The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gutted my 4r100 and found that some splines were destroyed. So I replaced the part and put it back together following the transmission bench 4r100 class by Jim on YouTube. Everything went together good at least I thought it did. I hoist the transmission back on the engine and put the required fluid into the truck. On the drive reverse works but when first shift into reverse it hits really really hard. 2nd works. And drive kinda works, drive will not shift leaving it in one gear. And drive also seems weak and delayed, and If I rev up in drive the transmission will whine. Over drive light flashes only when in reverse, the light will shut off when driving forward.
Mark if you’re still out there I could really use some help.
Thank you all

truck is an early 1999 f250 7.3 4x4

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
Read the codes. The flashing light means codes have been stored. Forscan is a great way to do that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read the codes. The flashing light means codes have been stored. Forscan is a great way to do that.
Finally got the code reader. Hooked it up and this is what I found
P0713 TFT sensor circuit high voltage input

P0755 shift solenoid 2 electrical fault

P0743 TCC circuit indicated the solenoid as on (low voltage) when requested off (high voltage)

P1754 CCS electrical fault

P0603 power interruption on KAPWR circuit

P0705 TR sensor circuit in range fault

P0708 TR sensor circuit high input
Seeing all codes are electronic maybe I need a solenoid pack?
Mark K you know better than I would.
thank you for the OBD scanner tip this is my new favorite

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
You most likely have a damaged wiring harness between the PCM and the transmission.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You most likely have a damaged wiring harness between the PCM and the transmission.
So I checked all the wires today. I took the whole wiring harness out and inspected. All wires looked brand new. I was told to buy a neutral safety switch and it would fix my problems. So I did. And it actually took at lot of the codes away. And the transmission isn’t stuck in second gear anymore. Unfortunately it’s not all fixed from this point. I still have two codes and they re appear so I know it’s current.

P0717 turbine speed sensor circuit no signal

P0715 turbine speed sensor circuit malfunction

Those are the two that are left. And the last problem is that like I said drive is not longer stuck in 2nd gear it is now stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. Not sure which one I just know it is definitely a higher gear that before.
What could be happening here?
you’re a huge help and I appreciate your responses, thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
What's happening is that you have a damaged wiring harness. Looking at the wires is next to useless.

If you want to find out what's wrong with the wiring you need a multimeter. Take the harness out again, and check the circuit to the turbine speed sensor for continuity from end to end. While you are at it, it would be good to check each wire in the harness.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's happening is that you have a damaged wiring harness. Looking at the wires is next to useless.

If you want to find out what's wrong with the wiring you need a multimeter. Take the harness out again, and check the circuit to the turbine speed sensor for continuity from end to end. While you are at it, it would be good to check each wire in the harness.
Yesterday I checked both speed sensor wiring Harness and the neutral safety switch and the coil pack plug for continuity and everything came back with a signal.
What should I check next?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yesterday I checked both speed sensor wiring Harness and the neutral safety switch and the coil pack plug for continuity and everything came back with a signal.
What should I check next?
What kind of "signal"?
You have to check with an ohmmeter to check the resistance of each wire from end to end.

·
Premium Member
8,745 Posts
Is the “ signal” you referr to the audible setting on your multimeter or Power Probe?
Do you have a Power Probe? They are worth more than their weight in gold. You can do all your readings and way more. There is also another Power Probe tool kit that will work in unison with the Power Probe. It will send a signal down a wire bundle in a harness. You hover the Power Probe tip over the harness. When it comes over/ below or to the point where there is damaged wires inside of that harness, the Power Probe will instantly alert you and pinpoint the location. Mine is a Power Probe 4 or 5. I don’t recall at this moment. I don’t remember the signal sending tool kit number. It’s 11:00 PM and I am inside. I’ll post it tomorrow.
I am by no means a “ Transmission guy” however the original trans in my personal truck acted kind of the way yours is. I found trans fluid in the shift solenoid connector socket. Back then, I occasionally snow plowed if we got a good two or three foot storm. I was always paranoid that that std. 4R100 would wear out especially when dealing with snow drifts out hear in the country that can exceed four feet so I put a 6.0 trans cooler in with a new 4R100 HDwith the triple disc converter that same with it. Cha Ching $$. Next year very little snow. Following year a blizzard. Looked at it and said, I hate getting stuck, hate slip and falls, hate exposing the girl to salt, hate having the phone non stop blowing up, hate being up non stop for three days. Sooo.. I sold my customer contacts to a customer of mine that plows.
The only time I’ve been inside of a 4r100 was a customers Excursion the had fluid in the shift solenoid socket. When I removed the shift solenoid pack, there was a crack in the gasket so I replaced the separator plate that has a gasket on both sides. That plate has a filter plug shaped. Under the plate is a steel ball on a spring. Then there a number of plastic balls. Most are smaller and 3 ( I think) that are larger. I noted to self that if that trans is not pointing straight up and those balls are not in the right place… problems. Not saying these internal things are your problem but it’s tricky in their for rookies🙂

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the “ signal” you referr to the audible setting on your multimeter or Power Probe?
Do you have a Power Probe? They are worth more than their weight in gold. You can do all your readings and way more. There is also another Power Probe tool kit that will work in unison with the Power Probe. It will send a signal down a wire bundle in a harness. You hover the Power Probe tip over the harness. When it comes over/ below or to the point where there is damaged wires inside of that harness, the Power Probe will instantly alert you and pinpoint the location. Mine is a Power Probe 4 or 5. I don’t recall at this moment. I don’t remember the signal sending tool kit number. It’s 11:00 PM and I am inside. I’ll post it tomorrow.
I am by no means a “ Transmission guy” however the original trans in my personal truck acted kind of the way yours is. I found trans fluid in the shift solenoid connector socket. Back then, I occasionally snow plowed if we got a good two or three foot storm. I was always paranoid that that std. 4R100 would wear out especially when dealing with snow drifts out hear in the country that can exceed four feet so I put a 6.0 trans cooler in with a new 4R100 HDwith the triple disc converter that same with it. Cha Ching $$. Next year very little snow. Following year a blizzard. Looked at it and said, I hate getting stuck, hate slip and falls, hate exposing the girl to salt, hate having the phone non stop blowing up, hate being up non stop for three days. Sooo.. I sold my customer contacts to a customer of mine that plows.
The only time I’ve been inside of a 4r100 was a customers Excursion the had fluid in the shift solenoid socket. When I removed the shift solenoid pack, there was a crack in the gasket so I replaced the separator plate that has a gasket on both sides. That plate has a filter plug shaped. Under the plate is a steel ball on a spring. Then there a number of plastic balls. Most are smaller and 3 ( I think) that are larger. I noted to self that if that trans is not pointing straight up and those balls are not in the right place… problems. Not saying these internal things are your problem but it’s tricky in their for rookies🙂
Yes it can be difficult but I’d rather take the time and mistakes to learn than leave my problems to someone else. But I have changed my solenoid and still had the same problem. My multi meter was on a continuity setting where as long as the signal went from one side of the plug to the other side it gave me the number 0 and if there was no signal or reading it said number 1. If there was a weak reading it would say .473 for example. But every single plug I tested all came back with 0 which is the best I can get. But after changing my solenoid and neutral safety switch all codes but the speed sensor were gone. In the future I am gonna buy a new speed sensor and if that doesn’t work then I’m gonna get a wiring harness from my donor truck. My problems with my truck are still consistent just haven’t posted in a while. Got busy. Thank you everyone for your help. Im also curios. I did have my transmission completely gutted and I put it all back together with a calm mind nothing seemed out of place or made me nervous. The pump went on good and the TQ went on good. So I wonder if it has nothing to do wi the the wiring but the coast clutch isn’t in the right spot and the speed sensor can’t read it. I’m not sure, just thought to ask and see if it’s a possibility. Thank you everyone again and have a great day. Looking forward to all your help

·
Premium Member
8,745 Posts
I am sorry. The curiosity is killin’ me. Why in the world did you not install a new turbine speed sensor ( especially with it being conveniently located on top of trans) and a new output sensor when you had that trans out?
They are the same part for future reference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sorry. The curiosity is killin’ me. Why in the world did you not install a new turbine speed sensor ( especially with it being conveniently located on top of trans) and a new output sensor when you had that trans out?
They are the same part for future reference.
Because I didn’t have to buy any parts and was using parts from a donor truck I’ve had for a while. So I was just using process of elimination trying to figure out what’s bad and what’s not. I’m also gonna take the wiring harness from the donor truck as well

·
Premium Member
8,745 Posts
I feel that it is not prudent to install 20 something year old sensors on something that you have gone that far into especially when one in particular is practically impossible to change with the trans installed but ok.
So upon me rereading this thread this, whine you describe concerns me. Did You install the plastic thrust washer behind the pump with its tits in their locating holes in the back of pump?
Did you install the bearing into its cup of the pump with the full width metal face side of bearing assembly into the cup. Did you use trans assembly goop or petroleum jelly to hold both in place during assembly?

1 - 20 of 190 Posts