The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine has a 2003 6.0 this is the second HPOP he has put in. The first lasted a month the second lasted 4 days. He has replaced them with pumps from NAPA. He has done the cooler, ICP, IPR. The thing reaks of diesel but theres nothing dripping on the ground. He had it running fine then he turned it off 20 minutes later it would not start. It was starting and running fine for the four days it was going. Any ideas??

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
So what you're saying is that he bought two HPOPs from NAPA and they were both junk? I'd pinpoint the problem as most likely another bad HPOP. Whoever their rebuilder is they suck. Buy one from www.thedieselsite.com. They have a very good reputation.

But, this doesn't mean you shouldn't go through the regular checklist for a no start condition. Did you try unplugging the ICP yet? Early 6.0s have a problem with the ICP getting saturated with oil and ruining both the sensor and the wiring going to it. If there is oil saturation on these parts the ICP should be replaced as well as the pigtail for the wiring. If it starts with the ICP unplugged the ICP is bad. If it doesn't check the next things on the list, but its still possible the ICP is bad, just that its not the only problem.

You need to check the IPR vs. ICP when cranking. ICP should build to over 500psi quickly and IPR should stay fairly low (20% or so). If the IPR shoots up to 85% (max) and you still aren't getting 500psi there's a leak somewhere. It could be that the IPR is bad, problem is there's no real way to check it. You can look for a damaged screen or debris on the end of it (usually debris that got through from an OC job where they didn't properly clean out the OC reservoir, or the HPOP screen in the reservoir is damaged).

That'll get you started. Post back with results and we'll see where we go from there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that. Thanks for the info I will let you know.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be a while before i report back. Im trying to talk him out of lighting it on fire (just kidding). But he really feels un motivated to work on it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I had diesel smell when my fuel pressure regulator was leaking. Did the blue spring kit to it and the smell went away.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were up here in New Mexico so that would be a far trip. Also is there a way to check oil level in the HPOP?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts