The Diesel Stop banner

5.4 Mileage

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jstrauss 
#1 ·
Anyone here driving a new (05 or 06) 4x4 with 3.73 LS with the touque-shift and 5.4? If so, what kind of mileage (city - highway mixed) can one expect with normal driving. I am looking at either a reg cab or maybe an extended cab - long bed in either case.

#2 ·
I'm kinda curious also. From lurking around a bit it seems that the 5.4 does about 1-1.5 better than the V-10. The V-10 seems to average about 14+/- overall with a light foot, and decreasing quickly depending on the weight of your foot. None of this info is first hand though, I have been a long time lurker and remember these #'s from different posts over time. Shortly I'm going to be buying a 250 4x4 SC SB with a 6spd, and I'm curious how much the extra weight of the 3/4 over a 1/2 ton affects the 5.4. None of the dealers around me have any 5.4 super duties for me to test drive, I'm gonna have to order my 5.4 F250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Although the V-10 will only cost me $450 more and 1-1.5mpg, so it is kinda tempting. I just can't justify the cost of a diesel that is 4k more, and at a time when diesel in my area cost a few cents more that premium /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#3 ·
I've got a complete fuel log for an '03 V10. Every drop of fuel put in the truck since new has been recorded, along with driving conditions and load for each tank. I'd be happy to share it with you so you have some hard numbers to base your decision on, not just heresay. It's the 2 valver in a 2WD crew cab with an automatic and 3.73 rear end. PM me and I'll shoot you a copy.

FWIW - my lifetime average is right at 12.5 mpg including all my towing (what I bought this beast for in the first place). Highest ever was 16 something, lowest 10 something.

I don't have any hard numbers for a 5.4, but I think there are a few guys around with 5.4's who keep records like I do.

#4 ·
"time when diesel in my area cost a few cents more that premium " Whats the deal with that anyways???? Why is it that diesel, something thats easier and cheaper to refine is more than that other crap. This supply and demand is bullcrap.

#5 ·
I've seen many post over the years stating that the 5.4 combined with the 3.73's is under powered and not recommended. I also have a good friend who had a '01 ext. cab with the 5.4 and a manual tranny who now drives a diesel...nuff said. I agree with the folks who suggest spending the extra $500 to get the V10 which will probaby pay for itself when it comes time to sell the truck.

Al

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that diesel, something thats easier and cheaper to refine is more than that other crap. This supply and demand is bullcrap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may have been true 20 years ago, but not anymore. Stricter and stricter fuel regs affect diesel, too, and a barrel of crude actually yields less diesel than gasoline. Ultra-low sulphur regs that take effect next year is going to make it even worse.

#7 ·
I don't have any real numbers for you, but it sure seems like the V10 and 5.4 guys are pretty close all the time when comparing. And for what it's worth, the contractor my father bought his 2000 V10 Reg Cab 4x4 from traded up to an 2005 5.4 Extended 4x4. He has told us numerous times that he is a little disappointed in the way his new truck runs and thinks the old V10 ran better. I think the main difference is gearing, the V10 has 4.30s and his new one has the 3.73s. As of right now Dad's average has been right around where Solo2's is, maybe a little higher. But he hasn't been towing much yet, wait till fall and it's pulling a 30K lb grain trailer every day it'll come down a bit.

Trinity

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that diesel, something thats easier and cheaper to refine is more than that other crap. This supply and demand is bullcrap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may have been true 20 years ago, but not anymore. Stricter and stricter fuel regs affect diesel, too, and a barrel of crude actually yields less diesel than gasoline. Ultra-low sulphur regs that take effect next year is going to make it even worse.

[/ QUOTE ] Wheres your resource for the barrell of crude costing more than the gas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#9 ·
Read through what you quoted. All it says is that one barrel of crude produces more gasoline than diesel. Nothing about costs.

Trinity

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

??????????? Diesel is the "waste" from the gasoline refining process. Depending on the quality of the crude there is significantly less gasoline than distillate. Now Distillates are further refined to make diesel, kerosene, and your varieties of jet fuel. This is why diesel was always cheaper in the past. Look at the following.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining.htm http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining.htm

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Diesel is the "waste" from the gasoline refining process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who told you that, your grandpa? That is 1940s thinking, or maybe earlier. It would only be considered "waste" if nobody wanted it. Is everything that comes from a barrel of crude oil "waste" except the gasoline? No it is not. You don't pick one barrel and say "that is for gasoline" and another and say "that is for diesel". The catalytic cracking process yields all sorts of different fluids from the same barrel of crude, but each has a market. When all the fluids are seperated out, you end up with more gasoline than diesel. Therefore, diesel is more directly affected when the price of that barrel goes up. Combine that with more and more stringent pollution regs on diesel owing to the rise in "street" use among other factors, and the price goes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.