The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys getting that drive the 7.3 4x4 6 speeds getting? looking for some realy data, not best tank ever. Mostly concerned about unloaded highway numbers. Looking for a dually, but a comparison between DRW &SRW would be good. Thinking about getting rid of my Dodge and getting a 7.3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, at 70 mph my dodge gets 20.5 on summer fuel!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I average 17.5 mixed towing around town and 19 to a best of almost 26 highway emty

·
Registered
470 Posts
i get 18.5 with half around town and half highway with truck in sig

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Comparable to Overload, for summer fuel this year. Winterized is 16 to 16.5 mpg.

Highway speeds of 65 -70, Freeway 75 and some city driving.

On "winter" fuel in Arizona I did get 19 to 20.5 at highway speeds of 55mph and city driving. That was over three tanks on a Christmas vacation.

Fuel quality and lower relative speeds in Arizona were the two factors.IMHO

·
Super Moderator
25,072 Posts
My lifetime (80k mi) average is just a shade under 16 mpg. Most of my miles are a 15 mile one-way commute with some longer trips with slide-in camper.

·
Registered
403 Posts
With 4.10 gears and all mountain driving, lifetime average with 200,000 on truck is 14.7 miles to the gallon. 50/50 towing and empty. Usually towing less than 10,000 pounds I get around 12. More than 10,000 anywhere from 8 to 10 miles to the gallon. Empty 14 to 16.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I average 18 with the truck in my sig. That is lightly loaded for most of the tank. It has never been empty for a full tank since I have owned it. It has 3.73 gears. Best tank ever was 25 all on the interstate at 70-75 lightly loaded.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With my late 99, crew cab dually, 4.10's, 6 speed, over the last 70k I've averaged 16 mpg, about 70% highway between 65 and 70 mph. I find it respectable enough for a truck of that size. On the scale it was almost right at 8000 lbs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I average 17.5-18.5 with summer fuel and 15.5 to 16.5 with winter fuel. I try to keep the tach at or under 2000 as much as possible.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I get almost perfect 22 empty. But hauling 6k on a little trailer I get 17mpg. I tow a 40' loaded to the gills and I get 15mpg. These are all taking it easy No flying through the gears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
383 Posts
Funny thing is, when I lived at Ft. Huachuca 7 years ago I was getting 19. I do believe that higher elevation has a positive effect on mileage as I was able to get 21.6 (my best) on a trip from Twin Falls, Idaho through Yellowstone to Billings, Montana. And a max speed of 60 through that portion didn't hurt things either. But then moving to Germany I struggled to get 16 at times on the autobahn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
145 Posts
You 6 speed guys are going to hate this. Since I got my tuner from DP Tuners, and finally got my tranny fixed, I'm getting 21 to 22 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. Last tank was 21.8 all highway and unloaded in the economy setting. Of course it went way down on the return trip towing my coach, 11+.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I took an 1800 mile round trip with just the truck and no trailer and got 18.4mpg running 80mpg or better (it was an emergency and I could get there quicker driving than by catching a plane)

·
Super Moderator
25,072 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You 6 speed guys are going to hate this. Since I got my tuner from DP Tuners, and finally got my tranny fixed, I'm getting 21 to 22 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph. Last tank was 21.8 all highway and unloaded in the economy setting. Of course it went way down on the return trip towing my coach, 11+.

[/ QUOTE ]

That "just shy of 16 mpg" I posted, included one tank with Jody's 80 HP Econo Tuned PCM installed. The mileage with that tank popped up about 1/2 mpg, and that was while I was playing with the new found power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. I'm looking forward to some improvement as soon as I calm down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

I forgot to say in my previous post that I run with the hubs locked all winter (a full 6 months), which drops the mileage a bit, as does winter blend fuel.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I've averaged about 19.6 mpg so far this year on the summer fuel. Last summer my average was 20.0 I drive about 75% highway, 25% city, lightly-loaded most of the time. I rarely tow these days.

It drops down to 16 ~ 17 on winter blend, except for this past winter when grelchy post-Katrina fuel caused it to plummet to 14 for a couple of tanks.

I've just recently turned off my Quadzilla Stealth Module, and installed a DP tuner chip. Aside from a few moments of youthful "experimentation," ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) I've been driving it normally in 80 Econo. Learning to drive it in 80 Econo is perhaps the more accurate phrase. The shifting is a little weird in that program.

There are some major indicators that show my consumption is even further reduced, and I've been running it for a tank and 3/4, but I am not yet prepared to state any conclusive data.

·
Registered
72 Posts
18s? 19s? 20s??????

Hell, Before the mods, after the mods...I can't break 16!!! Half freeway, half town, unloaded.

What tires are everyone running? Narrow stock-like tires? I have 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers and have heard that these have an adverse affect at the pump.

***???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here is something I have learned for two powerstrokes now.

You don't buy them to save the environment; you buy them to move it.

13-14...ish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy a 1997 XLT Crew Cab Flat Bed 4x4 with 7.3 and a 6 speed tranny. What kind of expenses should I expect?

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Does it actually have the 6 speed or the stock 5 speed.

Depending on the rear gears anywhere from 15mpg to 20mpg and not much more depending on the gearing in the rear end

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Are you asking about MPG or cost to maintain the truck. We need more info total miles, tires, diff gearing, etc
DENNY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts