The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put an aftermarket oil filter in but haven't started the truck yet should I go get a OEM filter and replace it before I fire it up or has it already caused a problem with the drain and I'm just stuck with aftermarket

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Sounds like somebody put ideas into your head. it all depends on the filter used, if you tried anything to make it fit with a stock cap or try modifying an aftermarket cap. If you had to force anything then you m ight want to remove it and inspect the bottom of he housing for damage to the drain valve or the stand pipe. I once had a truck in the shop where someone had removed one of those non-OEM filter with the integral caps, ripped the filter out and reused the cap with a new filter. Crunched the standpipe into pieces. HAD to have been forced on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like somebody put ideas into your head. it all depends on the filter used, if you tried anything to make it fit with a stock cap or try modifying an aftermarket cap. If you had to force anything then you m ight want to remove it and inspect the bottom of he housing for damage to the drain valve or the stand pipe. I once had a truck in the shop where someone had removed one of those non-OEM filter with the integral caps, ripped the filter out and reused the cap with a new filter. Crunched the standpipe into pieces. HAD to have been forced on.
I didn't have to force anything but I've heard a lot of people say that wix filters are pretty bad and will cause problems. If that is true should I go get a OEM filter and cap and use instead of the wix

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
The WIX filters, if my memory serves me, requires a white plastic insert that goes into the center of the top of the stand pipe. It is not uncommon for that piece to break or damage the standpipe allowing plastic bits to restrict the oil passage or clog "things." Over the years I have replaced a number of damaged stand pipes but I admit to finding no related damage.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Are you sure you have an OEM oil filter cap (ie not the tall cap)? You could post a picture and we could identify what you have.

The drain valve just pops out. You can check it out yourself. Damage to the oil filter standpipe is pretty easy to see also, if you want to do an inspection.

You can even re-use that filter (if it is the correct one) after opening it up. That said, SOME aftermarket oil filters are not made as well, and some have even come apart before the next OCI was due. USUALLY that happens after being exposed to oil that is hotter than normal (in situations of plugged oil coolers). Some aftermarket filters are made with cheap plastic material - it is one way that the aftermarket can produce parts cheaper - use cheaper material, or material that could not pass the Quality inspections by the companies that makes it. Cheap plastic and rubber typically will not have the physical properties to withstand excess heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts