The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Crew Cab 6.0 4WD.. This thing gets 9 mpg and drops when I'm at a stop light. Help please any ideas will help. I don't stomp on it, I drive light, let it warm up, all stock. Driving around it will go up, 9.8 9.9 10.0 but as soon as I stop instantly it goes 10.0 9.9 9.8 etc.. This is on the Edge CTS and the Dash "Lie O Meter" stays pretty consistent with the Edge CTS with the MPG read out. Thanks!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Have you actually calculated your MPG?.. Fill it up to the complete top of the tank spout. Drive it for a few hundred miles and then fill it back up to the top of the spout. Then do the math and see how many gallons you used to go however far you drove between fillups.

I realize that this is not rocket science but I wouldn't be so sure that your guage is accurate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only 'true and actual mileage average is to do like dillion134 told you. Fill the tank to the top of the spout, record the mileage on the odometer and drive the truck a few hundred mile, fill it back to the top of the spout and record the odometer mileage again, divide the miles traveled by the amount of fuel added to the tank and you have your average for the distance traveled. the lie-o-meter is for your entertainment only and most are not accurate, some are closer than others.

I also will add that the less often you 'reset' the lie-o-meter the more accurate the average MPG will be. jmho

·
Registered
212 Posts
Technically,

When stopped you are getting 0 MPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have for many years reset my trip every tank. It started when the fuel gauge on my Chevy silverado went out. miles on the trip divided by gallons when you top off. every time. With my truck i get average 11.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, it really depends on what kind of driving you do. My wife gets about 16 in our 6.0 Excursion but she drives lots of highway and is easy on the pedal. I get about 14 in my 6.0 F250.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts