The Diesel Stop banner

4X4 front axle/wheel

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
I am curious, situation- vehicle on ground, engine off and in park,when in 2h, when I manually (by hand) turn the front drive shaft from the transfer case to front axle (Spicer 50). Should the right(passenger) ujoint turn and left (driver) stay locked up (not turn)?

#2 ·
Whichever one has the least resistance will turn. Unless there's absolutely no resistance at the wheels, then both axles will turn. Your situation is not unusual.

#3 ·
I agree with Kevin, it is an open diff so one axle will turn and the other not. If the hubs are not locked then nothing will move when you are driving in 2H.
DENNY

#4 ·
I prefer manual hubs with a floor shifter. for several reasons. In the situation above no extra drag. Downside for me is I run with my hubs locked all winter Sep-May in Alaska so I do get some extra drag. The upside is the system is extremely dependable, no dependence on electrical motor or connection. Unless a big metal part fails it will work and work NOW!!! I shift in and out of 4x4 at over 65 MPH with no worries. I had my clutch fail and needed a 200 mi tow home on a tow strap. Simple shift into Neutral and off we go no need to drop the drive shaft (ESOF). If you do have a ESOF system I would recommend you use it often. Even in the summer just engage/disengage twice a month or so when you are on a straight road, like most things if life if you don't use it you loose it.
DENNY

#6 ·
Drivers side hub is locked and passenger side unlocked.
DENNY

#7 ·
Do you have auto or manual locking hubs?
DENNY

#9 ·
Maybe one of the hubs has a problem and won't unlock automatically. You can manually unlock the auto hubs. I think from moving from Auto to Lock and then back to Auto. I may be wrong, but the procedure should be in the owner's manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.