The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i know it might be a long shot but im in the process of fixing my 53 willys cj3b and i got a new starter for it. The starter from a toyota land cruiser ive done my research and it works for the F-134 in the willys. Now there is some differences i cant seem to figure out. This starter has a solenoid mounted to it. I'm trying to figure out how to wire the starter correctly. Do i keep the old relay and wire it to the starter? If anybody has input or a diagram i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
You're being vague - which do you mean by "this starter"? The original, or the Toy? Pics would help.
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/thid-5972-how-do-i-post-pictures-sounds-and-or-videos

I've rewired a 40s GPW for 12V, and its starter had a switch that looked like a solenoid.

Post lots of pics of everything you're working with, and describe what you're trying to accomplish - a museum resto, something driveable & street-legal, a beater/trail rig,...?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill have to get some pictures. The starter im trying to wire is from a toyota land cruiser that i modified to fit in the willys jeep. The land cruiser has the starter solenoid mounted to the starter itself. The original starter in the jeep had one post which went to a relay on the firewall. Im trying to figure out if i do away with the old relay and just run the solenoid or do i need to wire the solenoid to the relay. Sorry for being late on a reply I have been off the web for a while.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok first off get rid of the old solenoid. Run a new cable from the battery to the new starter. Then the little wire that connected to the old solenoid check to see if the is power to it when the button is pushed , some older outfits like Ford the button grounded to complete things, if so connect it to that green wire on the new starter. Things should work.

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it ill give a shot soon

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That would not have worked on the one I rewired, so I don't think it will work for yours. But you haven't posted any pics of what you're working on, or described it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have posted pictures of the exact two starters. And described what im doing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That would not have worked on the one I rewired, so I don't think it will work for yours. But you haven't posted any pics of what you're working on, or described it.
And why is it you don't think it will work? You run a positive cable right from the battery to the starter and the either with a starter button or ign switch that has run /start run a wire to the little terminal on the solenoid. Just like a Chevy starter is wired. The only why this will not work is if when hooking up the positive cable it makes the starter run. Very easy to check before installing. With jumper cables neg to case and pos to big terminal on starter. if does not run then put power to the little terminal. should engage Bendix and spin starter. If it does spin without power to little terminal then it needs to be wire through a 12volt solenoid.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still didint work am i missing something?

·
Premium Member
8,849 Posts
Thanks to this forums upgrade I can't see the thumbnail pictures so.

How many terminals does the new starter have? Large and small

Just a guess but if it has one large terminal and one small one connect a lead from the battery to the large terminal. Then on the solenoid connect a lead from the battery to one of the large post and if the solenoid only has one small post connect that one from the key switch. Then on the other large post of the solenoid connect that to the small post on the starter.

Then try it.

If the starter only has one large post connect a lead from the battery to one of the large post on the solenoid, then the wire to the starter on the other large post. The wire from the key switch should then go to the single small post on the solenoid.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The starter has 2 large leads one soldered to the motor and 1 for battery then it has a wire with a connector and another spade terminal. If i jump from battery lead to the spade terminal it turns over but if i run the old wire that went to the "S" on the relay it does nothing when i turn the key. If that makes sence.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im assuming the wire that went to "s" is the key switch

·
Premium Member
8,849 Posts
Yes the S should be to the key.

So on the solenoid wire one large terminal to the battery, the other large terminal down to the spade clip on the starter, and the S to the key switch.

To test it you should be able to jump from one large terminal to the other large terminal on the solenoid and the starter should work. Also make sure that you have 12 volts from the key switch when the key is turned to start on the wire that you connect to the S on the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
For the (solenoid-style) starter to work, the small terminal must have 12V applied. This shows the 2 ways of wiring a starter:

(phone app link)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts