The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Early 1999 f350 cc, srw, 4x4. Pretty much stock no gauges.
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm fixing to have to do frt bearings on my 99 f350 4wheel drive. Any recommendations on fluid type, aftermarket parts or any advice that might make the procedure go a little smother and easier. I'll probably pull it down all the way and do axle shaft u-jouints and ball joints also.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
There’s a whole lot of older posts on the “Advanced Search”
(In the menu with the three vertical dots to the right of your avatar) I used Spicer for my u-joints. The ones I replaced had grease fittings but the majority will tell you that those 4WD
front axle u-joints should be solid as they are stronger, and that’s what I put in.
Is your truck A/T with ESOF?

Add some details about your truck to your signature, that way those reading your post can suggest the correct parts. Spicer also has some good videos on the web of replacing the front hubs.👍

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
You likely won't need any fluid, unless you do the job on a major sideslope and the gear oil runs out as you pull the downhill axle. If you're level, you won't lose enough to add any gear oil to the front differential. The bearings are unitized and don't need to be lubricated. You just bolt them on. If you put greasable u-joints in you should shoot a couple pumps of grease in the fittings after install. I also recommend Spicer u-joints. They are what Ford used originally, and they aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(In the menu with the three vertical dots to the right of your avatar) I used Spicer for my u-joints. The ones I replaced had grease fittings but the majority will tell you that those 4WD
front axle u-joints should be solid as they are stronger, and that’s what I put in.

Add some details about your truck to your signature, that way those reading your post can suggest the correct parts. Spicer also has some good videos on the web of replacing the front hubs.👍

Thank you sir
I was thinking Spicer u-joints, precision hubs and moog ball joints. I've tried to figure out how to add a signature but I'm a lot better at slinging wrenches than posting. 🤣

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You likely won't need any fluid, unless you do the job on a major sideslope and the gear oil runs out as you pull the downhill axle. If you're level, you won't lose enough to add any gear oil to the front differential. The bearings are unitized and don't need to be lubricated. You just bolt them on. If you put greasable u-joints in you should shoot a couple pumps of grease in the fittings after install. I also recommend Spicer u-joints. They are what Ford used originally, and they aren't that expensive.
Thank you
I will not be far from changing everything anyway so figured I'd pull the inspection cover drain and fill. I have 460,000 miles on it and have only changed the fluid twice by suckin it out the fill plug. So I'm right there, deer season is coming up and I'll need to drive it more this time of year so feel the need to replace it. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
If you're changing the fluid, the manual calls for 90 wt, but you could use a synthetic 75W140 gear oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts