The Diesel Stop banner
141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Your post just came through in straight edge clearance. Good?
The straight edge is good no gaps big enough to fit the .002 gauge in. Also the output shaft did wiggle. I will be replacing the bushings during the build and be sure not to lift from the out shaft again. I believe that’s why the bushings got damaged and allowed wiggling. I believe my metal shavings came from the air to fluid cooler, it completely slipped my mind to replace that before. Also my dad suggested it could possibly be everything mating together, is that possible as well?

glad to hear that my transmission acne spots are ok lol

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
And when I said, strip it…..
Give the revers piston a light pop if air through the valve body area to get it out of there. Mark that low/reverse inner sprag race is at 5:00 with the top of transmission at 12:00. Unbolt it. Verdict the feed port on that race was at 5:00 when you mounted it.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
No lifting by that shaft again.
No on the mating theory.

when you order the rear bushing. Get the Sonnax one piece bushing. Do a search for thread that I authored on it.
Have you gotten your ATSG 4R100 manual yet? It’s $25 if not do so tonight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I know without a shadow of a doubt I got the sprag race in the right spot I vividly remember taking a sharpie and marking the area.
Yes I have the bushing with me and also waiting on the book should be here between the 8th and 15th ordered yesterday

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
And don’t be buckin’. This is the thrums time that you have been in this thing. You thought a lot of things in the pasts builds on this puppy and here you are.
You are right there. Just do it. It might have been at your five o’clock but the top of the transmission might not have been at 12:00 because Voodo Mamma Ju Ju turned the case while you were at lunch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Not much surface area for the pliers in that thing. Do put it in the groove on installation. Get a new one. You have opened it an aweful lot. Get it close. Tap it home with a log pry bar and listen for the snap.
Ok I will get a new one.
Are you instructing me to start the build process now? Or are we just doing a quick build to test end play?

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
No. I’ve been up since 5 AM. I spent the better part of my day under a truck in a muddy field, under a truck in a field in the rain, cutting a mile of bailing wire off a driveshaft and soldering and heat shrinking about a dozen ripped wires.
It’s almost 9:00.
I can hang for a few minutes and then I have to call it for the night.
You need to find those two threads that I did.
You need to make sure that you have ordered the intermediate and forward clutch loading tool that I told you to get. You will be building them and assembling them to get her, testing them, all on the bench. You will be installing them together. You will need that tool for that. It’s not much money. If you have not ordered the Sonnax vacuum test stand and don’t have the $240, Go toDad and say, I want to do this right. Third time is a charm. I don’t want torip this thing apart a little down the road because I didn’t realize these valve bores were so worn. Can I please put it on your company card. I will pay it off. You can take ot out of my check. Stare him straight in the eye.
Did you put a chain on that output shaft when you were lifting? You need to roll that shaft and make sure that it and the OSS gear are both true and undamaged.
I also your hinky valve body bolt raises my eyebrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Yeah I just got home now so it’s a day for me. And it sounds like your day went the same as my supposed vacation at silver lake. But instead of mud I had sand.
I will get tools ordered tomorrow, the book was top of my list.
No chain was ever involved just when I lowered the heavy built trans on the jack from the table I used the output shaft as a handle along with the top of the bell housing. i will check the gear for damage tomorrow.
I know, I went to every fastener store I had near me and that was the closest I could get. In my honest opinion though I think it holds great. But that’s probably why I’m a rookie at this lol. I will see about ordering new bolts too if you think it’s a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Difference was he was handed a bill.
I’ll look in my ATSG manual and screen shot the bolt identification page for you. It shows them in actual size, where they go and their sizes. You might be fine with what you have Logan but from here, I do not like it.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Enlarge photo and you will see where each bolt goes.
Logan, You must blow out each hole to make sure that there is 0 debris and fluid before putting any bolt into the valve body area or you can get a false torque reading. Also always start in the center, crisscrossing and alternating end to end off of center, working outward.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Logan, when you assembled last time, did you pull the reverse drum up to get the snap ring in? Was it in place when you disassembled this time? It keeps that drum from going too far back and making contact.
You complained that things seemed tight when you put the truck in reverse.
Get that reverse piston out and inspect for damage.
Put an .002 feeler gauge in and try to get it under the sprag inner race. It has a very tight fit on its inner bore to case. You may have started it cocked, especially with that reverse piston spring cage there and it cocked and did not properly seat into the case when you tightened it. You need to pull it after, regardless to verify oil feed port location.
Get after it, Logan.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
You certainly need to pull that that reverse piston and low/reverse inner sprag race as I outlined.
You should have photographed where all of your check balls were when you took the separator plate off.
You should have straight edge clearance checked the valve body area before you removed the center support.
You should have verified the EPC pressure blow off relief ball and spring were in place when you removed the separator plate.
You need to pull out the valves in the pump. Do so, one at a time. Place the components in zip lock bags and label.
Im wrapping up lunch then working.
Il check in on you tonight.
You will get there Logan.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts