The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 6.0
Bought the truck used and was running fine over the years. But this all started a year ago or so. The batteries wouldn't charge, so replace the alternator and the batteries and it would run like a top for a few months. Recently I was having the same issues so replaced the alternator and it was working...but then stopped. I took the truck to an electrical specialty shop where they were not able to locate the issue as it would not act up for them. I recently replaced the passenger power cable from the alternator to the battery running in parallel to the factory wire. That let the truck run fine for about 3 weeks. But driving one night I noticed that at a stop light the voltage would drop down to around 11 and then under load it would come back up to 13s. Shut the truck off and went to drive again the voltage never reached over 11s under load or not. I am not sure where to go from here and what to do???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 04 f350 lariat not charging. Changed alt with a 110a and battery light still on and dies when pulling out of the yard. Help me

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Battery light on means you have to disconnect both batteries, charge each battery, then load test each battery - individually, Post results.

Autoparts stores will test the batteries, but I like to go to a battery shop (Interstate is a good place to go and most places have a local battery shop).

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Post all that you have done, so no need to throw out unnecessary questions

·
Registered
363 Posts
Too often when people are troubleshooting electrical problems the grounds get completely ignored. The ground path is every bit as important as the hot. A failure in either side of the circuit will cause virtually identical symptoms.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
2006 6.0
Bought the truck used and was running fine over the years. But this all started a year ago or so. The batteries wouldn't charge, so replace the alternator and the batteries and it would run like a top for a few months. Recently I was having the same issues so replaced the alternator and it was working...but then stopped. I took the truck to an electrical specialty shop where they were not able to locate the issue as it would not act up for them. I recently replaced the passenger power cable from the alternator to the battery running in parallel to the factory wire. That let the truck run fine for about 3 weeks. But driving one night I noticed that at a stop light the voltage would drop down to around 11 and then under load it would come back up to 13s. Shut the truck off and went to drive again the voltage never reached over 11s under load or not. I am not sure where to go from here and what to do???
Is the battery light on the instrument cluster on when this happens?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My truck was doing a similar thing...batteries would run down and also the cluster (and radio) would drop off line. Had all the usual tests run like batteries and alternator and they all checked out good. After chasing this problem around for a few MADDENING days sine it was INTERMITTENT, I found the culprit to be the snap in connector on the alternator (there are only two connections to it---the snap-in connector that has, IIRC, two wires in it and a cable that attaches to a post) that was intermittent. I did a little work on that connector to ensure that it made good, consistent contact and stayed tight with no intermittent problems.That was a while back and it has been so far good. For a while there, I was convinced that my alternator was giving up the ghost, but in spite of looking that way, THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Those wiring issues will cause this. I also would have recommended replacing the connector in question with a service pigtail to best correct pin fitment concerns.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2006 6.0
Bought the truck used and was running fine over the years. But this all started a year ago or so. The batteries wouldn't .....
My experience. Best thing I ever did was upgrade to a Leece-Neville 230 Amp alternator. Right after start (Idle) I'll be at 14.7 Volts. With the stock Alt I had to be above 1200RPM before I'd see that previously. Im convience the power output of this alt has negated FICM and battery issues. My current AGMs are on year five. Your mileage will vary but I am convinced this 230AMP alternator has done nothing but negate issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts