top speed of 45. What a flipping joke. Lol

#16 ·
2012 F350 MPG

I have a 2012 F350, SC, short bed, 6.7, with 3.31 rear and 18 inch BFG AT tires. I have 3500 miles on the truck so far and have checked my mileage very carefully. Driving to my farm (80 miles) on a two land road at 50 to 55 miles/hour with empty load I can get 21.5 mpg on the dash meter (19.5 measured at the pump). If I go to the Freeway and drive at 70-75 mph, it drops to 17.8 mpg dash meter (17 mpg actual). If you want to get over 25 mpg from these trucks you will need to follow the following three rules:
1. Always drive downhill,
2. Never accelerate, and
3. Once up to speed at 40 to 50 mpg, never slow down or you will be forced to violate rule 2 to get back up to speed.

#19 ·
I paid 60K for a truck...I knew going in fuel was going to be expensive..

around town 14-16gph...hwy I drive 78.....17-18gph
do you mean mpg=mile per gallon
gph=gallon per hour????

#23 ·
I have been pretty happy with my mpg so far. I get between 16 and 17.5 around town and 18.5 to 21 on the hwy. Around 10mpg towing. I know I just got my truck Feb 15th but I already have 3500 miles on it :eek:
That's a lot of mile for less than a month. What's your hour meter show? Have you ever shut off the truck?

I have 1850 on mine since the 21st of February. Love it more everyday. Just hope its as good as my '05 6.0.

#22 ·
I thought Prius owners used artificial trees. Being the tree huggers they are.

#24 ·
The best that I've ever got was 22mpg on I 40 heading east to Albuquerque, NM.

2011 F350 LB KR FX4

#26 ·
The best I have ever done is 21.5mpg, empty, cruse set 65mph, flat highway, no traffic

#27 ·
34 MPG with the 6.7

People are paying $60k?, lol.

I go by tank avg ( fill up to fill up). Coasting down hill isn't telling me what my fuel bill is each month.

I have 355s, 20", crewcab 4x4. I can get 14 per tank or I can get 18-19 per tank. In Texas that 18-19mpg is 10 under the speed limit, btw. I believe a 2wd can get better with lower rear gears or sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
It seems that every vehicle I get, I'm sucking hind t!t on fuel economy. I've got a 2012 Goldwing that I've made 3, 3000 mile trips to VA and back and it gets a constant 35 ~ 36 mpg; most on the GL1800 web site claim 40 and better; it was the same way with my '04 g/wing. My E-350 7.3 SD is consistently 13 mpg but once in a great while she'll get 15. Some on the forum for vans, here, claim 20 and better. My wife's '09 Rogue is consistent at 23 ~ 25, but on the Rogue board, quite a few report 35. Now here, even though I've only got 1400 on the truck, the instant fuel economy gauge reads 12 ~ 14 and this thread has some members posting upper teens and mid twenty's. Just once, it would be nice to be one of those reporting high mileage.

#30 ·
It seems that every vehicle I get, I'm sucking hind t!t on fuel economy. Now here, even though I've only got 1400 on the truck, the instant fuel economy gauge reads 12 ~ 14 and this thread has some members posting upper teens and mid twenty's. Just once, it would be nice to be one of those reporting high mileage.
Get on the hiway, set the cruise at 65, then hold the reset button on the fuel milage gauge. you will see better fuel milage. Idle time kills the fuel calculator. I dont get upset when the calc goes low because the average kills you every time. 20mpg on mine at 65 on the fwy. nice for a dually.

#31 ·
Hi POPS; I've tried that. On a reset, it'll jump to 15, but won't stay there. Hopefully after it gets a few more miles on it, it should improve a few mpg's. But it's been my experience on a LOT of new vehicles, 2 - 4 will be about all I can expect. That should get me to about 16 mpg empty. I can't imagine how low it'll drop when I hit the Wyoming mountains this summer with an 11,000 pound trailer.

#34 ·
34 MPG with the 6.7

How fast you driving? It won't stay there cause it knows better. It knows how much fuel you have and what you don't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#37 ·
We have an E320 CDI with nearly 100K on the clock. Gets 38-39.5 on the highway running 70-75mph. Never been an issue. 32 around town.

Trucks are a different animal and fuel economy should never a reason to own one. Sure, you don't want to get 10mpg on a daily basis but it is a truck. 15-18 should be all you expect. Anything over 18 is icing on the cake.

Looking at a leftover '12 right now. May or may not pull the trigger again. Been a couple of years in gassers which have performed admirably (all 5.4's).

We'll see.

#39 ·
Didn't buy it for the fuel economy and it really never entered my mind. As I posted, just don't see how all these members get such great fuel mileage and I NEVER get close to what they get. No complaints, love the truck, and will live with economy, or lack thereof.

#41 ·
I have almost 7K on my 2013 platinum and it gets the same as my 2011f350 did. Only thing that is not good is towing. i got a smaller trailer now, went from a 26' to a 16'. The new 16' even has a v-nose but I swear it sits higher than my old trailer. i get worse mileage towing the 16 than when towing with the 26. Both trailer have the same equipment in it too.

I have noticed anything over 65mph and the truck just drinks fuel. If I set cruise on 68mph I get 14mpg as opposed to 10mpg at 75mph when towing. I did 80+ miles at 65mph just to make sure I could still get good mpg when empty. I did get 20mpg but seemed to take forever to get home lol. Cant wait until they swap over from this winter fuel.

I tried the b20 once on my 2011 and it was even worse #'s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.