The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends. I know this has been beat to death and yes I have searched. I just want to get some clarifying answers. So thank you in advance for your help. I have also posted on another forum to gain a wide audience. Thanks for understanding

I have a 2006 6.0 crew cab short bed SRW and it has not been bullet proofed. The truck is stock and has never been tuned or messed with. I purposely seeked out a stock truck. Truck runs great, no issues. Well, the temps were starting to creep Up and I figured the truck needed a new oil cooler. I figure this to be maintenance and send the truck in for work, and other stuff too. : so when working with my mechanic he asked me if I wanted to delete the EGR, after research I agreed to do it while he was in there. This is where I started to get worried he told me that the truck will need a tune to compensate ( engine light, etc) for the egr delete and that he suggested the SCT and orunning the street tune as I have stock head bolts and gaskets. I asked him probably 10 times and he stated the street tune would be good. Truck has been running great and seems to run better. The truck sees light duty

So here is my concern and why I am coming to ask for help/guidance.

My truck isn't used to tow on a regular basis, she is a city truck, help people move here and there, but her sole purpose is to pull my race car. I have two trailers: 1) a one car enclosed towing a race prepped csr. total weight, car and trailer about 7000 and that is a high estimate, 2) a 36 foot two car gooseneck...

With all of that said, I am about to hook up the two car and pull from Atlanta to Texas and want a smooth ride, no issues ( knock on wood)

Probably around 11k pounds, 2 cars and gear. so do I....

A) return to stock and tow? ( can I do this with the egr deleted will cause any issues?)
B) tow with a tow tune I have three options on my SCT FX4 1) Tow 50hp or 2) tow 65hp or 3) trans only, I have also found a aggressive tow tune, but not sure what that is ( Any insight would be great)

I don't want to blow head gaskets and all that other crap, so I am concerned and wanted to come to you guys for advice. The two car only gets used once or twice, but I pull the one car 5-10 times a year. What is best for the truck and help extend the life when pulling both. Thanks for your help

KDAWG

·
Registered
2005 F250 CCSB 6.0 6" Rough Country lift 37x13.5x22 toyo XD 778 Chrome Monsters
37 Posts
I would call Innovative Diesel they will tell you more about it. I know when I talked to them they told me the preloaded tunes in my Livewire TS was from them. They were really helpful and informative when I spoke to them.

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hello Friends. I know this has been beat to death and yes I have searched. I just want to get some clarifying answers. So thank you in advance for your help. I have also posted on another forum to gain a wide audience. Thanks for understanding

I have a 2006 6.0 crew cab short bed SRW and it has not been bullet proofed. The truck is stock and has never been tuned or messed with. I purposely seeked out a stock truck. Truck runs great, no issues. Well, the temps were starting to creep Up and I figured the truck needed a new oil cooler. I figure this to be maintenance and send the truck in for work, and other stuff too. : so when working with my mechanic he asked me if I wanted to delete the EGR, after research I agreed to do it while he was in there. This is where I started to get worried he told me that the truck will need a tune to compensate ( engine light, etc) for the egr delete and that he suggested the SCT and orunning the street tune as I have stock head bolts and gaskets. I asked him probably 10 times and he stated the street tune would be good. Truck has been running great and seems to run better. The truck sees light duty

So here is my concern and why I am coming to ask for help/guidance.

My truck isn't used to tow on a regular basis, she is a city truck, help people move here and there, but her sole purpose is to pull my race car. I have two trailers: 1) a one car enclosed towing a race prepped csr. total weight, car and trailer about 7000 and that is a high estimate, 2) a 36 foot two car gooseneck...

With all of that said, I am about to hook up the two car and pull from Atlanta to Texas and want a smooth ride, no issues ( knock on wood)

Probably around 11k pounds, 2 cars and gear. so do I....

A) return to stock and tow? ( can I do this with the egr deleted will cause any issues?)

B) tow with a tow tune I have three options on my SCT FX4 1) Tow 50hp or 2) tow 65hp or 3) trans only, I have also found a aggressive tow tune, but not sure what that is ( Any insight would be great)

I don't want to blow head gaskets and all that other crap, so I am concerned and wanted to come to you guys for advice. The two car only gets used once or twice, but I pull the one car 5-10 times a year. What is best for the truck and help extend the life when pulling both. Thanks for your help

KDAWG
] I've towed 13,000 lbs with Tow.50. Egts arnt bad if you drive sensible. You could tow stock without a tune. The egr is manually blocked off and deleted, so it won't matter with the tune or not. The tunes there to keep the check engine light off and clear the egr code because of the delete. So no worries pal! Either way, I know I can pull it with tow 50 hp, but if you are really that nervous you can definitely pull stock. ??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Gearhead has a trans only tune and gets rid of the egr light.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I've towed with my hot tune. No problems, EGT was a bit higher than normal, but easily modulated with my right foot. ECT not much hotter, maybe 2-4 degrees. That was a trailer weight of about 6,000lbs.

I would seriously consider bulletproofing the truck if you tow. Towing, even light loads, puts a lot more strain on the engine than just driving around. The first guys to blow HGs weren't the ones who used tuners, rather it was guys who towed heavy. Even if towing put you at no more risk, I would still bulletproof because sitting on the side of the road with a broken truck with trailer in tow is a considerably worse situation than just the truck itself.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've towed with my hot tune. No problems, EGT was a bit higher than normal, but easily modulated with my right foot. ECT not much hotter, maybe 2-4 degrees. That was a trailer weight of about 6,000lbs.

I would seriously consider bulletproofing the truck if you tow. Towing, even light loads, puts a lot more strain on the engine than just driving around. The first guys to blow HGs weren't the ones who used tuners, rather it was guys who towed heavy. Even if towing put you at no more risk, I would still bulletproof because sitting on the side of the road with a broken truck with trailer in tow is a considerably worse situation than just the truck itself.

Agreed

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2005 F250 CCSB 6.0 6" Rough Country lift 37x13.5x22 toyo XD 778 Chrome Monsters
37 Posts
TKOPerformance hit the nail on the head, bulletproofing will definitely give you a piece of mind for your rig, and you will be able to tow whatever you want without hesitation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts