The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warn manual locking hubs and switch in dash engaged. Checked shafts behind wheels and their locked in as well as driveshaft from TCase. Left wheel wont engage. When first engaged yesterday after getting decent snow here in Indiana it made a loud clunking noise under driver seat at first acceleration then stopped. Seemed to be working fine till I turned down my street then it wouldn't engage. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
62 Posts
Do you have the electric shift Tcase or manual?
Is the left wheel the only one not engaging?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it's an f350. But electric. I can hear it engage. I went under with everything released and all spun freely. Then I locked my hubs and switched to 4HI and heard the motor on the TCase. Everything was locked as should.(did this today)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it's an f350. But electric. I can hear it engage. I went under with everything released and all spun freely. Then I locked my hubs and switched to 4HI and heard the motor on the TCase. Everything was locked as should.(did this today)
Just realized your name is f250 lol sorry about that

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
62 Posts
Haha thats ok 🙂 so it's back working?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Unlock the hubs, lock tcase into 4x4, now try spinning the front driveshaft.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't gotten a chance to do that test yet. But I did have a clunking and a code came up on my reader p0720. I'm thinking maybe Tcase motor? Could that cause a clunking sound if it was failing?

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
62 Posts
The p0720 is insufficient input from the output speed sensor. Does it clunk once or only when turning or all the time?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I looked up the code. But it ties I with the Tcase motor right? And it only clunks on initial acceleration

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
62 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I dont think the oss is now the vss sensor I believe is but I might be wrong. If the motor isn't fully shifting into 4hi or low and then you start moving and it finishes the shift it could clunk and if that's what's happening it could be a weak shift motor or a stiff/tweaked shift fork. How many miles does your truck have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
385,000. I'm getting a shift motor tomorrow just because I imagine its OE and needs it anyhow

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
62 Posts
Ok sounds like it could be the shift motor of course with your mileage and all that isn't a big surprise tho

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
62 Posts
So you can spin the front drive shaft yet it acts like it's in 4x4?

·
Registered
1999 ford f250
62 Posts
It could be the contact plate in the shift motor not making good contact and it dosen't know where it is at 🤔

1 - 20 of 29 Posts