The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
2000, 7.3, Zf6, 4" turbo-back, flow-thru muffler, PHP Hydra, IDM delete, EGT, Boost, H20
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Now that the DP is in (I can still rotate it at the turbo), and the cross member installed, I may not be out of the woods yet. In the photo above, you may notice that the pipe is quite close to the shackle and also close to the trans. I may have to weld the piece I cut off back on, then cut it again further up into the bend radius. The V-band clamp assembly is a bit bulky and may not fit where the current cut is. I'll find out after I get it. - Nice thing about a band clamp is that you can install them pretty much anywhere.

I have the Hydra in and programmed with 6 tunes. I'm a bit disappointed that the display on their switch box is so dim - have to cup it with my hand to see it. I sent them a message and hopefully, they have a fix. I also have to push the buttons several times to get it to change.

· Registered
64 Posts
I have the Hydra in and programmed with 6 tunes. I'm a bit disappointed that the display on their switch box is so dim - have to cup it with my hand to see it. I sent them a message and hopefully, they have a fix. I also have to push the buttons several times to get it to change.
I wouldn't worry too much about the display unless it is dim in shadow/dark. After you tweak it a few times and figure out what you like the best, you will rarely ever look at it.
As for the buttons, sometimes this happens to me, but I really think it is more that the velcro has enough "sponge" to keep the button from actually clicking sometimes unless you really press it down.

· Premium Member
2000, 7.3, Zf6, 4" turbo-back, flow-thru muffler, PHP Hydra, IDM delete, EGT, Boost, H20
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After Googling "PHP Hydra LCD too dim issue," I discovered that holding the up or down buttons for a few seconds changes the brightness. All is good now. Can't wait to finish the exhaust and take her for a spin.

· Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The V-band clamp kit didn't show up yesterday (as promised by amazon) - should have it today. However, I have a six-hour procedure at the doctor's office, so I doubt anything in my 4" DP install will proceed until tomorrow - depending on how I feel. The 4" DP appears to fit OK, but it is very close between the spring shackle and a bump on the manual 6 speed. I may have to massage a small area on the pipe to accommodate the trans bump as I need to have most of the clearance between the pipe and the shackle.

I'll post the results as soon as I can make some progress.

· Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
4" Turbo-back exhaust on 2000 F250,w/7.3, manual 6 speed done.
Splicing in a V-band kit at the bend of the DP elbow solved it. This was the Diamond turbo-back Exhaust kit with the flow-thru muffler. I highly recommend finding a kit that already has this feature, and some do, according to other posters here.
Without doing this mod, there was no way to install the DP short of removing the engine. Removing the cross brace or raising the transmission does nothing. The extra pipe after the lower elbow simply has to go, period.

Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Gas Cylinder Vehicle
Automotive tire Idiophone Wood Musical instrument Motor vehicle

As many on the forums and web have mentioned, the instructions are very basic. It took a while to figure out that I had to move two of the hangers to different locations to make everything work out. Thankfully, Ford has several of the 2-bolt patterns punched into the frame in positions that worked out. I also had to cut 1/2" off the end of one hanger to keep it from touching the frame. It's all good now - not a rattle.

The truck sounds great - not too loud at all, thankfully.
I tested my Hydra chip on a short run, and it rocks - even with it set to the 40 HP DD tune! The real test will be pulling the 7,000 Lb. trailer up into the Sierra Nevada, which I will be doing soon. I have no doubts it's going to be a better experience than the stock truck was.

Thanks all for the help.
Jim

· Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I pulled the 7,000 lb. trailer up into a campsite last Thursday. Some of the grades were 9%. The speed limit was 55. I set the Hydra to the 40 HP tune. I stuck the Zf6 in 4th (5th is overdrive). EGTs never went over 950. Boost hovered between 12 -18 Psi.
At one point, about five cars were following a semi that eventually pulled over - I was 6th in the lineup. The first car behind the semi freaked-out and stopped instead of passing :mad:. Now I had to start rolling again from a dead stop up 9% - I spun the tires and had to back out. The 4" pipe and the PHP Hydra generate some serious torque - It's a completely different truck, and in a good way.
My single Glow_Shift 3-in-one gauge works perfectly. Boost on the needle, digital water temp, and digital EGTs. For what I do with the truck, that's all the info I need, and the single gauge keeps it simple.

If you're considering a 4" turbo-back install, add a $40.00 v-clamp to the list and install it at the end of the DP bend radius. You'll be done with the installation in about an hour and a half

Automotive exhaust Gas Motor vehicle Cylinder Vehicle

Cheers, Jim

21 - 26 of 26 Posts