The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like it's something new every single day with this dang truck. As if the annoying issues I've been having aren't enough this one decided to pop up. Truck had a hydra chip when I bought it, hooking it up to my computer showed the tunes were from May 2014. Decided to update them today to the current tunes on there server. After doing that now once I am driving with the truck in overdrive and I go to slow down and let off the gas the transmission hangs in overdrive until about 30 mph and then downshifts hard into to 3rd, almost like downshifting with a stick, and then decels normally. If I am just in town and never get into overdrive there's no problem. I have absolutely no idea what this could be. Truck drove perfectly fine before this. Has anyone had any similar issues, I can't find anything that seems similar this.

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
It drove fine, then you updated the chip and it doesn't drive well anymore. What could it be? The chip. Isn't that obvious?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is. Which is why I asked if anyone had any similar issues using the Hydra.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Throwing code P0705 for the range sensor. If that would cause this issue I find it awful hard to believe in such a coincidence that it occurred immediately after updating the Hydra without something causing it.

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
I've seen a few threads about shifting issues with PHP. I think they've all been worked out, but involved getting ahold of the company and having your tunes tweaked. That is a strange coincidence if your range sensor went out at the exact same moment you upgraded. If you're old enough to remember the early days of Microsoft - there is a game they play. The software guys blame the hardware and vice versa. Considering the frustration costs and the actual part cost, it might be worth swapping the sensor before you start the game.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well at least I'm not the only one I suppose. I'll try contacting PHP and looking into replacing it. It acts like this even after putting the turner back on stock also so I'm at a loss. Do you have a part number for the sensor by any chance, I can't seem to find an accurate one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
pull the chip and see what it does. If it still does it, there ya go

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. I'm taking back my earlier statement of it still acting funny in the stock setting. Putting the chip on stock after a couple miles it would no longer do this and it operated just like normal. Switch it back to a tune to test, and boom acting messed up again. I am awaiting a response from PHP currently as it seems there is no other explanation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As someone who had shifting issues with PHP, let me chime in here. Step one pull the chip, does the weirdness continue? If it does, it is a sensor issue. If it does not it is a Tuning issue and then you should email [email protected] It helps if you can send them a video showing the issue. But before you contact them make sure its not a hardware issue, so pull the chip!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well like I said, the stock setting doesn't cause any issues. Wouldn't that be sufficient proof it's the tuning causing it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well like I said, the stock setting doesn't cause any issues. Wouldn't that be sufficient proof it's the tuning causing it?
When you say stock setting, is that in mode 00(Bypass) or some other mode that you programmed in?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 00 setting is the equivalent of pulling the chip, so yes that should suffice. I would STRONGLY recommend making a video showing the issue and how it is produced, it will speed along the resolution significantly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright thanks, I'll be sure to do that when they get back to me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
also double check to make sure you loaded the proper tunes to your hex code, that can give you fits if they don't match, been there done that. when I read it wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I am working with PHP now. I did pull my PCM to double check as I myself have never checked it and my box code matches with the hex code that is on the tunes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Am I wrong to believe that if the TRS worked perfectly fine with the old tunes and perfectly fine without a tune. That the TRS cannot be the problem?

·
Premium Member
15,122 Posts
Theoretically yes, BUT...

There is always the possibility that one tune relies more heavily on one signal than another or perceives that signal differently so that a marginal sensor might cause more issues in one tune than another.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suppose so. PHP claims it is either my sensor or my valve body is already bad and the tunes just make it worse. The truck shifts perfectly fine whether I'm going easy on it or wide open. I cannot believe it is a transmission problem. I can maybe justify trying a new sensor, but after that I can't just throw money at a problem I don't believe exists. I know it's a long shot, but if my truck had a modified valve body and I was using regular tunes could that cause this weird downshifts? I don't think it does and I wouldn't know how to check but I wanna try everything before just throwing parts at it.

I do have vidoes of what it is doing if that would be better to see.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I suppose so. PHP claims it is either my sensor or my valve body is already bad and the tunes just make it worse. The truck shifts perfectly fine whether I'm going easy on it or wide open. I cannot believe it is a transmission problem. I can maybe justify trying a new sensor, but after that I can't just throw money at a problem I don't believe exists. I know it's a long shot, but if my truck had a modified valve body and I was using regular tunes could that cause this weird downshifts? I don't think it does and I wouldn't know how to check but I wanna try everything before just throwing parts at it.

I do have vidoes of what it is doing if that would be better to see.
I would like to see the videos.

It cant hurt to try a modified valve body tune, it will be different, maybe bad, maybe better.

The range sensor is relatively cheap and easy to change, I would consider changing it anyway, you had a DTC for it, that means something about it is having issues, simply as a precaution I would be changing it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts