The Diesel Stop banner

6.0 VS 7.3 do they tow the same?

7K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  malkiman 
#1 ·
I am considering a new 2005 F350 SD PSD. The only reason I am considering the new truck is price with the current Ford Employee Promotion.

I currently have a 1999.5 F250 SD 7.3 and it pulls great. Are there any advantages, or disadvantages of the 6.0 vs the 7.3 for pulling. I pull a 30' 5th wheel, 10000 to 12000 wt range. Pulling the 5th wheel is 85% of my purpose for my truck.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions...

#2 ·
I traded a 99 F-250 7.3 like you have for a (see Sig) new 350.There is as much difference as night and day. totally happy with the trade. I had to stop midway up a 7% grade to help a fellow rv'er with a blown tranny in a Dodge. We waited on the tow truck to arrive and get them. I told the wife we will now see what Ford has to offer. We started from a dead stop and topped the grade running 60 mph. The 6.0, and auto never skipped a beat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

#4 ·
Many will complain and say that the 6.0 is gutless b/c it likes alittle higher rpm than the 7.3. So what thats what it was designed to do. IMHO the 6.0 has much more power than the 7.3.

#5 ·
The 7.3 had boatloads of power if you wound it up too but it would pull at low speed also. The 6.0 is great on the interstate but a dog with a load in town.

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The 7.3 had boatloads of power if you wound it up too but it would pull at low speed also. The 6.0 is great on the interstate but a dog with a load in town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hardly. When was the last time you drove a stock 7.3? I remember taking the chip out of my 7.3 about a month before I got rid of it and even with the stage II injectors that thing was a dog! I'd love to give you a ride in my 05 and show you how good it is on the bottom end even with my trailer in tow.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your positive support! You helped me make the decision tonight!

Bought the 2005 Lariat Crew Cab SB PSD. Should be able to pick it up Monday! I am really excited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifnow I need to sell my 1999.5 sometime soon to make room in the garage...

#8 ·
Had a stock '04 6.0L and now have a stock '00 7.3L.

The 7.3L has a lot more low end (<1250 RPM) torque. It's great for moving larger objects from a dead stop.

If you stick to the interstates only go with the 6.0L, but more than 25% city should go with the 7.3L.

Just an opinion like so many others floating out there.

#9 ·
How many people tow around town all day?

I always tow on the highway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The 6.0 has lag...but it boogies once you're past that.

#11 ·
I would definately get the 4:10's if you are towing a lot. Otherwise you have to do 75-80mph to get in the 2200-2400 rpm range where the 6L is happy.

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 6.0 has lag...but it boogies once you're past that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when you use the Tow/Haul mode it doesn't.

CMOS

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in tow haul, when i mash the pedal, it takes about 3 to 4 seconds to get up to power.

this was the same as my 04 and my buddies 04 also.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hardly. When was the last time you drove a stock 7.3? I remember taking the chip out of my 7.3 about a month before I got rid of it and even with the stage II injectors that thing was a dog! I'd love to give you a ride in my 05 and show you how good it is on the bottom end even with my trailer in tow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take either my chipped 7.3 or the non-chipped over either of my 6.0's for low end. THey are both 550's and as soon as a trailer is hooked up they are both dogs compared to the 7.3's. Funny thing is I drove a 350 6.0 today and it was nothing like either of our others when taking off. It felt just like my 7.3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#14 ·
I tow a 13,500 lbs 5TH wheel with my 05 6.0 XLT 4X4. No mods and so far no problems (Knock on wood). It seems to tow my 5ver very well but I never owned a 7.3 to compare with. I have not done any significant climbing yet but so far seems to have plenty of power once I get past the turbo lag. I actually have to watch my speed on the freeway. I'm Also considering installing 4:10 gears.

#15 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Odly enough i just got back to Boulder from Butte pulling the A220 Bobcat over the continental divide at 6400 feet an hour ago with our 02 7.3. Never went below 65 mph all the way here! The jobsite where i had to pull it out of would have had my 6.0 in low range to get it rolling.............

#16 ·
last week I was hauling an s160 skid loader with an 18' trailer lined up at a stop light with my brother and his 01 f-250 with a 16' trailer and 763 skid loader. The trailer I had is slightly heavier along with the s160 being heavier as we have tracks on that tractor. From a dead stop to 60 it was not even a race. I would guess a good 100 feet difference. My own personal opinion when it comes to 7.3 vs. 6.0 would all vary on the tranny. Manual tranny I would say go with the 7.3 I feel that as said earlier the 6.0 doesnt have the low end to compensate for the manual transmission. As far as an auto goes, I say go 6.0 The converter in the 6.0 allows the engine to rev and make plenty of power for off the line starts. Pulling the same s160 skid loader on the 18' trailer I can leave a couple of black marks. More than plenty of power if you ask me. Just my $.02

#17 ·
sense i drive a modded 6.0. A 7.3 just seems like a dog all around. till you get the thing up there in power. Like said before, need to travel around 75-80 to keep it from down shifting on hills. I came from syracus, Ny back to MA with a 9-10k load without downshifting. And theres some good hills. You will be happy with it.

#18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
last week I was hauling an s160 skid loader with an 18' trailer lined up at a stop light with my brother and his 01 f-250 with a 16' trailer and 763 skid loader. The trailer I had is slightly heavier along with the s160 being heavier as we have tracks on that tractor. From a dead stop to 60 it was not even a race. I would guess a good 100 feet difference. My own personal opinion when it comes to 7.3 vs. 6.0 would all vary on the tranny. Manual tranny I would say go with the 7.3 I feel that as said earlier the 6.0 doesnt have the low end to compensate for the manual transmission. As far as an auto goes, I say go 6.0 The converter in the 6.0 allows the engine to rev and make plenty of power for off the line starts. Pulling the same s160 skid loader on the 18' trailer I can leave a couple of black marks. More than plenty of power if you ask me. Just my $.02

[/ QUOTE ]

True the 6.0 probably makes power with an auto but you can't hardly sell an auto out here. All the contractors we know have 6 spds. Less headache in the long run...........

#19 ·
The 6.0 are great and a good all around truck, here in the heat and desert where I live they are borderline overheating at best. If you chip it and are in temps around 100+ degrees I will guarantee it will fail and overheat if you tow a heavy load. We are seeing and you can read others post about them overheating. 240 plus is a common temp
for these stock. With a programmer forget it. When they come in overheating and a programmer I close the hood and park the truck.
Think of it as a furnace. more fuel or power =higher temps. diesels do not rely on the correct air/fuel ratio that is why they can get the extreme gains with mods unlike a gasser that has to have the right ratio. What happens when you throw more fuel into a fire?
I am stating this because your signature had mods and if you are planning on doing this to your 6.0 do not tow with it on.
Leave it alone if you want it to last.

#23 ·
Had a 2003 with the 7.3 and now have a 2005 with the 6.0. I tow a 10,000lbs trailer and hands down the 6.0 is the better tow truck. I tow from NYC to the Florida Keys and I would never go back to the 7.3. I did not dislike the 7.3 in any way... it is just that the 6.0 with the tow/haul and break controller is just a better a tow truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.