The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 with the NV273F. I have replaced the 4Wheel drive actuator solenoid, the vacuum pump has been replaced, The hubs don't hold a vacuum so I thought that was the issue but they still lock up in Auto. I checked this morning by grabbing my front drive shaft and it locks up so I took it out and tried backing up a hill to check but im not getting any spin from the front tires. I jumped out and grabbed the front drive shaft again and its locked up, no play so the transfer case is engaged? so I jumped back in again to try and still no spin from front tires. Anyone have any suggestions? I am out of options as far as my knowledge goes. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,495 Posts
If the t-case is locked, the driveshaft won't turn if you're sitting still. The check to be sure hubs are locking is to jack up the wheel with the truck in 4x4 and see if the wheel turns.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Can you manually lock your hubs or are they auto only? DENNY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I can manually lock them too

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Sooooooooooo, just to point out a few things. You need to go to your homepage and put all the info you can about your truck you can think of in the sig block so we don't have to keep asking what we are working with (see mine and klhansen for example) The front drive shaft is controlled by the transfer case. So if you are in 4x4 it will be locked to the tranny. The hubs lock independently manual/auto and you have an open front diff, this will let one wheel turn free. From what you described the test you did meant nothing for the hubs. Now manual lock both hubs and see how that works. I suspect it will work just fine. One will will hold (spin) the other will ride along. That means the auto part is not working, simple answer is any time you might think you will need 4x4 just lock the hubs before you leave home. I have had 3 F350 Superdutys with over 300,000 miles combined all with manual hubs I lock the hubs in Sept and unlock in May. NEVER had an issue with my hubs or front axle!!! I soak my locking hubs in ATF every 50,000 and they turn better then the day out of the factory. Do a search on the auto locking hubs, I think they will respond to a simple ATF soak (AMSOIL IS WHAT THE COOL KIDS USE) any synthetic on the shelf will do fine. When you get around to greasing/replacing the hub spindle bearing then get a new yellow O-RING and put it in. That may solve the vacuum issue. Kevin can/will correct correct any of my advice as needed and I would follow his.
DENNY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I put it in four wheel drive and jacked it up, both tires spin freely. What would I do next? Replace the hubs?

·
Super Moderator
25,495 Posts
You sad the hubs didn't hold vacuum, but they still work in Auto?? If they don't hold vacuum, Auto can't work. Can you lock them manually? You need to find out why they won't hold vacuum. MIght be the hubs themselves or the axle seals, or the bearing/hub o-ring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No they don't work in Auto. I guess I need to pull them apart and see what's up. Or could I just get a pair of manual hubs like Warn Or Mile Marker?

·
Super Moderator
25,495 Posts
Find your vacuum leak. It may simply be the hoses running to the hubs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I vacuumed both my hubs and they won't hold a vacuum. The driver side doesn't even suck into a vacuum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts