The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently did an EGR delete on the 100% stock 05' F250 that I recently picked up with 200K miles on it.

I have no exhaust leaks, it runs good, everything went back together fine.......but I noticed that before I could get around 28psi of boost....now I only get around 25psi of boost. From all of the other threads I've read, it has something to do with the exhaust gases not getting recirculated back through the intake.

I just wanted to see if that's pretty normal....or if I should not have lost any boost. Just wondering. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. With the cooler in place, if anything you'd expect less boost when the EGR was active because part of the exhaust would be being bypassed into the intake and not spinning the turbine. Without the cooler you are routing all exhaust to the turbine all the time.

I suspect you have bad hot side CAC boots. If they've never been changed on an '05 they are definitely bad. Oil from the CCV system gets into the intake system and degrades the silicone the boots are lined with over time. They may look fine, but if you thoroughly clean them, then squish them almost flat and look inside them I bet you see a bunch of white lines. Those lines are areas of delamination. The new boots from Ford are lined with a different material that is orange as opposed to blue. I just use the Ford boots. There are other aftermarket ones, but cost wise the Ford boots are cheaper and of OEM quality.

Another possibility is that you have a slight leak in the bellows in the up pipe. These bellows eventually fail after and EGR delete because the pipe is no longer supported by the EGR cooler. The best solution is to get an aftermarket or modified stock up pipe with either better flex couplings or no flex couplings.

I would also check the merge collector where the up pipe meets the turbo. The V-band clamps uses on the turbo will not pull a misaligned pipe into alignment. Its common after the turbo is removed to have a leak on the bottom of this connection.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't make any sense. With the cooler in place, if anything you'd expect less boost when the EGR was active because part of the exhaust would be being bypassed into the intake and not spinning the turbine. Without the cooler you are routing all exhaust to the turbine all the time.

I suspect you have bad hot side CAC boots. If they've never been changed on an '05 they are definitely bad. Oil from the CCV system gets into the intake system and degrades the silicone the boots are lined with over time. They may look fine, but if you thoroughly clean them, then squish them almost flat and look inside them I bet you see a bunch of white lines. Those lines are areas of delamination. The new boots from Ford are lined with a different material that is orange as opposed to blue. I just use the Ford boots. There are other aftermarket ones, but cost wise the Ford boots are cheaper and of OEM quality.

Another possibility is that you have a slight leak in the bellows in the up pipe. These bellows eventually fail after and EGR delete because the pipe is no longer supported by the EGR cooler. The best solution is to get an aftermarket or modified stock up pipe with either better flex couplings or no flex couplings.

I would also check the merge collector where the up pipe meets the turbo. The V-band clamps uses on the turbo will not pull a misaligned pipe into alignment. Its common after the turbo is removed to have a leak on the bottom of this connection.
All of my CAC boots are new, new FORD ones with the orange inside material. I guess there is a chance that there could be a leak in the up pipe or y-pipe connector.....but woudln't I hear it if there was a leak? I don't see any black soot around the V-band clamps. Everything lined up really well when I put it all back together.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
You can't always hear them, or if you do they don't always sound like an exhaust leak. You may get soot, you may not, that really depends on tuning more than anything. A hot tune is going to put our a lot of soot. A stock tune puts out very little. I'll say that sometimes the merge collector seems like its seated and its not seated on the bottom where you can't really see it. I've learned to check that fit up with an inspection mirror prior to putting the clamp on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts