The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues since a week before Christmas. [rough running at 60 mph:1750 rpm, loss of power, zero acceleration, and a complete death with no restart]

Started for dealer following day. Dealer said "too many trouble codes to definitely say what the problem is (2 hours labor for that!); ever had your injectors cleaned?" So I have the injectors cleaned.

The day after Christmas it starts acting like it did before it died. Dealer says EGR bad, ICP blown, and pigtail chafed and shorted, but was at least willing to refund 2 hours from previous visit. Work gets done and she is running like a champ.

January 3rd is a little cold and starts hard. Got about 20 miles toward work and it now feels like I'm riding down a cobblestone road. Push speed up to 70 mph and it feels a ton better. Idle is rough, but not unbearable. Take it to a diesel shop (tired of dealer) and they pull "#4 cylinder misfire" code and feel it may be an injector. Injector shop can't get to it until next week. In the meantime, I'm talking to guys at work and they say that there is a exhaust sensor that cokes and causes the computer to run the engine poorly.

Anybody have any input? Just rolled 138k.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That Dreaded PCM

Finally got it to a dealer whose tech is busy with ambulances. Five minutes and he told me it was the Powertrain Contol Module. (located behind the driver's side battery) Took a week for the part to come from the supplier, but not a single problem since. First thing the tech said that gave it away was that "there are too many codes for your truck to be running at all!"

Be aware, don't let some of these guys start fixing code-related problems one-at-a-time. I probably never had a bad ICP, EGR, or #4 misfire.

Just a bad brain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.