The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 F-250. Truck turns over very fast as there is no compression. Seeing as the motor is blown i was wondering if it is possible to put a 7.3L into the truck instead of another 6.0L. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can do anything if you have enough money and time....

·
Super Moderator
11,711 Posts
You can swap them. Also plan to change the transmission, the wiring, the computers, and the dashboard instruments. None of those will work with the 7.3L.

·
Registered
821 Posts
hmmm no compression at all on any cylinder. even 1 dead cylinder you can hear the stumble while turning the starter. sounds like cam or something, block and pistons possibly have nothing wrong

·
Registered
813 Posts
if you live in a emissions test required state. i'm wondring if you could pass the test to get the truck licensed. not sure, but i thought ford went to the 6.0 over the 7.3 to meet emission standards?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a 2006 F-250. Truck turns over very fast as there is no compression. Seeing as the motor is blown i was wondering if it is possible to put a 7.3L into the truck instead of another 6.0L. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt
Merry Christmas!
it would be far easier to rebuild the motor, find a used motor or buy a crate motor. by the time you either found a wiring harness used, rewired the truck, either found a new tranny, had an adapter built for the 5r and bought a stand alone controler to shift it you will have paid for the new 6.0 easily.
there are alot of people that think motor swaps are cool and they will root for you. when you go to sell it later though most intelligent people will realize the dificulty of finding parts and or having some one work on it so your resale value will take a huge hit unless you find a person that is lime your self and can appreciate it for what it is.
good luck if you do the swap. where are you located? there are alot of good shops that could potentially troubleshoot and fix the truck vs start throwing new parts in blindly

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im in Lake Orion, MI. I am looking for a 6.0L. Found one in WI im going to pick up i think. I just really am not very fond of the 6.0L. I like my 1997 7.3L way better. I'm only 19 living 100% on my own so to do the swap and spend that kind of money is a little far off my budget as of now. It would be awesome though. My 97 just hit 302,000 miles and the 06 6.0L is blown I think at 112,000. Kinba sad.
By the way. . . I am not a full blown diesel mechanic but I do work on them alot and that is what I am going to school for. I have a pretty good idea. The thing that seems the craziest to me is how fast that motor turns over to me. Any chance it is a oil pressure issue? I feel like I remember hearing something about this. Tried non-ether starting fluid while cranking. It still was cranking very quickly and no start.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
there is no telling. if you plan on putting a new motor in the truck start with pulling the heads and the oil cooler. put a new oil cooler in add the arp studs and make sure to have the heads checked as well as the block for flatness and warpage. this will cure 90% of the issues. then delete the egr. after that keeping a clean coolant system and good fuel psi should net you a 300k motor. the 6.0 has a bad reputation and can be a pita but if you take the time up front and understand the problems associated with it you will 1 be alot less stressed and 2 be a educated owner with a lower potential for problems.

now for the turning over issue. can you test compression? can you pull the valve covers and verify the valves are moving and the cam is not flat or you dont have bent valves?

·
Registered
27 Posts
you're a poor collage student...get another 60 to replace it if its bad. If anything you could swap a 12V cummins and be done with issues for good almost.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
that would cost as much to preform as the 7.3 but in my opinion if i were to swap the motor i would do 1 of two things. go with a cummins 5.9 or a international 5.9.... the international 5.9 (dt360) seriously kicks the cummins tail in every direction

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a weird problem. The fact that it doesn't crank on starting fluid makes me think you have a fuel issue. Starting fluid doesn't burn like fuel it acts as a Catalyst and works with the fuel, so if it doesn't crank you have no fuel. I would check for codes first off. And before you write that motor off I would do a compression test. It has way too low of mileage to be a total loss. I would guess it's either your HPOP or lift pump and the LPOP has been known to fail as well. I'd say you have a decent chance of getting her running again. I'd delete the Egr system, put headstuds in it, and relpace the oil cooler with the addition to a coolant filter and you shouldn't have any more problems. I did that to my truck at 110,000 miles and it is running great now with a total of 240,000 miles. Plus i've been running 140hp tunes the whole time. Don't let the 6.0 scare you it can be a great motor if you work out all the quirks. My 6.0 will spank all my buddys' 7.3s. If it throws 8 injectors codes most likely it's a FICM 500 dollar bolt on fix. As i said before no fuel no start. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Thank you all for responses. I appericate it. So today I had the day off and started to play around with it. As strokin83 said it may be a fuel issue. I think it may be as well now. I took the lower fuel filter out, the one on the frame rail. It was nasty. I them tested the pump. It would kick on for about 1 second then kick right off and I was getting no fuel up to the bowl. I am going to take the pump out, clean it and put it back in and then if need be replace it. See what happens from there.
Thanks ya'll again, any other ideas let me know.

By the way I would love to have a 5.9 in it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea I have kicked around putting a cummins in mine as well. I just couldn't justify the cost. I hope the fuel pump fixes it. It's also a good idea to change those filters every 15k and always replace with Motocraft. good luck!

·
Registered
821 Posts
did it make a loud bang when it stopped running the last time. does it make loud clunking noises when you crank the starter. is there holes anywhere in the block that there are not supposed to be. if not the odds of a "blown" engine are pretty small. gonna have to put on your trouble shooting hat and go about it scientifically.get fuel into it. check compression. oh what were you doing when it ran last, normal operation, towing, racing etc?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was the fuel pump, the one mounted on the frame!!! Thank you all!

·
Registered
821 Posts
cool way cheaper than an engine. it really shows though why you have to trouble shoot systematically. could have cost a ton of $$$$ for nothing

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
one thing to consider. buying a autoenginuity tool for diagnostics can save you alot of headache. that and a fp gauge. (ford dosent monitor fp) so you would have been sol on your particular issue but i might have lead you to that conclusion alot faster and given you alot more conficdence in the trek

·
Registered
1 Posts
small upgrade

I HAVE 2005 6.0 RUNS GRATE BUT IS WRECKED I HAVE 2008 MISSING 6.4 AND TRANS. CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF I CAN PUT 6.0& TRANS INTO 2008 CHASSIS.
I DO NOT WANT TO HERE ABOUT CUMMINGS AND I DO NOT HAVE MONEY 6.4 I HAVE WHAT I HAVE CAN IT BE DONE WITH WHAT I HAVE THANKS WAITTING FOR HELP

·
Super Moderator
11,711 Posts
You can put a 7.3L in a 6.0L truck. You only need to replace the engine, the transmission, the wiring, the computer, the instrument cluster, the driveshaft (both if a 4x4) and fabricate mounts to make it work. It's probably cheaper to buy a new 2021 truck than to do this, but yes, it can be done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts