The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E450 7.3 PSD, 4R100, on svo/wmo, 13k lbs curb
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

99 E450, psd 7.3 4r100
Recently drained tranny fluid, replaced fluid and filter. Fitted a temp gauge to keep a eye on things and a switch on the torque lockup to keep things cool hauling up hills.

Been doing well over last 1000km on some big hills towing 10k lbs trailer.
Shifts very well.

Today at some point it wouldnt shift into third for a minute, i attributed it to the OD button being into 4th.
A few other times it seemed to have gone to neutral when i was expecting it to jump into third..

Pulled over this evening at a weight station and idled for a few hours.. now no reverse.

I found a post mentionning the "direct clutch".

Is it pooched? Will it drive in forward gears? Did i ask too much of the poor thing?

Definitely a bit of a pickle, we got the whole family packed in the truck driving to our new home on the east coast, havent got too much time to mess around :(

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
Your symptoms point to a problem with the direct clutch. The direct is used in reverse, third, and fourth gears. If the clutch totally fails it will still have first and second gears, but that's all. I suspect the trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Sorry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,
I cant thank you enough for the prompt reply.

How likely is it that the direct has failed because of the heavy tow?
Would that have been caused by high temps?

Ive rebuilt a few manual trans and diffs, but never been near autos, is that something mortals can figure out?

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
High temps can cause a clutch to fail, and towing heavy can cause high temps.

This trans is not that difficult to build. I recommend getting a manual from www.atsg.com. There are also plenty of videos around that show how.

Reactions: rc4man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck sat for two days. Reverse is working.
Do you reckon the trans might hang on for a bit before it fails to shift in fwd gear entirely.
We would definitely not be towing as heavy from this point on, and big hills are behind us.
Thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts