Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

There has been some questions about the 4R100 HD transmissions

Attatched is some info and application guide, which should hopfully be some
help.

They do only make them for the 99-03 S-DUTY with the 7.3

They come with a 3yr/100k parts and labor warranty, valid at any Ford dealership or independent shop.

Also, the cooler will have to be replaced for warranty purposes (not a bad idea anyways!)

These will run $2730, plus $1000 core. While the core must me complete and assembled, but condition does not matter. The core itself can be junk, but thats fine with Ford :ford:

There are typically no freight charges if shipped to a business.

PM me or call me for details

Thanks!
-Mike R
Tousley Ford

View attachment 4r100HDwith3100.pdf

View attachment 4R100HDApplicationsChart32308.pdf

·
Registered
723 Posts
bump.....to keep info for future (hopefully not) use.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've never seen the actual price for the trans before...
When I had to replace the trans on my integra, the dealer's price was more then yours... and a little 4cyl 5 sp manual trans shouldn't cost miore then a big diesel auto trans, funny how things work.

Great price! and now I don't fear nuking my trans lol

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've never seen the actual price for the trans before...
When I had to replace the trans on my integra, the dealer's price was more then yours... and a little 4cyl 5 sp manual trans shouldn't cost miore then a big diesel auto trans, funny how things work.

Great price! and now I don't fear nuking my trans lol
Don't go too rough! they don't make a HD version for the E-vans:icon_frown:
However, the stock OEM rebuilds are a good $500 less.

Its funny you mention the price though. It reminds me of the CVT for the Freestyles/Five Hundreds. They are well over 3K, yet there is nothing to them. There is only a fraction of the internal parts compared to a regular automatic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I replaced the trans in my 2000 E350 one year ago (191k) with a Ford re-manufactured HD, comes with HD torque converter and a line filter. The internals of the trans are far different than those found in the “normal reman” trans. I had a hydro pump and used that with a remote filter to flush the radiator trans fluid cooling section. YOU MUST replace the small trans cooler (and I believe the lines) with new one. Also, in my case I live in the salt belt and I would suggest getting a new trans controller pig tail for the trans, when I pulled the old trans the pins we corroded. I bought an aftermarket plug off e-bay. Slip shrink tubing on the wires and solder all connections then shrink the tubes and tape it up. I also used Dielectric grease (it's non-conductive) on plug in connectors and on the "O" ring seal to prevent future corrosion. Total cost was around $3600...

I replaced the trans myself with the help of one friend – it weighs a little over 300 pounds. Use a torque wrench to tighten torque converter bolts. I marked the drive shaft coupling at the rear end before removing – don’t know if it makes a difference but I did it anyway – also replaced the u-joints before reinstalling

The trans comes filled with synthetic trans fluid – you’ll need extras to top it off once installed – do not over fill. I used Mobil 1 syn trans fluid. Also there is a tag (sticker) that attaches to the trans dipstick indicating that only synth fluid is to be used.

I do not remember exactly but the HD does have fewer restrictions on it as far as the warrinty goes – check it out.

You'll need the vin, and the number off the trans - plastic tag to order reman trans. It used to be that you needed to remove the trans and take it to Ford but now they will check the trans while in the vehicle. The trans out of your truck must be correct for your make and model to get the 1k core charge returned.

I’ve put 12k on the van since the change and really like it. I do not have any mods on my van and the trans is probably overkill for the towing I do but I’m confident that I’ll get another 191k out of it.

Hope this helps…

2000 E350, no mods, Ford HD reman 4R100, Tekonsha P3® Electronic Brake Controller

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info with the van! Its much help to us all. The poster previous to you was the first person that has asked me for a van HD transmission. The pdf file attached to my first post does not show the van applications, but the elecronic does indeed list the E vans.

As for the differences between the 99-00 and 01-03 I wouldn't know the technical differences My computer just gives me part numbers, no descriptions. There can be quite a few different tag numbers between years, with sometimes minimal differences between them. I'm guessing someone who knows the actual physical differences may chine in, or maybe ask one of the tranny gurus on the board. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey guys

There has been some questions about the 4R100 HD transmissions

Attatched is some info and application guide, which should hopfully be some
help.

They do only make them for the 99-03 S-DUTY with the 7.3

They come with a 3yr/100k parts and labor warranty, valid at any Ford dealership or independent shop.

Also, the cooler will have to be replaced for warranty purposes (not a bad idea anyways!)

These will run $2730, plus $1000 core. While the core must me complete and assembled, but condition does not matter. The core itself can be junk, but thats fine with Ford :ford:

There are typically no freight charges if shipped to a business.

PM me or call me for details

Thanks!
-Mike R
Tousley Ford

View attachment 6333

View attachment 6339
Mike
Can you confirm what converter they use? is it the 6.0 converter? and if the trans Must be replaced which of the 2 transmission coolers should it be replaced with. Ones like $230 and the other ones like $425.

Ace

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike
Can you confirm what converter they use? is it the 6.0 converter? and if the trans Must be replaced which of the 2 should it be replaced with. Ones like $230 and the other ones like $425.

Ace

The converter is the same as the HD unit offered, but does not have a forged heat treated hub or billet cover

View attachment HDTorqueConverterFAQ.pdf

While the cooler must be replaced, the stock $200 cooler is fine with Ford. One of the larger coolers can be used as well.

·
Registered
940 Posts
So let me try and get my mind wrapped around what replacement 7.3l transmission and torque converter options are available from Tousley Ford:

Options:

1. Regular 4R100 reman with a regular torque converter

2. HD4R100 Reman...WITH a torque converter, but WITHOUT billet cover, and WITHOUT forged heat treated hub

3. HD torque converter alone, WITH Billet cover, WITH forged heat treated hub, but WITHOUT a transmission!

4. 6.0L torque converter for a 5R110W that people found a way to fit to a 4R100

Are these ALL the 7.3L transmission replacement options available from Tousley Ford?

Is there a way to save money by getting options 2+3 in one package, by getting the TQ of Option 3 without paying for the included TQ of Option 2?

Is the 6.0 TQ of Option 4 better than, equal to, or not as good as the HD TQ of Option 3?

While the FAQ for the HD TQ in Option 3 mentions the aftermarket TQ's of Banks, ATS, and Precision, is there any comparision information on the net that details the differences between these converters? They are all billet, but what about the construction of the impellors, stator, blades, splines, etc that the Ford FAQ mentions? While not a question for Tousley, does anyone else know these details for any of the aftermarket converters, such as the converter that Brian of BTS uses?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So let me try and get my mind wrapped around what replacement 7.3l transmission and torque converter options are available from Tousley Ford:

Options:

1. Regular 4R100 reman with a regular torque converter

2. HD4R100 Reman...WITH a torque converter, but WITHOUT billet cover, and WITHOUT forged heat treated hub

3. HD torque converter alone, WITH Billet cover, WITH forged heat treated hub, but WITHOUT a transmission!

4. 6.0L torque converter for a 5R110W that people found a way to fit to a 4R100

Are these ALL the 7.3L transmission replacement options available from Tousley Ford?

Is there a way to save money by getting options 2+3 in one package, by getting the TQ of Option 3 without paying for the included TQ of Option 2?

Is the 6.0 TQ of Option 4 better than, equal to, or not as good as the HD TQ of Option 3?

These are all options availabe from us, or any other Ford dealer (we'll have the best $$ of course :icon_wink:)

Unfortunatley, there is not a way to get a different torque converter available for the HD transmission. The HD converter is aimed more at people with a bullet proof BTS, or some other "hi performance" transmission. The HD transmission very well built, but more aimed at both individuals or fleets looking for an upgrade for hauling and towing, not as much for something indistructible for heavily tuned trucks.

The 6.0 converter will not be as good as the HD converter option #3. I'm guessing its somewhere comparable (if not maybe the same?) as the converter in the HD transmssion. Thats one of the more technical specs I wish were available to us from Ford.

As for how the HD converter is compared to the aftermarkets, thats something I'd be curious about as well. These seem to be not very well known, and would like to see how they are compared to the best in the aftermaket.

·
Registered
160 Posts
5R110 Reman Tranny

Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 with 140K on a 5R110 tranny. It looks like it is getting ready to go as I have a hard down shift from 3rd to 2nd only. Dealer says it is something mechanical inside and to look at replacing it as to performing open heart surgery on it. What is the cost for a reman 5r110 with a new TQ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2003 with 140K on a 5R110 tranny. It looks like it is getting ready to go as I have a hard down shift from 3rd to 2nd only. Dealer says it is something mechanical inside and to look at replacing it as to performing open heart surgery on it. What is the cost for a reman 5r110 with a new TQ?

Thanks,
Thats not good!:icon_frown:

$2514.58, and have the $1000 core as well. Just as with the 4R100, these come with a 3yr/unlimited mileage warranty. I believe all of the Torqshifts come with coolers. You may need a $23 external filter if not included.

If this goes to a business, we can usually manage free freight, including core pickup :thumbsup:

Thanks
Mike R

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the response Mike I ended up getting it put in by the dealer I bought it from. The whole shabang for $4K tranny, TC, and new tranny cooler so based on your prices they are only getting me for a few hundred bucks which I can live with. Everyone has to make a living. Glad I'm not getting taken for a ride.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response Mike I ended up getting it put in by the dealer I bought it from. The whole shabang for $4K tranny, TC, and new tranny cooler so based on your prices they are only getting me for a few hundred bucks which I can live with. Everyone has to make a living. Glad I'm not getting taken for a ride.
Glad to hear they helped you out. For the most part, these have been fairly durable transmissions; hopefully this one will last another couple hundred thousand :thup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ok, so after reading this thread I have a couple questions...

1. Is the warranty still valid if you have a chip/programmer on your truck?

2. Is the warranty still valid if you install it yourself?

Thanks for sharing this info by the way, it's helped me understand more about the HD4R100.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so after reading this thread I have a couple questions...

1. Is the warranty still valid if you have a chip/programmer on your truck?

2. Is the warranty still valid if you install it yourself?

Thanks for sharing this info by the way, it's helped me understand more about the HD4R100.

The warranty unfortunately would not be valid if they caught you with a chip.

The warranty is valid if you install yourself. If there is warranty work that is done, I believe it would need to be done at a dealer. For some people this is a plus, since they do not have to mess with it themselves. For other people, they do not want someone else working on their truck.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, can you update us on the current price and if you have any more info and or feedback from folks that bought the HD 4r100

Thanks

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Replied to your PM :yesnod:

$2802 plus $1000 core. We can usually manage free shipping as well if its going to a business.

So far we have had good luck with these. I'm not aware of any problems so far from the ones we have sold. We sold a couple to employees, and have been good.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts