The Diesel Stop banner

6.0L Tow/Haul Light Flashing

22K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  bismic 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals, so I've done some research on this and everyone has this issue but with different symptoms than me. So this happened a while ago, but it stopped happening after a few hours. Well, now its back. My transmission temp gauge is working perfectly fine, and the only light that is on is the Tow/Haul light that keeps flashing. When putting it in Reverse or Drive, it shifts super hard and it is in a high idle. However, I can drive it with no shifting issues, although at 50 its at 2k rpm. So its staying really high. Do yall still think its the tranny temp sensor?

#2 ·
50MPH at 2,000RPM means its not shifting into high gear. I would check it for codes. Its pure speculation, but I had similar symptoms when my direct clutch failed. Its possible yours has too, but codes should point you in the right direction.

#4 ·
It depends, some scanners can't read all the trans codes. I was able to read everything with my Edge Evo, but don't know about the others. At this point its either Ford or a trans shop, but I'd go to the one with the most experience with 6.0 trucks. It may not be internal damage, but some places would just rather sell you a trans than try to diagnose it.

#6 ·
That helps. It means you have codes stored and you need to get them read. Without the codes stored all I can tell you is that something is wrong. With the codes I can probably lead you right to the problem.

#8 ·
Most auto parts stores will let you use a code scanner for free, but its a crapshoot as to whether or not it will read all the codes. But, you lose nothing by trying either.

Ford's almost certainly going to charge you, unless they get work out of it.

#9 ·
Most auto parts stores will let you use a code scanner for free, but its a crapshoot as to whether or not it will read all the codes.
No, it's not a crapshoot. I guarantee that they CANNOT read the transmission codes.

You don't have to go to Ford. Any good independent shop can read the codes. Yes, you'll have to pay. How many places do work for you for free?

#10 ·
Or look at the other side of it, would you work for free?

#12 ·
I'll wait to see if Mark chimes in here, but I would not just go replacing parts based on codes. I had a trans failure that threw a code for the direct clutch solenoid. There was nothing wrong with the solenoid, the direct clutch was toast. At this point I'd want to have it diagnosed rather than start throwing parts at it.

#14 ·
I'm not that familiar with the P0962 code. From the research I just did it indicates an electrical circuit fault. It could be the solenoid, but it is much more likely to be a wiring problem. It can be anywhere from the PCM to the transmission, or even the harness inside the trans.

#18 ·
My 2004 f350 is doing the same thing. My edge reader said it was C solenoid and a OSS p0720 code. I swapped the C and E solenoid and the shifting problem changed pattern. I still had the OSS code but no solenoid code. I then replaced the bad solenoid and the OSS. The truck ran fine with no issues for about one week then started shifting hard when cold, but shifted fine after worming up. Today while driving home there was a load bang, the trans shifted hard out of OD and the tow haul light started flashing again. The only code I am getting is the P0720 OSS code again.

Not to high jack the thread but this sounds similar Any suggestions?

#21 ·
There are seven pressure control solenoids. The one that has a problem in your trans controls the coast clutch. There is a pressure control solenoid for the converter clutch, another for the forward clutch, etc.

#22 ·
My 6.0 tow/haul. Light started flashing and in my truck and my transmission stopped shifting and wont go in any gears i also changed my sensor replaced my transmission filter and new transmission fluid.... Tow/haul light stopped flashing drove for few mins was great parked it got back in light flashing again plus check engine light and it wont shift in to any gear checked fluid not a drop on stick not a dropped under truck i thought i might have stripped my screws/bolt and lost it while driving for the 10 mins after i replaced the sensor. So i just had it replaced again plus added all the trans fluid. Truck startups still wont go into gear....... The sensor i replaced twice was the. Transmission level temp what now

#24 ·
What color of coolant are you using? Look in the degas bottle to see if any of the missing transmission fluid may be there (it will form a sludge/emulsification if you have oil in your coolant).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.