The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mark while driving down the fwy the trans seemed to kick into neutral, i coasted off fwy and had no trans engagement in any gear. I dropped the pan to check filter and feeder bolts, the filter had fallen out and I thought it was my lucky day, I put a new filter in put it back together and had same problem. I pulled the trans and discovered the input shaft had sheared off in the converter. My question is does this warrant a complete rebuild ? There was very little fine metal pieces in the pan and none in the internal filter. When I was draining the converter a couple of small metal chunks came out of the converter. The input shaft that I installed on the rebuild was supposed to be a Gucci hardened one.

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
You can probably get away without a rebuild.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help Mark !!
BTW I couldn’t get the sheared off input shaft out of the converter so I’ve no choice but to replace it. Can you think of any reason the shaft sheared off like that. There was no unusual load on the trans, when it gave up it was almost a coast situation with cruise control engaged.

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
It's probably been breaking for a long time. The final piece happened to snap during a low load condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts