The Diesel Stop banner

6.0 gas mileage

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PullnanMS 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2WD 2005 F350 dually. It is by far the nicest truck I have ever owned. However, I had a 2001 f250 4X4 that I traded in that got much better gas mileage. I was wondering what I can do to this truck to do better than 15mpg on the highway? It is basically stock, the only thing that has been done is a K&N filter. Someone please help!!!!

#2 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought a 2WD 2005 F350 dually. It is by far the nicest truck I have ever owned. However, I had a 2001 f250 4X4 that I traded in that got much better gas mileage. I was wondering what I can do to this truck to do better than 15mpg on the highway? It is basically stock, the only thing that has been done is a K&N filter. Someone please help!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you own a truck with a gas engine or a diesel engine?

#3 ·
What rear end do you have? How many miles are on the truck? When were the fuel filters changed last? How fast do you drive? I know you didn't ask for more questions, but perhaps answering these (and other questions) will help others respond to your concern.

Many folks here don't care for the K&N filter and will suggest that you get rid of it. I don't have any experience with the K&N, but the stock filter has been fine for me.

I get around 13 MPG in town, 11+ towing a LQ horse trailer on the highway, and 17+ running empty on the highway at or slightly above posted speed limits. If you're getting 15 or so, you're really not too far out of the ballpark.

#4 ·
I would start by replacing your K&N filter with the stock unit. You could clean your EGR valve but I dont think that will help you out much unless it was faulty to begin with. You can try running some Diesel Kleen in your fuel.

I dont think you will get much better than 15mpg with DRW's. Whats your gear ratio? That would explain it, I bet.

#5 ·
I don't believe you could get the 2005 F350 DRW with other than 410's or the Tow Boss with 430. It has been my experience so far that 16.5 has been about the best I can get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.