The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
When you checked the fluid level was the engine idling and the trans in park?

Did you put a new filter in it?
Yes fluid was checked at idk in park. After I checked It. I drive it and checked again level is just short of perfect,

the filter I changed with in the last 2 months with little miles Put on. So no I didn’t

I may have narrowed then bolt passage on front of trans too cooler when I had to weld it. I may need to drill that back to spec . It’s Not filled it’s just smaller.

I did get the filter in good and trans wasn’t jolted at all during install. I’m working on it now. I’ll check back for a reply Incase u are able to tonight

·
Super Moderator
11,973 Posts
It's possible that the filter fell out. I recommend getting a pressure gauge and installing it in the test port on the driver's side of the trans. It is a 1/8" NPT thread.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I’ll drop pan tomorrow and check filter also I can run a pressure gauge I have. My temp gaugE there as of now.. is there somthing els I should be looking at.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’ll drop pan tomorrow and check filter also I can run a pressure gauge I have. My temp gaugE there as of now.. is there somthing els I should be looking at.
Getting ready to start working on the truck.. I had a couple thoughts on setting up a full time pressure gage ran into my cab. I’d want to use this at the pressure test port.. or ? Is there a better spot... Also I have my banks temp sensor.. right now it’s in the test port. My thought is couldn’t I just tap into the temp sensor return wire ( pin 8 on trans solenoid harness ) I’d think these location for each gauge will give the best results for both. I have every thing I need to do it this way. As long at the sending wire for tot will work with my temp gauge.

if that will work 🤯😎.. if u know it won’t fee free to save me time if u know a better way/places to put these please advise.

·
Super Moderator
11,973 Posts
There is no other port to measure pressure. Either measure it there or do not measure it. Those are your choices.

Tapping into the TOT wire will not run your gauge and will have the added benefit of making the TOT signal to the PCM not work, either. Don't even think of doing this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
There is no other port to measure pressure. Either measure it there or do not measure it. Those are your choices.

Tapping into the TOT wire will not run your gauge and will have the added benefit of making the TOT signal to the PCM not work, either. Don't even think of doing this.
I know that’s the only spot For pressure that’s ok.. I want another for temp Sensor can I tap into the sensor singalong return wire coming from in the trans for my Aftermarket temp gauge

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I know that’s the only spot For pressure that’s ok.. I want another for temp Sensor can I tap into the sensor singalong return wire coming from in the trans for my Aftermarket temp gauge
Ok I was going to leave it goingto the pcm also but ur saying hell no don’t do it?

·
Super Moderator
11,973 Posts
Do NOT tap into the EEC harness to run the gauge. It will not work, and it will cause a problem with the EEC, too.

Unfortunately, the test port is the best place for the temp sender. Neither the pan nor either cooler line is as good. I don't have a recommendation for where else to place the temp sender.

What I would do is install the pressure gauge, fix this problem, then remove the pressure gauge and put the temp sensor back in. I've had pressure gauges installed before and other than diagnosing a specific problem I don't see what you gain from having a pressure gauge day to day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Do NOT tap into the EEC harness to run the gauge. It will not work, and it will cause a problem with the EEC, too.

Unfortunately, the test port is the best place for the temp sender. Neither the pan nor either cooler line is as good. I don't have a recommendation for where else to place the temp sender.

What I would do is install the pressure gauge, fix this problem, then remove the pressure gauge and put the temp sensor back in. I've had pressure gauges installed before and other than diagnosing a specific problem I don't see what you gain from having a pressure gauge day to day.
Ok Thinking about it now I’d have to agree temp is way more important.If my pressure goes low I’m sure the transmission will let me know Amd won’t matter if I do or don’t have a gauge...

So after running the gauge my pressure was all over. Then would fall to basically nothing. I took the cooler lines off. Hooked them together to see if maybe it was clogged. Pressure was The same. I notice my brand new fluid was really dark. Don’t smell burnt like before i tie it down. This point I new to drain and take off the pan. I blew air thew all the lines as the fluid was being drained. It was really dark fluid. Not once was it ever over 200 degrees and only 20 miles or so.. No reason to be dark. After seeing all this.. the pan Was off. I notice the amount of metal right away but just the grey stuff on the magnet. No chunks at all But a fair amount Of the gray sludge like metal. It was threw out my Valve body and my pan.. I blew at air threw the lines and threw the converter one of the holes on the valve body accumulator.. at first heard a light noise the I watch the same gray slug fall out the pressure valve I believe Then the valve started working as it should. Also found 🤦‍♂️ some of the gasket maker in the pan. That prolly didn’t help.

I believe all this was still in the converter. I drove it a lot of miles with it not engaging and a few times with a lot of heat.. After the replacing seals and gaskets and fixing stuck valve in pump the. cleaning it . The converter did engage . So Im guessing here, but seems like from the actions the converter was full of sludge.. when it kicked on it ran threw the system. Then Clogged system the pressure valve ( pressure regulator not sure ) was stuck, Possibly the cooler also had sludge.

I don’t think anything is broke. it was working. I think sludge just got moving and clogged thing. So now cleaning valve body again. Then New filter(s) internal and external. Prolly better off getting a new cooler. Not sure I will Install it yet, because it didn’t get hot When I drove it last time.also I’d rather run any other particles threw older cooler. After I do this if all goes well Ill change fluids and filters after a few hundred miles. Clean out what I can this way. To get as much life as I can out of it. At this point. I know it’s time to order the Master rebuilt kit and be ready.

any thing you need to correct me on or direct me on doing with my findings to? or questions to help u understand my situation to assist better? im goingto call it a night. Starting tomorrow as early as I can. I gotta go get more fluid yet again smh . Should I add any type of additive to assist in the system or just use correct fluid and make sure the levels are correct and go?

As always ty for your time Mark..

·
Super Moderator
11,973 Posts
I don't know of any additive that will help. I think you will be very lucky if you get more miles out of this trans.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I don't know of any additive that will help. I think you will be very lucky if you get more miles out of this trans.
Well my luck is devastating or Out of no where positively unreal just in time and just enough to allow me to handle my working dream the way I wish.. I hope the good karma is on my side for at least 1000 loaded miles. 🙏. If I get that🙏 .. I’ll have my master rebuilt kit on its way. And because of my time working on it.. since I had your help and a 16 episodeS of a tech also named mark that rebuilds these.. he Does it with a lot of detail in classroom setting style video🤓... Y’all have been simply amazing to offer your time. I don’t know if you know what your help has done for me. I definitely do can’t thank you enough...
Hopefully I can add some internal upgrades to assist with the weight it carries and pulls.

All this started from one thing. Heat in the transmission.. reason for heat.. the brake pedal. It wouldn’t fully come all the way back up. No drag on brakes but left the brake lights on. Heated up until flashed light started.. Not paying enough attention to your Rpm couple times on highway 🛣 wasn’t good.....

I’ll let ya know how it works out.
Ty as always keep up the help. Lol one more thing. The direct answers you give and the people get upset about it.. lol 😝 my thoughts 🤣. Your direct answers helped me understand. 😎 you got your rep for sure on this transmission..

41 - 53 of 53 Posts