The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 6.0 Excursion with a 2003.25 engine (pre 9/23/2003 build) with 172K miles.

I just replaced all 8 injectors and the FICM.

Did the EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler for good measure since I was there. They didn't show signs of malfunction, clogging, or leaking oil or coolant. Thoroughly cleaned the EGR and Intake Manifold, including all the runners and crossover at the back. Tons of coke came out.

Now that it is all back together there is a definite miss from just above idle to about 1800 RPM.

Did the starter test and it sounds totally consistent so I am assuming the base engine is sound.

Scan tool shows number 5 cylinder injector circuit high with everything else in the green.

Any ideas of what that means?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An update to the first post I made about this:

I found these codes:

#5 contribution
#5 injector circuit high

I disconnected the injector from the harness for # 5. It now shows injector circuit low, which is to be expected. The harness seems fine and there are no obvious rubs or scrapes all the way to the FICM. I did write down all the codes before I did all the work described in my first post and #5 was fine, so I am now leaning toward a bad injector which really annoys me because of all the "puff" SMP makes about all these are tested extensively to spec before they ship.

IS there a way to test the electrical parts of the injector with a multimeter prior to going to the considerable effort of removing it???

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more addition: I put the # 7 harness connector on # 5 injector, and left the # 5 connector swinging in the breeze.

I did a non-running self test: Sure enough, # 7 (now connected to the # 5 injector) showed injector circuit high and # 5 (which isn't connected to anything) showed low.

I think that pretty much guarantees that I got a bad injector right out of the box.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
1,368 Posts
That sounds right to me. The only ohter thing you could do is physically switch the injector, but I would just get it replaced. Have you called SMP and found out if they have a procedure to test it before sending it back??

· Registered
488 Posts
That sounds right to me. The only ohter thing you could do is physically switch the injector, but I would just get it replaced. Have you called SMP and found out if they have a procedure to test it before sending it back??
Sounds like you did in fact get a bad one, I guess switching it would be a sure way to verify that. But who knows, calling and asking is easier!

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Please let us know what you find!!

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I cannot remember the V clamp spec, but I think the silicone boot clamp torque spec is 9lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.