The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as it says in the title that is what I have. so here is the downlow on it. keep in mind I was able to get some test results but my scanner was stolen along with some other tools of mine.

6.0 250k miles
crank no start
4x4 vacuum actuator keeps running when key engaged
aftermarket air intake (going to go back to stock )
codes pulled p0264 p0267 p0273 p0282
replaced ficm and cleared codes. they are now not showing
I did do the ficm test in which it did show that I had a bad ficm
oil pressure on gauge is not building so I removed the oil filter to check if it was filling. There was no oil filling when cranking over the engine. I then (which I will be doing again given I think I messed up a bit and didnt pull the plunger) removed the plunger that is under the crank to check in which no debris came out and only the spring came out. I believe that the plunger is stuck which is not allowing oil to flow? Please correct me on that if I am wrong.
I have 2 new batteries on the truck and alternator has been tested and showing good. I removed the turbo and ipr to check in which I did not hear the ipr engage in any form when cranking (did have a good amount of sludge in valley and next to oil filter housing cap). I need to find the fitting to do the leak test for air from the ipc sensor as well. This truck is in good condition but I did also have the idea in my head that the filter is not the correct one for oil given it just came right out no struggle and just seemed to sit in the cap with no pressure. oil filter cap I also think is aftermarket so that will have to be fixed as well. I have heard that these 6.0 engines dont like aftermarket parts so we will see. I have drained the oil in which I did see metal on the drain plug but not in the oil. Oil is dark and thick as it is with any other diesel. I am thinking possible the stc fitting on the hpop?

I am really looking for some advise on this one and pointing in the right direction. if anyone can help out I would appreciate it. I may be hitting up my local snapon guy at my job and getting a new code reader now sadly enough. I see it as a necessity with diesel to have these.

Looking forward to feedback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
as it says in the title that is what I have. so here is the downlow on it. keep in mind I was able to get some test results but my scanner was stolen along with some other tools of mine.

6.0 250k miles
crank no start
4x4 vacuum actuator keeps running when key engaged
aftermarket air intake (going to go back to stock )
codes pulled p0264 p0267 p0273 p0282
replaced ficm and cleared codes. they are now not showing
I did do the ficm test in which it did show that I had a bad ficm
oil pressure on gauge is not building so I removed the oil filter to check if it was filling. There was no oil filling when cranking over the engine. I then (which I will be doing again given I think I messed up a bit and didnt pull the plunger) removed the plunger that is under the crank to check in which no debris came out and only the spring came out. I believe that the plunger is stuck which is not allowing oil to flow? Please correct me on that if I am wrong.
I have 2 new batteries on the truck and alternator has been tested and showing good. I removed the turbo and ipr to check in which I did not hear the ipr engage in any form when cranking (did have a good amount of sludge in valley and next to oil filter housing cap). I need to find the fitting to do the leak test for air from the ipc sensor as well. This truck is in good condition but I did also have the idea in my head that the filter is not the correct one for oil given it just came right out no struggle and just seemed to sit in the cap with no pressure. oil filter cap I also think is aftermarket so that will have to be fixed as well. I have heard that these 6.0 engines dont like aftermarket parts so we will see. I have drained the oil in which I did see metal on the drain plug but not in the oil. Oil is dark and thick as it is with any other diesel. I am thinking possible the stc fitting on the hpop?

I am really looking for some advise on this one and pointing in the right direction. if anyone can help out I would appreciate it. I may be hitting up my local snapon guy at my job and getting a new code reader now sadly enough. I see it as a necessity with diesel to have these.

Looking forward to feedback.
well engine is going to need a rebuild at most. went to check the oil relief valve again and low and behold a needle bearing which I am going to assume is from the rollers. now I am going to have to pull the engine I am assuming? or is there some way around it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engine is torn down minus 8 lifters and the lpop need to come out still. lpop is shot. pulled needle bearings out of the bottom of the oil pan. next is to clean up the engine after last parts are removed and to clean out the passages for debris given the needle bearings. I did notice no crankshaft sleeve on the lpop which I have been told the original trucks dont have them? one of the glow plug harnesses is screwed also so that will need replaced. gonna be a lot of cleaning though. deck looked good no blown head gaskets and camshaft and crankshaft look good no scoring or marks so that is always a plus. Still have to open up all the wiring and clean it up then rewrap it and put it back in place. I am finding that the hard part is removing the lpop. I have the upgraded stc fitting so I can just put new o rings in and put that back in, injectors will get new rings also. overall the engine wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think that the previous owner just didnt want to do the rebuild but that is all I am seeing right now. he was nice enough to have it studded so that is a plus. I am going to upgrade the pushrods. given that sometimes when a lifter goes it will mess with pushrods from what I have heard but I am going to see if they are still true or not. If they are good and measure to the new rods then I will just put those in. Nothing else though. OEM is going back in as far as filters and whatnot since I have heard they are tempermental animals.

Any other advice or things to look for?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
TBH I am surprised that the cam would be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well this just is great. I have never seen a lifter literally mushroom. with that in mind I pulled the cam out to take a look and yes it is toast. the machine shop said he never saw one so bad. I was then going over everything on the table and noticed I was missing a lifter. it was stuck in the block in which when i pulled it out via camshaft location it was a mushroom. the block is toast given all the marks on the block and is unrecoverable. I spoke to a guy on ebay in which he has a 6.0 from a 2006 that is running with proof in which i bought. has a leak from what he and I both see from valve cover gaskets (thank god I got some of those) and oil is coming from the pedestal. thinking this can be the drain tube? anyone else got an idea? video he showed was without the turbo, engine sat for several months. The engine has minimal blow by and rather than that is in good shape. only part I am not looking forward to is having to put the y pipe install and also install of the turbo. It was a pain getting out but same time I am pretty sure I made it hard on myself with the y pipe.

When I get the engine I plan on cleaning it up to see about the oil leak, replacing valve cover gaskets anyways, and cleaning out the engine internally when I get it. figure a good oil flush will help it. Pressure test also and new ipr valve is going in. I have tons of parts that are going to be left over if anyone wants any or is in need of any. The thing I see keeping is the injectors. I did take the hpop to a ford dealership in which they hooked it up to a test engine to see if it works in which they are going to clean it out and test it. hopefully that comes back good. lpop is shot on the previous engine along with of course lifters and pushrods. I will have everything else so to speak so I can choose to piss off the wife and keep spare parts or just sell them.

As for the install does anyone have any tricks they want to share?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts