The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
(Post 11) that’s why I suggested you start at the transfer case and go towards the hubs.....now you know your hubs aren’t engaging....Maybe. Can’t see in your video, did you check your axles/u-joints coming out of the front differential to see if either side is rotating? Do you still have the hubs in the “Lock” position? You can turn the front wheels and should be able to see the u-joints/axle(s) turning- don’t have to climb under. Then if confirmed (rotation) time to get into the hubs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
(Post 11) that’s why I suggested you start at the transfer case and go towards the hubs.....now you know your hubs aren’t engaging....Maybe. Can’t see in your video, did you check your axles/u-joints coming out of the front differential to see if either side is rotating? Do you still have the hubs in the “Lock” position? You can turn the front wheels and should be able to see the u-joints/axle(s) turning- don’t have to climb under. Then if confirmed (rotation) time to get into the hubs.
Ive been out of town and very busy with work, I was going in the order I could until I got back to my warehouse/shop. Thanks for the suggestion.

With both hubs locked, and me rotating either wheel the clicking noise was present. Unlocked passengers side hub and turned passengers tire and no noise. Spin drivers wheel with hub locked and with passengers locked and unlocked and noise is present. Lock drivers side, spin wheel and look on wheel side of Ujoints and wheel side spin and diff side no spin. Do same on Passengers with hub locked and both sides spin. This and the fact that noise was isolated with stethoscope to drivers side hub lead me to the failure point.

Will go to parts house and replace when time allows.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

John

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Good deal, glad you narrowed it down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
good job trouble shooting. Curious what busted in the hub, either stripped the shaft teeth or literally sheared the stub.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks to all who offered advise and helped, I just wasn't in a situation to really look hard. When I finally did, it was pretty obvious. I will snap pictures of the broken hub once I return back home.(Prob next week)

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
I went to Advanced and Autozone and due to Virus they are not pulling codes?
Auto parts stores CANNOT read the codes that you need.

You can download Forscan at forscan.org for free. You can buy an ELM327 adapter on Amazon for less than $30. Then you can read all of the codes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Interested to see what you find in the hub.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts