The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of going with 4in turbo back straight exhaust. What are the pros and cons. My rig is mainly for towing. Next will be intake and 6.0 intercooler.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Pros lower egts and back pressure

Cons a little more noise.

Skip the 6.0 intercooler. It only drops egts 60 degrees.

If your on a budget a diamond eye 4in system and 6637 diy intake can be had for 300 bucks

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 60 degrees is worth it to me I live in the deep south. The whole reason for my upgrades are to bring temps down and help with proformass.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What tuning are you running?

With good tunes egts aren't an issue.

Just delete the ebpv that lowers egts more than the 6.0 ic swap.

A billet comp wheel will lower them even more.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
A good straight through muffler would be a good idea if you do a lot of towing as the straight exhaust will drone (drum) when loaded.
I have heard some members using the Walker truck muffler.

I have a straight through exhaust 4" that is telling me to change it to a muffler set up , it is loud .
I have a muffler and pipe in the workshop ready once i get sick of the loud noise.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will probably add a muffler to 4in exaust. Was waiting to do turbo when the stock one dies it has 260k on it so it has to be close. All I have is the edge tunner right now. But will go to a chip once I change everything else on my list.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ya edge tunes Run a little hot.

I rebuilt my turbo at 250k for pm and it was perfect.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I an not sure what chip, or tune to go with. But I would like to find a place to live tune it to what I want.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funnti was just looking at their sifht

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Do a 6.0 tranny cooler instead of the intercooler. If you are going to tow a lot you want to keep that tranny cool.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That is the plan.I am going to drag my 12k lb fifth wheel across the country through the smokes and back when the kids get out of school. I am going to do one mod a month so it does not look like so much money to the wife.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I did the 4" straight pipe on 2 trucks diamond eye on the first and AFE on the second, The AFE was a much nicer kit and easier to install. both worked well and the noise was not bad at all, I am a little hard of hearing but the wife says its fine.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My old lady is a penny pincher but I can't complain she paid cash for my truck and camper in the last year. Now she has me on a tight leash. But she knows I will get at least 10 years out of this truck like I did the last used truck I bought.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
2 of my 7.3's are muffler delete and can tell you the dually is not too bad but the Excursion is very loud.

As far as a chip or programmer PHP Hydra hands down. Got a dp tuner in the dually and it hasn't worked since it's been installed, they are also known to damage motors with their tunes. Also have run diablo sport and edge and they aren't even close to the Hydra. Second best is a TS chips but their technology is 10+ years old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts