The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that you can't tow these trucks 4 down. Is there anything you can do to make to work? What about a driveshaft disconnect?

Is the problem with towing 4 down the front diff, the rear diff, the transfer case, or all of the above?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
The automatic trans won't last very long towing four down. The diffs don't care, you can tow forever and they will be fine. Some transfer cases can be towed four down, and some cannot. I don't know which is which. If you disconnect the rear driveshaft you'll be fine. The front driveshaft is already disconnected as long as the transfer case isn't in 4x4H or 4x4L.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you have a manual transfer case you can put that in neutral. That will disconnect the trans but if its electronic you'll have to remove the drive shaft from the rear and tie it up.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that. When I purchase my truck I wanted a manual transfer case but the best deal the dealership had was on a Lariat which had the electronic version.

I have never disconnected the drive shaft but it can't be that tough. Wonder if they make a quick disconnect connection? If not I may have a new business idea :)

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
REMCO used to make a driveshaft disconnect. This note is now on their store page:

This vehicle may need a drive shaft coupling (disconnect) to be towed with all four wheels on the ground. Remco Industries no longer sells the Drive Shaft Coupling (Disconnect). If interested in a Drive Shaft Coupling, please contact Just For Towing LLC,(1-928-782-7927) or David at Drive Shaft King (1-800-442-6329).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts