The Diesel Stop banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
6.0 cooler should be fine by itself but yes on the temp gage.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
I have never heard of anyone needing a second Cooler in addition to the 6.0 Cooler.

Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I really need advice on transmission parts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Can anybody comment on the part list for the tranny rebuild?

Ok this is the list I have so far. I still have some questions about what parts I can replace or upgraded. Any input is welcomed.

Transmission parts for rebuild/upgrade:
-Precision Stallion Triple Disc TC $1,140 (diesel innovations)
Or
-Diamond T Torque Converter 7.3L Power Stroke 650hp Triple Disk, Low Stall $580

Is the Precision TC worth the extra $600??

-TransGo Trugger kit 4R100-HD2 $75
-Sonnax Performance Pack HP-4R100-01 $150
-E4OD Forward Drum (Thread Plug)
-Suncoast Converters 4 Disc Coast Clutch Drum for 1999-2003 Ford 4R100 $350
-Suncoast Converters Dual Load Center Support for E4OD/4R100 $260

-SUNCOAST CONVERTERS XTREME REBUILD KIT FOR 1999-2003 FORD 4R100 $600
or
-RACER X USA Ultimate Clutch Kit for Ford 4R100 transmissions $520
Is there a better complete rebuild kit??

-Transfer case gasket $5
-Red Eagle High Performance Band $18

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I guess there are no builders here to help with your list. Most just farm it out and pay the price.
Free bump.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I know quite a few people who bypasses the radiator section of the cooling system.

They have zero issues with temp increases. They run a 6.0 cooler.

You can get the PI converter for 700 from cncfab

I would do the sonnax zip kit. It comes with OD snap ring upgrade, one piece rear bushing, valve body mods, pump mods, center support mod(will require a lathe but is super important)

You won’t need a billet Input unless your 450+

If your staying sub 375hp go with raybestos GPZ clutches. After that you need increased clutch counts with GPZ or BW full thickness frictions.

Don’t go with red alto kits. They have thinner clutches to achieve a higher count.

Get a 45 element intermediate sprag and hardened sunshell from Oregon perf trans.

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
I know quite a few people who bypasses the radiator section of the cooling system.

They have zero issues with temp increases. They run a 6.0 cooler.
Try doing a lot of low speed heavy towing, especially backing up. Then see how hot the trans is.

If you only tow in forward, never get stuck in traffic, and tend to stay above ~40 MPH you'll be fine without the radiator cooler.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Dropped the tranny today. Happy 4th!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
Please put a jack stand under the front and rear axles. I've seen those cinder blocks crumble seemingly out of nowhere. That would not be fun if you were under there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I took the blocks out as soon as I was done and I was never under the truck with them under there! Just needed the room to slide it out.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Right now I am leaning toward Dorsey 4r100 Stage 2 transmission. Has anybody had experience with dieselsite transmissions?

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
I've never owned one from Dieselsite, but I have talked with the owner, Bob Riley, at length. He knows these transmissions. He occasionally calls me for consultations, as recently as an hour ago. I'd run one if I needed a trans.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Greetings Hunter;
I can't say anything about DieselSite, but..
I will recommend the Ford Reman. 4R100 rebuild
You get a 3 yr., 100,000 mile warranty anywhere in the US...
The only caveat is, you've got to install an updated oil cooler in addition to the rebuilt 4R100
I've got 6 yrs, and 60,000 on mine so far and everything seems fine..
Cost me a total of a little over $3000 back then...
Hope it all works out for you

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I would replace the cooler not try to flush it. They are cheap.
DENNY

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know for certain. The specs are so far apart for MERCON and MERCON LV that I don't see how one fluid could meet both specs.

I do know that MERCON LV will destroy a 4R100. You should have used a MERCON V fluid. Will the fluid you used destroy it? I don't know. You could either run an experiment and see if it dies or not, or flush it out with MERCON V.

Wow I'm glad I read this. I picked up some fluid to service my trans it it wasn't the "V" version of Mercon. Thanks

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Man it has been a hot summer! Just to give y'all an update I decided on a Dorsey Stage 2 tranny from Irate, should be here next week. This is what I have done so far:

-Replaced up pipes to bellow style
-Cleaned the frame and body underneath the truck, primed, and painted
-Replace the high pressure oil lines going to the heads with CNCfab lines
-Rebuilt the turbo with billet 66/88 compressor wheel, ported housing with 4" intake, banks elbow, mechanical wastegate, and ebpv delete pedestal
-Installed Riffraff banjo bolts and new seals
-Replaced the 4 oil galley plug o-rings
-Removed the insulation on driverside intercooler pipe, cooled both pipes, installed riffriff boots
-Installed an all aluminum radiator
-Installed an all aluminum 6.0 intercooler
-Replaced the magnefine tranny filter with a spin on type transmission filter

Whats left:
-Reroute exhaust to the banks down pipe coming off the elbow. I already had a 4" down pipe to 5" straight pipe so I am just reworking the piping to fit up with the banks pipe.
-Install new aux cooler that comes with the tranny
-I am installing all custom bent SS tubing for the tranny cooling lines. I will have braided SS tubing on the lines going from the tranny to the radiator and filter for flex points.
-Install new condenser, the original one was just too bent up and paint flaking off
-I am installing a bigger power steering cooler. If it goes will I write up a new thread on what I did, just hated the stock one.
-Oil change, coolant flush, new coolant filter, fuel filter, and transfer case fluid replacement
-Boost fooler and gauges. I got the overhead gauge mount

Attachments

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I really like the simplicity of a 6 position TS performance chip. Especially the anti-theft option. Any recommendations for tuners?
@Mark Kovalsky any pointers for how to fill the new tranny with fluid?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I really like the simplicity of a 6 position TS performance chip. Especially the anti-theft option. Any recommendations for tuners?

@Mark Kovalsky any pointers for how to fill the new tranny with fluid?

I believe 1023 Diesel still burns the ts chip dp tuner and Tony wild man. Irate Diesel might be able to burn a ts chip. But a lot of 7.3 guys are going to the hydra chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
Mark Kovalsky any pointers for how to fill the new tranny with fluid?
Pour 10 quarts in through the dipstick tube. Run the engine in park for one minute and then shut the engine off. Add five more quarts and start it again. Run the gearshift through each position and fill the trans to the middle of the cross hatch area.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Man it has been a hot summer!
-Rebuilt the turbo with billet 66/88 compressor wheel, ported housing with 4" intake
I wish you better luck with that mod than I had, especially if you are towing. See my thread on it...

61 - 80 of 85 Posts