The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can my 6.o engine block be resleeved ? or is it not worth fixing?My dealer thought i needed injector in #8 turns out the compression is down in 2 cylinders!! Think I am gonna puke:sick:!!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I think the more important question is how do you know the cylinders are the problem? Was a manual compression test performed or just a relative compression test with a scan tool? Has the engine been disassembled and inspected and exactly what was the damage found?

There could be a valve train problem. You could have a couple slightly bent connecting rods from hydro locking or, yes, a cylinder issue. Typically 6.0L engines don't just take out a cylinder. Piston melting predominately precedes such a failure and you need to identify the cause of that as well.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Couldn't agree more with the doctor!!! Even if they did do a compression test, all that would do is help identify the two cylinders that were low. Sounds like your dealer is leaning on his service department to pay the bills. Head removal would be my next step after I stuck my borescope in the holes for a look see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the doc is right on with this one.The service records indicate the motor was hydro locked due to head gasket failure and it would not crank over. If thats the case and it has bent rods and the dealer did this work under warranty at 76000 miles can i get them to stand good for it now at 93000? just asking thanks

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I think the doc is right on with this one.The service records indicate the motor was hydro locked due to head gasket failure and it would not crank over.

First, there is a flaw in your statement. 6.0L cylinder head gasket failures DO NOT result in coolant in the cylinders. If I were to guess you likely had an EGR cooler failure at that time and the repairing dealer replaced everything. Check your paperwork and see if that is accurate.

If thats the case and it has bent rods and the dealer did this work under warranty at 76000 miles can i get them to stand good for it now at 93000? just asking thanks

First you would need a complete diagnosis to determine that any connecting rod(s) have actually been bent. This goes well beyond a manual compression test and requires that the cylinder heads be removed from the engine and a Piston Protrusion measurement be taken for each cylinder. Read THIS ARTICLE for a complete explanation of this procedure.

Second, if this was the scenario, why did it take 19,000 miles for the engine to begin running poorly before you noticed?

Which leads to the warranty question, maybe. If you can tie one repair to this failure it is possible, but, we need to be precise in our diagnosis.

·
Registered
821 Posts
hope it works out for you. would be great if you don't have to pick up the tab yourself. let us know how it works out, and what you find when you do open it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the truck at 93000 when i took it to my ford dealer for service the tech noticed when it cranked over it had a miss,then when the engine fired it went away,it did this hot or cold.When they diaged it it said it had a bad #8 injector they put the injector in it still missed futher diag showed it has low compression in #6 &#8 the dealer i bought it from in N.Y. was by law supposed to give me a warranty with the truck now he does not want to pay for the repair work.:sick: I guess I will see him in court

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
the dealer i bought it from in N.Y. was by law supposed to give me a warranty with the truck
Must be a N.Y. kind of thing..Out here there is a BIG STICKER in the window that has two boxes: WARRANTY and an explanation with cost or,

NO WARRANTY/ AS-IS...

I wish you luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ford_doctor have you ever seen a 6.0L have no compression on a couple of cylinders and low compression on all others? It is an 06 F350

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
ford_doctor have you ever seen a 6.0L have no compression on a couple of cylinders and low compression on all others? It is an 06 F350
Yep - one or two engines that had programmers on them. Melted pistons. Another thing that causes that is excessive oil carryover in the CAC system from an elevated oil level condition (once most common on 6.4L engines) or a turbocharger failure that leaked oil into the intake side. Excessive oil carryover becomes an un-metered fuel source especially if the CAC becomes partially filled. This can also cause a runaway condition. EGR cooler failures on 6.0L engines usually do not cause engine wide damage unless it it a catastrophic failure during operation. They typically just font fail like that. In any event, if you have low compression affecting the entire engine you have a systematic problem whether it be poor air filtration, overfueling or the causes I mentioned you need to figure that out before completing repairs.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
First, there is a flaw in your statement. 6.0L cylinder head gasket failures DO NOT result in coolant in the cylinders.
I have to disagree with you there. A blown HG can indeed cause coolant in a cylinder. It happened to me, and my truck did not have an EGR cooler on it. It hydrolocked on cranking. I was pretty sure a HG was blown prior to this as it was eating coolant, blowing steam out the exhaust, and I'd had one or two days when it almost locked up on cranking in the morning, but I was just able to get it to start (must have ingested just enough coolant that it didn't lock and allowed it to be pushed out on the exhaust stroke).

While doing the HGs I checked each piston for deck height with a deck bridge to verify nothing got bent, and nothing was. I don't think the starter has enough torque to bend anything. Had it been running at the time it would have likely been catastrophic, though I've never heard of that happening on a 6.0.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Ford doctor what can you tell me about low compression in #1 and #8 cylinders
Would you care to expand on that a little? I do not have a crystal ball.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts