The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6.0 van takes an extremely long time getting to operating temperature. Today, I idled the van in 55 degree temperature for about 20 minutes and the needle moved about an eighth of the way to operating temp. Does this seem like excessive warm up time or is this normal? My 2000 7.3 warmed up in 15 minutes even on cold days, the 6.0 seems to take much longer. If I keep idling, the needle will eventually get to operating temp, I know it's not a problem with the thermometer registering the correct temps...it just takes forever to get there!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Try changing your thermostat. They fail open.

·
Banned
22 Posts
My 6.0 van takes an extremely long time getting to operating temperature. Today, I idled the van in 55 degree temperature for about 20 minutes and the needle moved about an eighth of the way to operating temp. Does this seem like excessive warm up time or is this normal? My 2000 7.3 warmed up in 15 minutes even on cold days, the 6.0 seems to take much longer. If I keep idling, the needle will eventually get to operating temp, I know it's not a problem with the thermometer registering the correct temps...it just takes forever to get there!
Try using your block heater and a timer set for 3 hours before you leave. It takes forever for a diesel motor to warm up without any load on it. If its 55 out and I use the block heater for 3 hours my ect and eot are usually about 110 degrees or so when I fire it up, I idle for about 5 mins and then put a light load on it by driving easy until it gets up to operating temp. The transmission is still only about 70 degrees or so when you start it, but it warms up much faster than the engine anyways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try using your block heater and a timer set for 3 hours before you leave. It takes forever for a diesel motor to warm up without any load on it. If its 55 out and I use the block heater for 3 hours my ect and eot are usually about 110 degrees or so when I fire it up, I idle for about 5 mins and then put a light load on it by driving easy until it gets up to operating temp. The transmission is still only about 70 degrees or so when you start it, but it warms up much faster than the engine anyways.
Thanks to all for the advice! Sure enough, I checked the thermostat and it was open, a new thermostat is on its way!. I bought a timer and I'm going to use the block heater in the morning. I knew something wasn't quite right.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Ten minutes of idling on my autostart gets mine over 100 even when 0 outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts