The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
That mess is from a cheap oil cooler with the cheap soft goods (gaskets and o-rings) degrading.

I can't imagine that this mess didn't show up on the oil cooler. Anyway, the ENTIRE system feeding the HPOP needs to be cleaned. That means ALSO flushing the line from the oil cooler sump to the HPOP.

Since it is an 03, I would just plan on replacing the HPOP. IMO you will have yours fail at some point in the near future from starved suction flow, sludge, and maybe excessive heat. The only 03-04 HPOPs worth buying are the ones from DieselSite or CNCFab.

You may also need to clean out the high pressure system AFTER the HPOP - branch tubes and oil rails. Any of that crud that gets through to the injectors will ruin the injector spool valve operation.

BTW - a failed screen on the IPR valve will not cause problems, so simply replacing a broken IPR screen will not fix anything. When the screen is damaged, it was damaged by foreign materials (contamination) blocking the screen and the pressure will then push the materials through the screen. When this happens, the foreign materials can cause the IPR valve to stick and not operate correctly. This is what causes problems, the screen itself has nothing to do with it.....the IPR valve is just a dump valve.

I am surprised that you didn't get any oil into the coolant system!

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I have seen a lot of problems on many brands of the early (03-04) remanufactured HPOPs, even the OEM ones.

DieselSite HPOP would be my first choice, but the one from CNCFab is good also. I have only seen one thread about a bad DieselSite HPOP in a BUNCH of years and I watch all the 6.0L forums.

You may not need a new HPOP, but starving them for oil is hard on them and it is possible that the trash on the oil cooler sump screen could have caused significantly reduced oil flow. I hate going in to these engines that deep .... not because it is hard, but because my fingers don't work as well as they used to. Mainly the issue is the potential of dropping things into the engine. Also, I really like to nail all of the identified "weak areas" on these 6.0's and those early HPOPs are definitely a weak point.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
It is just coincidence then. The oil doesn't even flow through the IPR valve until the ICP pressure is higher than what is called for by the PCM. Replacing the screen will in no way assist the oil pressure (high pressure system) to increase.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
As far as Pensacola goes, I have to strongly disagree.

Lots of threads on various diesel forums about their injectors being bad out of the box.

Also, I just helped a guy in February that installed one of their HPOPs and it was bad out of the box. Took a while to nail that down, but a new HPOP solved his problem.

One example:

There are many more similar threads that will come up when searching.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts