The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 F350 6.0 is throwing a P0460 Code.

I have read all the posts here and elsewhere regarding this code, but every post seems to end at sender replacement or re-flash. I have read quite a few threads that describe a reoccurring problem (like mine), but none come to any resolution.

I have replaced the sender with an OEM part (twice).

I have had the truck re-flashed to the latest version.

I have run every snake oil additive thru it to no avail.

I do not see any obvious issues in the harness at the sender, but don't have a wiring diagram to trace it out fully.

I'm stuck in California, so I can't register the truck until I can eliminate the CEL, and nothing I have done has worked. My fuel gauge works fine (and always has even when the code first came up). I ran the recommended fuel cleaners thru with no success. I replaced the sender with an OEM replacement, cleared the code. As soon as the monitors set the code came back. I had the dealership re-flash to the latest version, code returned when the monitors set. Dealership troubleshot came up with bad sender, so I thought on the off chance I got a bad replacement from Ford I replaced it again. Code came back when monitors set.

The dealer is stumped and so am I, so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had the p0460 several years ago combined with an erratic fuel gauge. It often would show that it was almost empty when it was actually almost full and other times it would show full when almost empty. My wife inadvertently drove it one afternoon thinking I had left it with a full tank and it was nearly empty and she ran out of gas.

I ran a few tanks with fuel treatment in it and this problem hasn't come back. It's almost been 4 years now with no issues (fingers crossed I haven't just jinxed myself).

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket fuel tank or a remote start?

Check Engine Light on with P0460 Fuel Level Sensor Code:
This may be caused by a miscommunication of fuel level status between the instrument cluster and engine computer. This code is set when the engine computer does not see the fuel level dropping it expects. It may be caused by customer-installed items, such as a remote start system that does not power the dash when activated, an over-sized fuel tank or in-bed fuel tank. If these conditions do not exist, the engine computer should be reprogrammed using WDS/IDS version 43.4 or higher. This condition can also be caused by fueling with the engine running, parking on an angle, or driving up a long grade. In some cases the fuel level sender may be faulty, or have a sulfur build up on the sender and have code P463 (use Chevron Techron Plus Concentrate to correct). TSB 06-13-11

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock

Stock Tank, no added remote start.

No electronic modifications of any kind.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Stock Tank, no added remote start.

No electronic modifications of any kind.
I know you gave us enough information to help you but providing vehicle information in your signature is best - include model/year, engine trans, 4X4... modifications or no mods... etc...

Diagnosing a harness concern requires more than just looking at it. There are two circuits involved in the fuel level indication that run to the instrument cluster. The cluster must be accessed to test the circuits and sometimes the fuel tank as well - performing a resistance check while moving and bending the harness will identify intermittent concerns - each circuit should be load tested and at that time a voltage drop test will confirm or prove out any resistance in the circuits. If no one has made the effort to do this then your concern has not been properly diagnosed - this is common because there a lot of lazy technicians that don't want to make the effort AND customers that do not want to pay the labor to test it correctly. I apologize for the digression... If all checks out the diagnostics have us look at the Fuel Level Input parameter in the PCM which is network shared from the cluster. With no other PCM codes, especially network related, the PCM is suspect if the FLI parameter does not match the fuel level indicated on the fuel gauge.

About the PCM - I am not sure why the PCM would be the only suspect module in that scenario as the IC needs to be sending the correct data to the PCM in the first place. But, if the gauge indicates the proper level I guess Ford assumes the PCM is at fault. I have yet to see one cause this code... for me it has always been senders and harness issues. There is no way to test either module for this fault other than to replace or substitute a known good module... which most people will not have access to.

As for the circuits, if you want to test them I attached the wiring diagram - test circuits 29 YE/WH and 396 BK/OG. Use proper test lead adapters to prevent damaging the terminals especially at the cluster as they are tiny and fragile. Also, locate connector C211 on the left front splash shield in the engine compartment. You should be able to identidy it by matching the wire colors and their respective pin locations. Disconnect it making sure it was fully connected, clean and dry with no terminal corrosion.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Nice post ford_doctor.

TMC74 - you need a scan tool to read the PCM parameter (PID) values. With that you can retrieve the fuel level value in the PCM - under the PID name of FLI. That is the number to compare against your dash display.

The most economical tool is a phone app w/ an ELM327 OBDII adapter. IMO the app "ForScan" is the most thorough, but a lot of people use Torque Pro. The adapter you need will depend on your phone (WiFi for iOS and BlueTooth for Android). A lot of adapter brands are "clones" and don't work well. I have found the BAFX brand adapters to work very well.

If you don't have a smartphone, then a lot of people buy the ScanGaugeII, or spend a LOT of money for the Edge CTS2 (which is nice - just expensive).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts