The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is ready to sell his 05 SD f250 crew cab lariat. It has the 6 liter with 159,000 miles. New front end, new turbo, new injectors, needs little rust repair on the bottom of doors and a bumper. He's asking 11,000. I just sold my rotted 01 SD CC with 170,000 for $9000 so this doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. I'm just wondering if the 6.0 is something I want to tackle and if the price is indeed fair....

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello
from what you have described it seems like a good deal, the biggest problem with the 6.0 liter from what i know is that they have head gasket issues and the repairs for that involve removing the entire cab. I'm no mechanic so i don't understand the exact reasoning behind why thats needed but i do understand it can be a pain in the ass. however from what I've also heard the 6.0 liter is good for use as a daily driver as opposed to using it to haul when you compare it to the 7.3 liter. so if you did buy the truck i would just be aware of that potential problem but other than that it sounds like a great truck. but again i want to say again I'm not a mechanic and what I've heard about the 6.0 litre comes from what I've heard from my friends and from what I've read online so i wouldn't take my opinion too seriously. best of luck and i hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ask him if he's done any bulletproofing. Did he replace the oil cooler or replace the bolts in the heads with studs? If he did these things when he did the injectors then it is an easier answer.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
There's really only one question you need to ask: do you need a Diesel? If the answer is yes, then buy the 6.0 because you won't find another make or model of Diesel with its capability for a better price, even once you factor in the cost of bulletproofing.

If the answer is no, buy a gas truck. Diesels are more expensive to maintain, and 6.0s are intolerant of spotty maintenance. Properly taken care of they are a great platform

Reactions: NOSPARKPLUGZ

·
Registered
160 Posts
there really needs to be a sticky we can refer people to with this answer, it's not like you're the first to ask the question.

If you're not interested and able to do a ton of reading and doing your own work, then don't buy a 6.0L. You're going to have to get involved and there are things that will probably need to be done, THEY DO NOT NEED THE CAB REMOVED, although it can make some of the jobs much easier.

Paying somebody to do it is not worthwhile, either do it yourself or look for something else.

Discovering the current status is pretty cheap and easy if you get a way to monitor the truck's computer and learn what to look for, you should do this no matter what.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The job you really want to pull the cab for is head gaskets. It's not 100% necessary, but Lord does it make the job easier and save your back, knees, ribs, etc. I pulled my cab in 2hrs. and it took maybe 3 to get it back on once I was done. Best 5 hours I ever spent on the truck. You can work on the engine standing next to it. I bought a used 9,000lb Rotary lift (two post) for $1,500 a year before I needed to do the HG job. Best $1,500 I ever spent on my shop. The cost for labor on a HG job is easily $2,500-$3,000, so it paid for itself twice on that job alone. Granted, I have a big shop with a ceiling over 14' and not everyone does, but if you've got the space you really should have a lift if you work on cars and trucks. No more bending over to do brake jobs, no more rolling around on a creeper to do clutches, etc. Saves times and you are much less tired when you're done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts