The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 F-250 4x4 with the 6.0. Just blew an injector and may have ruined the engine - will find out shortly.
Is it feasible, or even possible, to swap a 2003 or earlier 7.3 engine into the truck? If so, what other items, like wiring harness, PCM, etc, would need to be changed or modified?
One of the reasons I went to diesel was to use homemade bio-diesel but it is apparant that the 6.0 is not as friendly to BD as the 7.3.
Appreciate all comments and suggestions.
<font color="black"> </font>

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
The PCM is definitely different. So is the turbo and the engine fan. And a biggie is the automagic tranny. If you find a donor vehicle with a 7.3L, then you'll want everything attached to the engine and tranny except the air intake system (AIS) and exhaust system. Plus you'll also need the PCM that matches the engine and tranny. Install a new Ford AIS and an aftermarket performance exhaust system made for the 7.3L.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Find a donor truck and swap the body, and suspension. It's easier.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You'd have to swap out so many things, you might as well get a 7.3. Engine and trans to begin with and much of the harness.

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
Also you'll have to check with local laws. If your truck is inspected or your state may adopt inspection laws in the future, your truck will not pass with an "older" engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll probably fix or replace the 6.0. If I do that, can I use a later model 6.0? If I do, what else would need replacing?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
336 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Also you'll have to check with local laws. If your truck is inspected or your state may adopt inspection laws in the future, your truck will not pass with an "older" engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be true for the 04 and later trucks, but in 03 you could get the 7.3 during job 1, so even if they were to require inspection and stuff, he's not running an "older" engine than what came in his model year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts