The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 6.0l bullet proofed and running an sct tuner, am spending the money to fix a cracked ring so I plan to keep the truck for a long time. I am wondering if it would be better to spend the money and get an oil cooler delete or upgrade the cooler and get a coolant filtration system?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
No one can really answer that for you. It depends on whether you want to and /or have to (via e-tests) be emission legal.

(I'm assuming you meant EGR delete, not oil cooler.)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 2006 6.0l bullet proofed and running an sct tuner, am spending the money to fix a cracked ring so I plan to keep the truck for a long time. I am wondering if it would be better to spend the money and get an oil cooler delete or upgrade the cooler and get a coolant filtration system?
If you are talking about something like BPD's oil cooler and filter kit, you need to figure the cost of the kit against the interval and cost of OEM replacement. How many miles did the original last? I went the kit route on my 6.4 because the OEM replacement cost was just about the same as putting on the kit, and the kit is a one-time affair (I just had my heads replaced, so I had the mechanic change out the OEM cooler for one I supplied; I don't figure I will ever replace it again).

Definitely recommend a filtration kit. There are several available, all about the same price. I think the Sinister is the best looking one, and I like the fittings. I have a different brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I meant oil cooler, my egr was deleted along time ago. BPD makes a cooler delete And I was seeing what your opinions are about going that route and getting rid of the cooler all together or upgrading from the stock cooler and running a coolant filtration with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
No one makes a oil cooler delete kit. It's a relocation kit. You can relocate the factory cooler or install a aftermarket air cooled oil cooler. Either way you still have a oil cooler. The engine wouldn't last a1,000 miles without a oil cooler.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
IMO the cost of the BPD system is simply not justified. But, some of that depends on if you do your own work or not. I do all my own, so at $270 for the OC kit I can buy 10 of those before the scale starts to tip in favor of the BPD system. I'll die before I go through that many OCs. But if you're having to pay for labor then you're adding another $500-$700 to that cost each time, so it comes out to more like 3-4 times.

To me, the factory OC is not the problem, and the relocation kits are sort of a solution in search of a problem. The problem is the Ford gold coolant and the lack of a coolant filter. If you can get the system clean and run filtration you should never need to replace an OC again. If you just swap the OC it will likely plug gain within 10k miles because the root cause was not addressed.

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
IMO the cost of the BPD system is simply not justified. But, some of that depends on if you do your own work or not. I do all my own, so at $270 for the OC kit I can buy 10 of those before the scale starts to tip in favor of the BPD system. I'll die before I go through that many OCs. But if you're having to pay for labor then you're adding another $500-$700 to that cost each time, so it comes out to more like 3-4 times.

To me, the factory OC is not the problem, and the relocation kits are sort of a solution in search of a problem. The problem is the Ford gold coolant and the lack of a coolant filter. If you can get the system clean and run filtration you should never need to replace an OC again. If you just swap the OC it will likely plug gain within 10k miles because the root cause was not addressed.
NAILED IT! :eek:rder::thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are talking about something like BPD's oil cooler and filter kit, you need to figure the cost of the kit against the interval and cost of OEM replacement. How many miles did the original last? I went the kit route on my 6.4 because the OEM replacement cost was just about the same as putting on the kit, and the kit is a one-time affair (I just had my heads replaced, so I had the mechanic change out the OEM cooler for one I supplied; I don't figure I will ever replace it again).

Definitely recommend a filtration kit. There are several available, all about the same price. I think the Sinister is the best looking one, and I like the fittings. I have a different brand.

One bit of advice is to get a coolant filtration kit that has valves on the in and out, it makes it much less messy to change out filters. Some kits do not come with dual valves, so check before you order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts