The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ya I ordered the Sonnax kit, it is supposed to be in the mail tomorrow and I will install it tomorrow. I am also doing the flow test tomorrow so I will let y'all know the results. Thanks again for everyone's support.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I performed the transmission flush with Valvoline MaxLife Transmission Fluid Dex/Merc Mercon LV synthetic transmission fluid. Was this the wrong fluid to use or is this acceptable?

Mark Kovalsky

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
I don't know for certain. The specs are so far apart for MERCON and MERCON LV that I don't see how one fluid could meet both specs.

I do know that MERCON LV will destroy a 4R100. You should have used a MERCON V fluid. Will the fluid you used destroy it? I don't know. You could either run an experiment and see if it dies or not, or flush it out with MERCON V.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mark Kovalsky I have read dozens of threads / forums about 4R100's and every single one has a reply from you. You say it needs Mercon V, then I will put Mercon V in it. The closest auto supply store did not have any Mercon V in stock when I did the flush and I was short on time. Looks like my 4R100 will be getting another flush tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Mark Kovalsky if you had to pick ONE Mercon V to use what would it be?

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok so I rebuilt the bypass valve. First flow test coming from the return cooling line, after 15 seconds I had 1/2 a quart... fail. Second flow test, removed the supply line going to the radiator, after 11 seconds I had a quart, pass. Third flow test, removed the return line coming out of the radiator (had some 3/4" hose that I put over the female fitting), after 13 seconds I had a quart, pass. So what do y'all think, clogged aux cooler? Is there a possibility that one of the cooling lines after the radiator has a clog?

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok my plan is to replace the aux cooler with a 6.0 cooler. Before connecting all the new stuff up I plan on taking the existing lines off. Push some weed wacker string all the way through the existing lines and connecting the weed wacker string to a drill. Spin it around a bunch of times and see what comes out. If I can't get the string through I know I have a clogged line. What do you think? Is there a better method for cleaning out the existing lines?

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Ok my plan is to replace the aux cooler with a 6.0 cooler. Before connecting all the new stuff up I plan on taking the existing lines off. Push some weed wacker string all the way through the existing lines and connecting the weed wacker string to a drill. Spin it around a bunch of times and see what comes out. If I can't get the string through I know I have a clogged line. What do you think? Is there a better method for cleaning out the existing lines?
It sure seems like any debris large enough to clog a line would have been captured in the cooler before hand. Is it possible that your line is bent?

Pushing a plastic line through the tubes will help convince you they are free of obstruction but its not like an EBP tube that gets hard carbon deposits on the walls.

Did you get a Dorman or a Motorcraft 6.0 cooler?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I got the Dorman one

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Smoking gun? I pulled my factory aux cooler and tried blowing air through it, nothing. I then took the cooler and hit with a rubber mallet a bunch of times. I was able to blow air through it, bunch of crap came out. Installed a 6.0 cooler and an inline filter. Performed a flow test, pass. Thanks for everyones help! Glad I don’t have to replace the tranny (yet).

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Soooooooo 5 months later from the original issue. Driving on a heavy traffic road maybe 20mph the factory tranny temp gauge need went to yellow. I pulled into a gas station to find tranny fluid pouring out from the front bellhousing.... had it towed to a transmission shop for diagnosis. At least blown front seal. Probably shot torque converter? Two weeks ago the tranny started acting weird. When I put into reverse backing out of the drive way the engine would stall and its been sluggish going into first. I was planning on taking it to the shop this Friday. What do you think Mark Kovalsky

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
I don't know about the converter, you haven't mentioned anything that tells me it would have a problem. Stalling in reverse is commonly caused by low trans fluid. If the seal started leaking before you noticed it that could cause low fluid and stalling.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Two weeks ago when it stalled going into reverse I put in park and started the truck back up. Checked the tranny fluid and it was good. Waited for 15min with the truck running and checked the tranny fluid, still good. I looked underneath and checked for any leaks and found nothing. BTW something I didn't mention, when I was having those issues in January I installed a Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Transmission filter on the return line between the tranny and aux cooler. After 20k miles in April I replaced that filter

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Daaaaggguuumm shop just called me. Said the tranny internals are shot and needs rebuilt. Quoted me $3k for a complete rebuild including a heavy duty torque converter. I was talking to the secretary and she couldn't answer any of my questions. Waiting on the mechanic to call me to talk details of what the rebuild would actually replace. Considering buying a BTS, Wood, or other built tranny. I am in South Carolina and I can imagine the shipping costs for the new one and old one for core charge will be $$$. Do you know of anybody that builds reputable 4r100s around me?

Mark Kovalsky

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
No, sorry, I don't know anyone in that area.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
3k isn’t STEEP for a basic rebuild

Dieselsite is in florida I believe.
They build a way better trans than your local shop will.

Sam wyse and Dorsey diesel are another good option.

Dorsey is sold through irate diesel

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Dieselsite is a good choice. They are in Crystal River, FL.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Here's the MotorCraft Part numbers for Ford Remanf Rebuilds...
Standard Duty; 1C3Z-7V000-FRM ............$2625.26 [AutoNation]
HD4R100 ; 6U2Z-7V000-FRM..........$3635.75 [AutoNation]
Have your rebuilder call the any dealer with these parts numbers and get a price from them
OR
You call AutoNation up in White Bear, Mn
and you get a price from them shipped to your shop

21 - 40 of 85 Posts