The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in knowing how often to you find yourself either using 4WD or wishing you had it while towing?

What are you towing and in what conditions have you needed 4WD?

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
Very seldom, unless you need to get somewhere on slick roads and then it is usually better if you pull over and wait the bad weather out.

4 low with the front hubs unlocked is nice if you have to back up a hill with both the 6speed and automatic.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Not so much in the last few years, but I often had to use 4WD pulling my 3 horse gooseneck trailer during the 10+/- degree winters when the roads are icy and with a snow-pack. Sometime for a 40 or 50 mile stretch. I've got manual front hubs, so if I hit dry pavement I can ease the transfer case in or out of 4WD although the hubs are still engaged. Also, I've needed 4WD a time or two pulling our 24' gooseneck travel trailer. One night north of Rock Springs I thought the road looked like solid ice. I pulled over, got out of the pickup and found I was standing on the world's longest skating rink, couldn't hardly stand up. I put a set of chains on one of the trailer axles before heading over the Continental Divide.
I've also put the transfer case in 4WD LO without engaging the hubs so I could slowly creep over rocky steep areas when pulling horses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not too often on the road. Used 4x4 a few years back to get over Donner Suumit in a snow storm. Chains on truck and one axle on trailer. It was the very start of a long storm. I wouldn't do it with the big trailers. 10-12k. It's a lot harder to stop than it is to go on ice. Now off road, I use it more often. We've pulled cattle off pasture where the corrals are a ways off the pavement. It's usually easy to get backed up and loaded and then you can't always pull away. The tires will spin. 4x4 helps get me back to the pavement. I've also got a few places I go with steepish grades driven at low speeds and I'll put it in 4x4 just to save the rears tires. They're not spinning totally free, but I can tell they are spinning enough to tear up the tires.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Used 4x4 a few years back to get over Donner Suumit in a snow storm.
Yeah, a buddy of mine went from here to the Sacramento area to pick up a 4WD car for his wife. His first comment when he made it back over Donner was that people in WY just THINK they know what snow is.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Towing a toyhauler in the sand at Glamis - 4x4 is a must unless you like getting pulled out by a guy with a 4x4.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use it every time! I only camp on the beach during the summer.
Air tires down to 15 psi, 4 low, and I can pull the 10K lb TT through the sand.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I build ranch fences and barns as well as being a rancher myself. Don't really have a snow or ice problem here in my part of Texas but it can get awfully muddy! And low range for heavy loads off road or over grade is most definitely helpful!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Had to use mine to get out of the mountains of the Big Horns with a 4 horse goose neck after it rained all night. 15 miles of a bulldozer road and it took us an hour and a half. It was so damn slimy in spots we just about slid the trailer off the sides of the road from it cross sliding on the side hills.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I like to use 4 low when backing up onto blocks to level my 5th wheel. That way I can just creep up onto the blocks or boards without jumping over them. 'Much better control when using low range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts