The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys long time GM owner but falling in love with the newer 6.7 and need some help. Can someone please answer me what the difference is between the Chevy and Ford 4x4 system and why one is better then the other with a legit answer please.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello RIGFORD,
No expert here, but I own a FORD, and have for decades, but drive CHEV products for work.
The number one thing that bothers me about CHEV and 4X4 driving is the lack of clearance CHEV provides with their low frame. As you may know, this is made worse by the DEF tank for the Duramax that hangs as low as the frame right behind a wheel. Further, if you go under a Duramax (new) you will see the front driveshaft is closely surrounded by the engine oil filter and the transmission oil filter. This issue was demonstrated by a CHEV owner being towed in when his front u-joint broke and the driveshaft took BOTH filters off before he got stopped. MAJOR bill $$$$$.
As far as driving in 4X$ I cannot see much difference other than the CHEV will bottom out quicker and I prefer the braking on the FORD over the CHEV on icy conditions. The CHEV computer wants too much input in my humble opinion.
I do have one FORD ***** in that I prefer a truck with a full time rear locker (Detroit Locker) and my 2012 FORD has an electric locker that works well, but dis-engages at 15 mph & above. Minor but annoying.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello RIGFORD,
No expert here, but I own a FORD, and have for decades, but drive CHEV products for work.
The number one thing that bothers me about CHEV and 4X4 driving is the lack of clearance CHEV provides with their low frame. As you may know, this is made worse by the DEF tank for the Duramax that hangs as low as the frame right behind a wheel. Further, if you go under a Duramax (new) you will see the front driveshaft is closely surrounded by the engine oil filter and the transmission oil filter. This issue was demonstrated by a CHEV owner being towed in when his front u-joint broke and the driveshaft took BOTH filters off before he got stopped. MAJOR bill $$$$$.
As far as driving in 4X$ I cannot see much difference other than the CHEV will bottom out quicker and I prefer the braking on the FORD over the CHEV on icy conditions. The CHEV computer wants too much input in my humble opinion.
I do have one FORD ***** in that I prefer a truck with a full time rear locker (Detroit Locker) and my 2012 FORD has an electric locker that works well, but dis-engages at 15 mph & above. Minor but annoying.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks that's some good info. Yeah I know on the later Fords you have the ability for a manual front locking hub, does that still come on the 6.7?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thanks that's some good info. Yeah I know on the later Fords you have the ability for a manual front locking hub, does that still come on the 6.7?
There is an override so in the event your auto locking hubs fail, you can get out and lock them manually so you still have 4wd.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Good to know, so is this a added or better feature over the GM non locking front?
I haven't had a GM since 2004 which I only kept for 2 years so I'm not familiar with their 4wd system.

I know the Ford system works off a vacuum system to lock the hubs.. they do fail every now and then (develop a leak). I had to have my 07s replaced twice which they performed some type of smoke test to see where the vacuum was leaking. As stated though, I could override it so I would never truly lose 4wd which is a nice feature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had a GM since 2004 which I only kept for 2 years so I'm not familiar with their 4wd system.

I know the Ford system works off a vacuum system to lock the hubs.. they do fail every now and then (develop a leak). I had to have my 07s replaced twice which they performed some type of smoke test to see where the vacuum was leaking. As stated though, I could override it so I would never truly lose 4wd which is a nice feature.
Cool I would think this is one great advantage over GM, my GM hubs don't seem to lock all that well.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
i guess one thing to consider would be the added durability of having a front straight axle over IFS. Chevy's ride nicer because of the IFS but often have more problems when abused and dont last nearly as long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i guess one thing to consider would be the added durability of having a front straight axle over IFS. Chevy's ride nicer because of the IFS but often have more problems when abused and dont last nearly as long.
Yeah that I know first hand, I upgraded my entire front end on GM as well as purchased a 2 year alignment package. I am really on the fence about jumping ship so doing a lot of research now. The 4x4 is what started this whole thing and like I said I love the new look of the 6.7.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys know how Ford make those videos on why their truck is better, do they make one comparing the 4x4 system and IFS vs Straight Axle?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I do not recall any video, but I will pass on a conversation I had at a branding at the ranch. The service manager for the local CHEV dealer was in attendance (we use volunteers) and during a break, he was laughing at all the FORD trucks parked at the corrals. We ribbed each other about CHEV vs. FORD when he related the following story......
Their dealership and others thru western Canada had a large meeting with CHEV factory reps about the front ends of CHEV trucks not standing up to the rigors of the oil patch, ranching , construction etc. The rep is alleged to have said, " We sell more pickups in California than in all in Western Canada, and they do not complain." As such, nothing has changed.
Further, as I work in the oil patch every winter, I observed that most companies use FORD or DODGE and only companies that lease (mine included ) seem to have GM products. This is not cut and dry fact, but just a random observation I have made. My luck with the CHEV 3/4 tons I drive is that the suspension gets very noisy after 10-15K miles on the rough roads of ice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm surprised no Ford guru has jumped on here and giving me an ass lashing on why the Ford suspension and four wheel drive system his so much better than Chevy Lol, I was kind of looking forward to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mr. Rigford,

While this is a Ford forum, my '12 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 has yet to have a problem with it's 4x4 system. A solid axle, no front locking hubs to fail, just put the transfer case in 4x4 and everything is hooked up.

Yes, the non lock hubs cost you fuel mileage but I do not have to get out at the gate in the mud to get it to work.

Plus, my engine/transmission is made in the USA, assembled in Mexico, while a 6.7FMC engine is made in Mexico assembled in USA.

Happy shopping

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mr. Rigford,

While this is a Ford forum, my '12 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 has yet to have a problem with it's 4x4 system. A solid axle, no front locking hubs to fail, just put the transfer case in 4x4 and everything is hooked up.

Yes, the non lock hubs cost you fuel mileage but I do not have to get out at the gate in the mud to get it to work.

Plus, my engine/transmission is made in the USA, assembled in Mexico, while a 6.7FMC engine is made in Mexico assembled in USA.

Happy shopping
Go check your ram for recall issues.. As i understood there was a recall on the 12's, something in the steering system breaks causing crashes.. As to where it's made, two of the 3 trannies in the hd trucks are foreign.. Come to think of it, the best things about the dodges, arent even made by dodge.. Then there is the whole Fiat owned thing.. Talk about Mexico assembled, two point i could also add.. I have a TDR issue[Dodge diesel site] around the house some where, from about 7 or 8 years ago back.. The article speaks of how Mexican assembled Dodge truck's were actually more trouble free then the one's produced here in the states.. Lastly, the 4.3 v6 Gm had, was also produced in Mexico.. Throughout most it's production run, it was a very good engine..

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't know that one 4x4 is better than another. We use six Chevy 2500 HD 4x4's at work and have never had an issue up to 300K miles on any of them. 2011 through 2015's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know that one 4x4 is better than another. We use six Chevy 2500 HD 4x4's at work and have never had an issue up to 300K miles on any of them. 2011 through 2015's.
I have a 2010 GMC I bet they made some changes to 2011 since it was the newer platform, I'll check.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Quick question, do the new 6.7s have a open rear diff or limited slip like GM?
When you order the Chevy HD's the G80 option is included. It's actually a locker, not limited slip.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You either get a limited slip or for about $355 you can upgrade to a locking rear diff (well worth the price). On your 4WD switch, you pull it out and it locks the rear diff.

If you are going under 20mph, it will lock as soon as you pull it out and stay locked up to 30mph.

If you are going over 20mph and pull to lock, you must drop to under 20mph before it will lock (warning stating this pops up on the productivity screen).

I've found the locking diff has got me out of being stuck several times when plowing and not in 4wd. Works well because it is electric so it works immediately as opposed to 4wd which won't activate in turns till you straighten out or sometimes if the transfer case isn't lined up to lock and you need to move a few inches forward or back (hard to do if you are stuck).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts