The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had the transmission rebuild, picked it up two weeks ago tomorrow. (maybe 300 miles on it)
The shop was highly recommended and does a lot of fleet work. I called them today to schedule a two week follow up (its stated on the work order I must do) and to retrieve my two year warranty.
I set an appointment for Friday morning and asked if the could do a test drive with there snap on scan tool. They had no problem with me coming in Friday morning but wanted to know why I wanted them to scan it.
I let them know the truck is not holding fist gear and slamming into second premature.
I was told that sounds like a computer issue...
Basically i took the truck in to have the tranny fixed. It worked fine for over a week and went back to the same issues I was having prior to spending $$$. Does this sound right?
If they are correct and the computer is the issue is it as simple as a new flash? Or do i need a new PCM? I cant see any codes (pulling from a sct tuner) ,no cel, no flashing od light and the fluid is clean and full.
Thank you for any info and advice,
JPC

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
It's very rarely the computer. It usually is bad info from one or more of the sensors. Someone that has a good scan tool and knows what to look for can find the problem.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mark,
I will Post what they find and the the snap on model scan tool they are using.
Thank you again.
JPC

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Why can't it be the computer ??
I had my DP Tuner doing the same thing when I first installed the chip on the computer. I had the shifting program/profile on the chip redone to eliminate the hard shifts.
Does your new trans shift differently when you remove your chip ??

·
Registered
628 Posts
Like Mark said it is likely bad info from one of your sensors. The last time I had a similar issues (and was really pissed due to the fact that my trans has been replaced somewhat recently) it turned out to be a bad ICP! No codes, but if the motor isn't powering properly even if unnoticeable, the trans can do funny things...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok today as I was going to park my 2000 F350 7.3L with an automatic transmission I noticed a trail of fluid coming from my truck and when I stepped out I noticed it was coming from where my engine and transmission came together. Also after I parked it really started pouring out. What could possibly be my problem? (Worst and best case) Also I checked my transmission fluid level after noticing the fluid leak and barely any was showing up on my dipstick.

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
Likely your front seal. They will leak when hot. Were you doing anything to heat the transmission up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
What could possibly be my problem? (Worst and best case)
Best case: The torque converter hub seal (also called the front seal) is worn and leaking.
Worst case: The torque converter has developed a crack (very rare, but possible.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts