The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time my 2003 6.0 ran it started cutting out about1 mile from home on my way to
Brown Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Font

Black Textile Asphalt Style Road surface
Black Textile Asphalt Style Road surface

Brown Natural material Gas Rectangle Metal

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Rim Tread

Light Automotive exterior Font Tints and shades Metal

work. Low power, little pedal response. It was almost a year ago and I am finally getting to work on my vehicle. I don't recall a lot of the details but as best I can remember it went like this.
I moved from the driveway and in front of my shop that was the last time it ran. I put it on my scanner and it didn't seem to be making enough oil pressure to start, I can't recall the number so I pulled the IPR and found it had a hole in the screen. Installed a new screen and turned it over. No start, removed the IPR and found what appeared to be some sort of elastomeric material on the screen.
That was last November sometime. This week I cleaned up the top of the engine and removed everything to get to the oil cooler and found a lot of material and part of some sort of black maybe silicone gasket. I see that the last person to replace the oil cooler Installed a Dorman part. I just want to know if anyone has seen this much material in the oil cooler sump. I don't understand how it even ran at all unless this was a very rapid failure and it happened all the sudden.
So, I have a few questions.

1- what is the likely source of this material

2- what do I do to flush the system to remove all of the contamination.

3- what parts do I need to be concerned with needing replaced. Obviously it would be simple to say to just replace everything in the high pressure oil system but that is not necessarily in my budget.

4- I have already purchased the parts for replacement of the oil cooler, ford parts. I purchased the truck with 188 k and it currently has 250 k . I had back flushed the oil cooler after I first purchased it and was planning on replacing it any way. Any other items that should go along with the oil cooler? The egr had failed on the prior owner and it was welded according to what I was told but looking at it it appears that it just has caps at either end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I will look into the hpop that you recommended. I will be removing the from the housing tonight. I wrench a lot on just about anything and have a good customer base, but I am not very experienced with diesel engines. Your insight is greatly appreciated.
Do you have a preference for which hpop? It seems that the dieselsite unit has a better warranty. Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts