The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 F350, 6.0

I bought this truck about 3 months ago and picked it up as a project to nurse it back to life. When I first bought the truck it was running rough and had all the typical 6.0L starting problems, rough idle, etc etc. I get it home and into my garage and dive into it. First thing I noticed is the EGR delete had been hacked and not done proper at all. So I pull the intake, installed a proper delete system and slammed it all back together.

Once that was done I started it up and obviously still had a miss and rough idle, this was my next project. I hooked up my Edge Insite and went for a drive. Immediately I noticed my ficm voltage was low, only at 38v during a cold start, but as the engine warmed up it would eventually hit 48v, and usually bounce from 48 to 45.5 during normal operation. So once the hit the miss was only noticeable in overdrive when the TC locked. As I got the engine up to temp the miss faded away and the truck ran just about perfect, however you could still feel it ever so slightly when it was pulling hard, but the idle had cleared up. There was also no dtc's at this time.

I had a friend who is a ford diesel tech come over and run some tests for me with his laptop. He performed a cylinder contribution test and found that cold number 5 was virtually dead, as well as number 3 and 7 were weak. Once engine hit temps it would smooth out but still not perfect. He performed a injector buzz test and found that number 3 was quiet, 5 was dead, and 7 was quiet. All other ones seemed normal. This was performed cold as well. His advice to me was to replace 3,5,7 injectors, as well as number 1 due to the fact that 3,5,7 are all on the same bank and leaving 1 old one inside was just not smart as it will most likely fail soon due to the other ones being new. He also told me my ficm was no good, and that I should be updating my fuel pressure regulator to the new blue spring. We did not test fuel pressure at that time. The tank and fuel module down on the frame rail were both new when I bought the truck as well.

OK, so flash forward to last week. I replaced 1,3,5,7 injectors. New fuel pressure regulator, all new filters and oil. I also replaced oil cooler as my deltas were way off and I figured if I'm going in this far, why not. I picked up a ficm half shell but soon noticed that my ficm was a 7 screw and cannot be half shelled. I got a hold of ed at ficmrepair.com and set it off to him. Once my ficm was back I installed onto the truck but guess what I did. I broke the x2 connector :no: dammit. Being that it was a weekend and no parts around i decided that I would try the old zip tie trick.

Once I got the truck running, which took a little while BTW, it ran pretty smooth. I set it outside and let it warm up to temp before a road test. The pcm commanded high idle and even on high idle it sounded really good and I thought for sure my problems were gone because originally my issue was cold and now as the truck sat outside, warming up, it sounded as good as a new 6.0 should.

Wrong. I jumped inside the truck and threw it in drive and hit the throttle. I could immediately feel that it wasnt right. It felt like a dog and once I let the engine return to idle it had a pretty strong lope, almost strong enough that I felt like if I didn't hold the brake down hard enough it wanted to limp ahead and plow into the back of the BMW in front of me. I went on a strong road test thinking maybe air in the fuel or HPOP side might be causing some of my issues but even after a long hard drive the problem still existed. I got the truck back home and scanned the codes with my instite and pulled p0275 for cylinder 5 contribution.

Immediately I thought that was strange that my exact same cylinder was giving me issues again. I mean the odds of a injector being faulty out of the box are slim as it is, yes it does happen, but assuming 1 of the 4 injectors I replaced were bad the odds of me putting that back into the same hole is even more slim. Something just wasnt adding up. I got my wiring diagram out and found that cylinder 5 was wired to the same x2 connector that was busted on the ficm. I pulled the old harness off and replaced it with a brand new one from ford. I started the truck. It idled great and came up on high idle great just as it did before. I backed out of the driveway and felt the same issue again. Rough running, lope idle, and it threw p0275 again within a few miles.

I came back to the house and shut the truck off. It was up to full temperature. I sat there pondering my next move. I started it up again and it idled perfect, even though it was hot. I hit the throttle to give it a quick rev and it missed and then returned to a lope idle. I shut it off again, let the pcm power down for a minute and restarted it. Again it would run normal until I touched the throttle. During all of these issues I have not once seen any smoke from the exhaust, and it always starts fast, hot or cold. When it is missing at highway speeds if you drive the truck in overdrive it shakes so bad you cannot keep the wheel straight. It seems to me that number 5 is totally dead and not contributing all all.

Yesterday morning I started it up and it ran good cold, starts quick, no smoke and was idling very smooth. Drove it around the block a little slowly to warm up, was running good until about 140 degrees EOT then the same issues started. I noticed again that shutting it off, letting it set for a minute and restarting would fix the problem.

So with all that being said (sorry for the long post) what do you guys think? Everyone keeps telling me injector, injector, injector, but I just don't see that happening. The odds are so slim in this case. I contacted ed at ficm repair and he suggested that it is possible, even though it is rare to have the driver side of the ficm fail, but the fact that shutting it down and restarting and having it run normal again seems odd. I am going to have my friend look at it again and verify that it is in fact cylinder 5 again, and run the buzz test again to make sure all injectors are working proper on the electrical side.

Would this be a fuel pressure issue, and if so why is it only showing on number 5?
Could this be a HP oil side issue, maybe a leak, but again why only number 5?

I will also add that when it was originally looked at and number 5 was condemned, he also ran a test to check the integrity of the bottom end which stops the injectors from firing and measures crank speed to see if either cylinder is low on compression. It's not a totally accurate test, but it passed with no indication of issues. When I changed out the injectors I also didn't notice anything wrong with the rockers, or push tubes from what I could see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I have a 03 F250 6.0 with 175,000 miles 4x4 with the same po275 cyld. 5 contra/bal. rough idle issue....I am trying to find the solution like you for this before taking apart the whole passenger side valve cover and all. My truck is also new to me, only had since 172,000 miles couple months, I have done the reg. maint. stuff and replaced a number 2 glow plug that was tripped and fixed all but this 275 code.? I am not much for the dealer run around and loss of my wallet stuff, but I am thinking of having them run a diag. on it with me watching as a idea, but I don't know if they will let me watch? If not I quess they won't get my money either....I don't know much of my trucks maint. history either not that that would help much? If I find out anything I'll post the fix for everyone to see. Thinking of buying on ebay the shop manuals, but they are bucks $$$100.00/$200.00 And dealer diag. is at least $89.00 per hr.. I'm patient though.....maybe I'll trip over the solution with someone online....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Code, but no symptoms for over a year

I have had the cylinder 5 contribution code for over a year now, but the truck is showing no symptoms. I have replaced my ficm a few years back and have lost a couple injectors which were replaced about a year ago when I had a rough idle. The cylinder 5 code will not go away regardless, even if cleared it will show up with 10-20 miles of driving. But like I said the truck runs great and has never shown any symptoms of an issue; the only reason I know the code is there is when I check for it.

If you do find out any insights, I too would love to know why I can't get rid of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any ideas? I have this code, and the dealership wants to replace the injector, FICM harness and main engine harness. But they won't tell me why... But the only thing y'all haven't listed that the dealership said for mine is the main engine harness. Not saying that is the solution either, I think they just want money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2003 F350, 6.0

I bought this truck about 3 months ago and picked it up as a project to nurse it back to life. When I first bought the truck it was running rough and had all the typical 6.0L starting problems, rough idle, etc etc. I get it home and into my garage and dive into it. First thing I noticed is the EGR delete had been hacked and not done proper at all. So I pull the intake, installed a proper delete system and slammed it all back together.

Once that was done I started it up and obviously still had a miss and rough idle, this was my next project. I hooked up my Edge Insite and went for a drive. Immediately I noticed my ficm voltage was low, only at 38v during a cold start, but as the engine warmed up it would eventually hit 48v, and usually bounce from 48 to 45.5 during normal operation. So once the hit the miss was only noticeable in overdrive when the TC locked. As I got the engine up to temp the miss faded away and the truck ran just about perfect, however you could still feel it ever so slightly when it was pulling hard, but the idle had cleared up. There was also no dtc's at this time.

I had a friend who is a ford diesel tech come over and run some tests for me with his laptop. He performed a cylinder contribution test and found that cold number 5 was virtually dead, as well as number 3 and 7 were weak. Once engine hit temps it would smooth out but still not perfect. He performed a injector buzz test and found that number 3 was quiet, 5 was dead, and 7 was quiet. All other ones seemed normal. This was performed cold as well. His advice to me was to replace 3,5,7 injectors, as well as number 1 due to the fact that 3,5,7 are all on the same bank and leaving 1 old one inside was just not smart as it will most likely fail soon due to the other ones being new. He also told me my ficm was no good, and that I should be updating my fuel pressure regulator to the new blue spring. We did not test fuel pressure at that time. The tank and fuel module down on the frame rail were both new when I bought the truck as well.

OK, so flash forward to last week. I replaced 1,3,5,7 injectors. New fuel pressure regulator, all new filters and oil. I also replaced oil cooler as my deltas were way off and I figured if I'm going in this far, why not. I picked up a ficm half shell but soon noticed that my ficm was a 7 screw and cannot be half shelled. I got a hold of ed at ficmrepair.com and set it off to him. Once my ficm was back I installed onto the truck but guess what I did. I broke the x2 connector ?? dammit. Being that it was a weekend and no parts around i decided that I would try the old zip tie trick.

Once I got the truck running, which took a little while BTW, it ran pretty smooth. I set it outside and let it warm up to temp before a road test. The pcm commanded high idle and even on high idle it sounded really good and I thought for sure my problems were gone because originally my issue was cold and now as the truck sat outside, warming up, it sounded as good as a new 6.0 should.

Wrong. I jumped inside the truck and threw it in drive and hit the throttle. I could immediately feel that it wasnt right. It felt like a dog and once I let the engine return to idle it had a pretty strong lope, almost strong enough that I felt like if I didn't hold the brake down hard enough it wanted to limp ahead and plow into the back of the BMW in front of me. I went on a strong road test thinking maybe air in the fuel or HPOP side might be causing some of my issues but even after a long hard drive the problem still existed. I got the truck back home and scanned the codes with my instite and pulled p0275 for cylinder 5 contribution.

Immediately I thought that was strange that my exact same cylinder was giving me issues again. I mean the odds of a injector being faulty out of the box are slim as it is, yes it does happen, but assuming 1 of the 4 injectors I replaced were bad the odds of me putting that back into the same hole is even more slim. Something just wasnt adding up. I got my wiring diagram out and found that cylinder 5 was wired to the same x2 connector that was busted on the ficm. I pulled the old harness off and replaced it with a brand new one from ford. I started the truck. It idled great and came up on high idle great just as it did before. I backed out of the driveway and felt the same issue again. Rough running, lope idle, and it threw p0275 again within a few miles.

I came back to the house and shut the truck off. It was up to full temperature. I sat there pondering my next move. I started it up again and it idled perfect, even though it was hot. I hit the throttle to give it a quick rev and it missed and then returned to a lope idle. I shut it off again, let the pcm power down for a minute and restarted it. Again it would run normal until I touched the throttle. During all of these issues I have not once seen any smoke from the exhaust, and it always starts fast, hot or cold. When it is missing at highway speeds if you drive the truck in overdrive it shakes so bad you cannot keep the wheel straight. It seems to me that number 5 is totally dead and not contributing all all.

Yesterday morning I started it up and it ran good cold, starts quick, no smoke and was idling very smooth. Drove it around the block a little slowly to warm up, was running good until about 140 degrees EOT then the same issues started. I noticed again that shutting it off, letting it set for a minute and restarting would fix the problem.

So with all that being said (sorry for the long post) what do you guys think? Everyone keeps telling me injector, injector, injector, but I just don't see that happening. The odds are so slim in this case. I contacted ed at ficm repair and he suggested that it is possible, even though it is rare to have the driver side of the ficm fail, but the fact that shutting it down and restarting and having it run normal again seems odd. I am going to have my friend look at it again and verify that it is in fact cylinder 5 again, and run the buzz test again to make sure all injectors are working proper on the electrical side.

Would this be a fuel pressure issue, and if so why is it only showing on number 5?
Could this be a HP oil side issue, maybe a leak, but again why only number 5?

I will also add that when it was originally looked at and number 5 was condemned, he also ran a test to check the integrity of the bottom end which stops the injectors from firing and measures crank speed to see if either cylinder is low on compression. It's not a totally accurate test, but it passed with no indication of issues. When I changed out the injectors I also didn't notice anything wrong with the rockers, or push tubes from what I could see.
I know this is a really old post. I've been looking for so long about a resolution to this same issue. Did you ever find out the cause of the recurring p0275? I've replaced everything under the damn sun. Any repair shop Ive talked with including my local Ford Dealer have never heard of anything like this. And when they put the computer on it, my truck shows perfect yet I can pin point the ECT temp it does it at and I can feel the shake when it happens sitting at a light. Of all the forums I've been to and found a similar issue, theres never a final resolution.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Swap #5 injector with #3 and see if the code moves to #3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I swapped them this morning. Why does that side have to be so much harder then the driver side? I've driven the truck through 2 heat cycles and nothing so far. We shall see what a few days does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts