The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 F350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. It currently has a 4" from the turbo back, AFE cold air intake and at times has Eric's SCT tunes. I also have a Edge Insight gauge. Everything has been fine recently, a little white smoke at startup however has been running and pulling fine.
I am thinking of running the Biodiesel I make for my tractors as an additive in the truck for the added luberication.
I added a fuel pressure gauge last night so I would be able to keep an eye on the pressure in case the bio plugs my fuel filters. I purchased one of the adapter hoses and a Auto Meter gauge. I tapped into the test port on the filter housing under the hood. I am pretty sure I have all of the air out of the line. I am only reading 42-46psi while at idle and it will drop as low as 36-38PSI when I get on it. I changed the fuel filters thinking that they were plugged and no changes.
I know that low fuel pressure is an issue for the injectors. I'm not sure how long the pressure has been this low.
Should I be worried? Could this be normal? Could I have a bad gauge? What could I try? I was thinking about a FASS or Air Dog system but really don't have $600.00. Although $600.00 is cheaper than new injectors.

Thanks for your help

Mike

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Before I put a cross connect tube and fuel pressure gauge on the back of the heads, I measured(iirc) 48-40ish at the pump(HFCM), 45-38ish at the filter housing and 35-25 at the back of the heads(idle-WOT). Is that good pressure? I didn't think so. Is it normal? Unfortunately I believe it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, maybe what i am seeing is normal then. I had just read so much about low pressure harming injectors. If this pressure is normal is there really a reason to add one of the Airdog or FASS systems?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same problems with mine, but mine would drop to 15-20 psi at WOT.
I put in a ITP RR kit and at idle I had 60-65 but it still dropped at WOT.
So next I put in an Airdog II 130/75 and the system is set to 67-69 psi at idle and only drops 4-5 psi at WOT with Erics X-street.
The truck runs GREAT.
I think thwt some pumps are week from the get go.
If I had to do it again I would just do the Airdog II and maybe a crossover line.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2005 F350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. It currently has a 4" from the turbo back, AFE cold air intake and at times has Eric's SCT tunes. I also have a Edge Insight gauge. Everything has been fine recently, a little white smoke at startup however has been running and pulling fine.
I am thinking of running the Biodiesel I make for my tractors as an additive in the truck for the added luberication.
I added a fuel pressure gauge last night so I would be able to keep an eye on the pressure in case the bio plugs my fuel filters. I purchased one of the adapter hoses and a Auto Meter gauge. I tapped into the test port on the filter housing under the hood. I am pretty sure I have all of the air out of the line. I am only reading 42-46psi while at idle and it will drop as low as 36-38PSI when I get on it. I changed the fuel filters thinking that they were plugged and no changes.
I know that low fuel pressure is an issue for the injectors. I'm not sure how long the pressure has been this low.
Should I be worried? Could this be normal? Could I have a bad gauge? What could I try? I was thinking about a FASS or Air Dog system but really don't have $600.00. Although $600.00 is cheaper than new injectors.

Thanks for your help

Mike
Why are you not looking into the fuel bypass pressure regulator ? I am just assuming the 05 is same as my 03 and has the bypass that is regulated by a cheap spring to bypass fuel at the springs pressure point. You can pump all ya want to the final filter housing but the bypass will return anything over spring pressure to the fuel tank. My installed gauge was reading 45 PSI at the filter housing bottom drain/port. I believe FORD spec is 55 PSIG and International is 70 PSIG. Gillette Diesel sells a firmer spring for $ 20 plus shipping. I installed a BB in the bypass psiton to strengthen the spring. End result was 62 PSIG at IDLE.

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
If your fuel pressure is EVER below 45psi, you need to address that and do so quickly. These injectors cannot survive on continuously low fuel pressure.

Weak factory fuel pumps are not all that uncommon. There are a few options for correcting weak fuel pump issues:
1) A new pump (can be bought off of ebay new for about $200)
2) Add a lift pump to take some of the work off of the factory unit (about $500)
3) Put on a new fuel system such as the AirDog2 (about $600-$700)

IMHO, option 1 is sufficient for someone who will never go with a bigger than stock injector. Option 2 is also viable for stock injectors and is probably the way to go if you think you might someday go with a mildly bigger injector (155's to maybe 190's) and your fuel pressure is not terribly low (say better than 35psi at WOT). If you think you will be someday be going with really big injectors (something larger than 190's), then option 3 is probably the right choice....

·
Registered
65 Posts
If your fuel pressure is EVER below 45psi, you need to address that and do so quickly. These injectors cannot survive on continuously low fuel pressure.

Weak factory fuel pumps are not all that uncommon. There are a few options for correcting weak fuel pump issues:
1) A new pump (can be bought off of ebay new for about $200)
2) Add a lift pump to take some of the work off of the factory unit (about $500)
3) Put on a new fuel system such as the AirDog2 (about $600-$700)

IMHO, option 1 is sufficient for someone who will never go with a bigger than stock injector. Option 2 is also viable for stock injectors and is probably the way to go if you think you might someday go with a mildly bigger injector (155's to maybe 190's) and your fuel pressure is not terribly low (say better than 35psi at WOT). If you think you will be someday be going with really big injectors (something larger than 190's), then option 3 is probably the right choice....
All good advice. But..... You could have a pump that generates 5 times what is needed and the bypass regulator will send the excess back to the fuel tank. Point is, just make sure you are not being shorted by a weak bypass regulator spring :shrug03:

·
Registered
191 Posts
All of these fuel pressure issue threads are dizzying. I have inconsistent fuel pressure readings as well, and I'm growing weary of trying to run down the cause. I have replaced the HFCM, installed a regulator rebuild kit, installed two different fuel pressure sending units, installed a mechanical pressure gauge under the hood to reconcile the electrical sending unit readings, installed two new batteries, and bb modded the regulator. Other than the bb mod, my fuel system is completely stock.

Most often I have exactly 60psi at idle, 58-60 psi while pulling down the highway. However, for some reason I have yet to figure out, every once in a while my pressures will drop into the lower 50's at highway cruise, and significantly less than 45psi under hard acceleration.

Since I'm still under the factory warranty, I'm limited on what I can do.

Like I said, its frustrating. And if I don't get it figured out by next summer, I'm likely going to be trading the truck in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an 05 F450. This truck has gone thru 18 fuel injectors in the last 70K miles. This issue has me baffled as to what is making these go bad. The fuel psi sounds like it could be the problem. I do my oil changes every 3 K miles instead of 5 and replace all fuel filters every 3 rd oil change. Anything else I should be looking at??

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
I have an 05 F450. This truck has gone thru 18 fuel injectors in the last 70K miles. This issue has me baffled as to what is making these go bad. The fuel psi sounds like it could be the problem. I do my oil changes every 3 K miles instead of 5 and replace all fuel filters every 3 rd oil change. Anything else I should be looking at??
There is a very good chance you have a fuel pressure issue. In fact, anytime a truck has had multiple injector failures that should be one of the first things checked. Low fuel pressure is deadly for these injectors..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 6.0 that would randomly drop fuel pressure from 55 to 0 psi while driving and die. I dropped the tank and found I had broken off the fuel filter cone from my pickup draw tube. This was the second broken and disintegrated filter cone. My 2004 did not have the filters in the tank, but the pickup tube was half full of plastic bits from the disintegrated filter cones. It was packed with plastic bits all the way to the quick disconnect past the tube curve into the tank! I thought I had a weak fuel pump, but I had trash in the draw tube. I replaced the fuel pump, a second blue spring, and an XDP fuel regulated return and still had same problem! I cleaned the pickup tube and now the fuel pressure is 65 psi dragging my 17 foot lowboy loaded to the gills at WOT!

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Aftermarket fuel tank "pick-up" screens are VERY prone to early failure (Dorman stuff especially). Unfortunately it seems hard to get the OEM pickup screen (limited supply or backorder or some such nonsense). Part # E5TZ-9J306-BA

Oh and also no 6.0L came with filters in the tank.

These guys seem to have it:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts