The Diesel Stop banner
161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Went through and cleaned everything off. Nothing out of the ordinary. No unusual wear and tear. What is my next step? I will jump on when available, a car rolled in with bad waterpump and I have been summoned to that job lol

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Did you make sure that the correct end of the bushing is facing forward in case as indicated on the bushing? Did you align the oil feed port in bushing with port in the case.
You need to thoroughly wash out the lube passages in the output shaft and blow out with compressed air.
You need to do the same with all passages in the case.
You need to can the manufacturer of the stuff you used to glue the case at the bypass tube. Ask them if it will hold up to ATF and that kind of heat. Most epoxy based fixes will not.
You need to take your radiator out to get trans cooler in it flushed.
You need to order a new auxiliary trans cooler. Old one can’t be flushed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Did you make sure that the correct end of the bushing is facing forward in case as indicated on the bushing? Did you align the oil feed port in bushing with port in the case.
You need to thoroughly wash out the lube passages in the output shaft and blow out with compressed air.
You need to do the same with all passages in the case.
You need to can the manufacturer of the stuff you used to glue the case at the bypass tube. Ask them if it will hold up to ATF and that kind of heat. Most epoxy based fixes will not.
You need to take your radiator out to get trans cooler in it flushed.
You need to order a new auxiliary trans cooler. Old one can’t be flushed.
The bushing went in the correct way and is lined up with feed port. I will pull the trans cooler off my parts truck. And start cleaning ports and output shaft. I will make the call to the pan patch at around 3Pm. If I finish those tasks what should I be thinking about next?

·
Super Moderator
12,249 Posts
You should be thinging about a new trans cooler. I would never use a used trans cooler on a rebuilt trans. That's just asking to do the work all over again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
You should be thinging about a new trans cooler. I would never use a used trans cooler on a rebuilt trans. That's just asking to do the work all over again.
Ok. I will get a new one I was just hoping to save a little as the other cooler never had a bad trans mated to it. Any particular brand or anything works as long as it’s new?

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
I concur with Mark on the cooler. You don’t want to risk it.
Logan, You need to pull your engine radiator out. It’s lower section is the first transmission fluid cooling. The fluid leave there and goes to your auxiliary trans cooler. Take it and your lines to a shop to be flushed on a machine. Then blow out with compressed air.
Logan, You need to lightly blow out that reverse piston. You need to clean out that fluid behind it.
You then need to remove that inner race sprag to verify that it did not get cocked and never seated properly.
You need to verify it’s orientation to its oil feed port in the case.
You need to spray and blow out the inner race’s lube ports.
Now that it is out, you need to spray the case’s lube passage.
You will need to disassemble all sub assemblies to do the same. I feel that it would be wise for you to hold off on the latter until your ATSG manual arrives so that you can look at a clear crisp large picture of each assembly so you can see any errors that you made on each unit.
DO NOT take any components out of the 3 valve bodies until your manual arrives and you have reappeared here.
Im ok with you pulling the components from the pump, one at a time and putting them in a labeled Zip Lok bags.
Then unbolt the pump halves. Check gear clearances and appearance. Take photo and post here of gears BEFORE you remove them.
Then straight edge clearance the pump face halves.
What is the ETA on your Sonnax vacuum test stand.
And don’t be missing steps and making me rewrite things. Remember that I have Mamma Voodoo Ju Ju on speed dial so don’t be buckin’
Thanks Mark, I really didn’t want to have to Instruct him on that cooler again.
You are doing good work Logan. Keep it up.👍

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
No, Keep the bodies in reserve. You also are not going to use them as a complete units, as you have no idea what they did with valves, springs and or shimming.
You need to decontaminate, start from scratch.
Have you downloaded and printed off the vacuum test diagrams from Sonnax yet?
Estimated time of delivery of your Sonnax vacuum stand is ?
You need to drain the fluid from your torque converter into a perfectly clean drain pan and report what you find.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Answer my above questions. You told Mark that you ordered a new auxiliary cooler ( which was necessary) but why would you buy a new engine radiator, rather than just get the trans cooler section of it flushed?
I don’t have anywhere to get it flushed. All transmission shops tell me they are booked out to next month. I have some air tools I could possibly use to try and do it myself

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
All sub assembly’s were gutted and clean except the pump. The rear sprag race was straight and I pulled and cleaned the reverse piston. My book came today which is why I completed the sub assembly clean out. I waited on the pump for pictures for tomorrow. I cleaned the case and output shaft with compressed air as well. I didn’t touch any of the valve bodies today either. And the rear race lube hole was lined up.

·
Premium Member
8,747 Posts
Logan, Do you feel more confident with that manual and the help that you are getting?
Have you received the tool to install the forward clutch drum and intermediate drum as one unit?
What is the delivery date of the Sonnax vacuum test stand?
I have taken the time to ask you many important questions, regarding your third go around with this transmission. You do not always respond to each question. Did you blow out the lube hole on the inner race? Did you do the same with all passages in the case? Have you drained the torque converter into an immaculate drain pain? Have you blown out hydraulic passages of each sub assembly?
Have you downloaded and printed off the vacuum testing diagrams from Sonnax?
Don’t you be skipping steps and questions, young man. I only repeat myself so many times, when helping. I see you having a promising future in you and is the only reason why I have spent untold hours of mutineers helping you. I am willing to help you but do not make me spend my time, constantly backpedal ing, asking you important questions that you chose not to answer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I try to respond and do each step. I obviously must me missing them. I will start numbering my process to hopefully help me see each strap more clearly and also tidy things up for communication.
1)I do feel more confident with the book it helps a lot that the parts are all broken down and visible if I need a visual
2) I have correct tool to assemble the forward clutch as one piece
3)sonnax canceled my order due to shipping issues so I don’t have the test stand yet I’ll have to process another order
4)the inner race was sprayed out with shop air along with all ports on casing,output shaft, and the inner race
5)TQ had been sitting in a bucket face down to try and drain all the oil out. Is there a better procedure?
6)I have only shot air into the assembly’s listed above so far
7)I have the sonnax sheet in front of me. I didn’t print it myself but I’m sure they doesn’t matter.
8)I haven’t been skipping any steps. My favorite quote in life is “no job is worth doing unless done right” which I know is kinda ironic given the situation I’m in but learning is also a good thing.
9)I appreciate the compliment about my future I do try very hard in everything I do. It means a lot. Thank you.
10)I deeply appreciate your help and I hope this resolves my uncommented steps I take.
11)I took a picture of the pump half’s before removing the gear as instructed, I also used a straight edge and found it’s straight. I began cleaning it to start blowing it with shop air.
12) I have been much slower in making progress on the transmission because I have been taking on more trucks at the shop to try hand get some more cash coming my way. Hopefully we can jump back on the train to getting this transmission done my truck looks to good to just be a yard decor.
13) thank you again for everything hopefully this resolves my communication issue and I look forward to hearing from you.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts