The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing the '06 powerstroke in my signature with a 6.2 gas. I drove both a 6.2 and a 6.7 today both with 3.73's and was kinda suprised with all the shifting the gas did. I am thinking the 4.30 option would be better for what I do.

This would be a cab/chassis f350 dually 4x4 with a bale bed that would tow occasionally but mainly used to feed cows and do chores.

My experience with the 6.0 has kinda soured me on diesels but that 6.7 sure did walk all over the 6.2 today.

Would the 4.30 make any noticeable differences in all the shifting or is that just the nature of the beast ?

Trying to spec out 2 identical XLT trucks except one being a gas and the other diesel looks like the gas is close to $10,000 cheaper

I have not had a gas pickup since 1987 so jumping to a gas is quite a leap.

· Registered
412 Posts
When I went to do a few test drives on the 6.2 gasser I was coming out of a FX4 F150 Ecoboost on some steroids. Jumped into the 6.2 and down the road we went. It felf very sluggish, slow, low on TQ, unresponsive, and not impressed at all. Then I jumped into my current 6.7 PSD and took off. Power, HP, TQ, everything was a difference all in a extremely positive way.

Now that being said, I can understand your concerns with going diesel after a bad experience. And if you do go diesel this time the best suggestion I could give you would be to stay off of the internet reading about any diesel related issues with the 6.7 PSD. Other wise you will find yourself questioning whether you made the wrong decision and should have went with the 6.2 gas choice.

With what you described I would have no hesitations of going with the 6.2 gas choice. And yes, I would go with the 4:30 gears.

As for MPG, it's pretty much a wash. The diesel will cost you maybe .02 more a mile to operate. Oil and filter changes about $60 more each time on the diesel. And of course then there is the fuel filter that needs to be changed every 20K or so miles, I do mine every 13,500 miles. The fuel filters are not inexpensive to buy, but cheap insurance against fuel contamination.

· Registered
30 Posts
2015 F350

The 4.30 seems to be the perfect match with Ford's 6.2 gas and double overdrive 6sp. auto. I get only a few more downshifts then my 04 Ram H.O. Cummins with a 3.73. I like to drive both trucks. I do enjoy getting gas anywhere I want with the new Ford.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered the truck on Saturday. '15 F-350, reg cab, 6.2 cab/chassis, dually, 4x4, xlt, 4.30, snowplow package, 643a package with powerfold mirrors. I think that it will make a good reliable feed/chore truck.

Thanks for the advice. I was told it should be about 6 weeks. Hopefully this 6.0 hangs together until then.

· Registered
1,021 Posts
I ordered the truck on Saturday. '15 F-350, reg cab, 6.2 cab/chassis, dually, 4x4, xlt, 4.30, snowplow package, 643a package with powerfold mirrors. I think that it will make a good reliable feed/chore truck.

Thanks for the advice. I was told it should be about 6 weeks. Hopefully this 6.0 hangs together until then.
Be advised some on this forum have indicated that Ford has a backlog of trucks ordered with the 4:30 gears due to some problem with a supplier supposedly. IIRC one person had been waiting on his truck since he ordered it last November. Hopefully they will resolve this issue soon. Best of luck with the 6.2 engine. I'm considering going back to gas myself in the future. Keep us posted.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hello, New to this site. I usually read a lot on the Ford Truck enthusiast site but this one looks great also. Found it by just reading about the 6.2 gas. I didn't know we were allowed on this site. He he.. Anyway looks great and some more good reading available. I drive a 2012 Ford F350 6.2 SD, XL, 4x4, SC Long bed with 4.30 axle, 5th wheel prep pack. Recent purchase last year of a 2014 5th wheel rv. Bought the Hitch, dropped right in the puck system and away we went. Drove up to Minnesota and bought it and pulled it back home. 6.2 performed flawless, 4th gear on hills in tow haul, was always waiting for the kick to 3rd gear but never happened. Felt really comfortable with the whole setup truck and trailer. The platform of the F350 felt really stable. Averaged 9/10 mpg. Truck and trailer combined right over 20,000 lbs.
Thanks for the great site.

Attachments

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's here.....but no pictures yet. Picked up the truck on 4/2. The 6.0 made it till then but not without it's problems. I really like the truck so far but have only about 400 miles on it. I have not towed anything but I feel that it will be fine. It will definitly take a while to get comfortable with the all the shifting with the 6.2.

· Registered
846 Posts
lets see some pictures

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
19 Posts
Well how are you liking the 6.2L now that you've had it a few months? I bought one a couple months ago & like it. It does shift more than I'm used to.

· Premium Member
94.5 F250 supercab 4x4 dana 60, TYMAR, AFE 4" exhaust, flip chip, many other small mods, 206K miles
443 Posts
Watching this thread and others of same topic with interest. If I have to replace the pickup in my signature, am thinking hard on a 6.2L with the 4.30 gearing.

· Registered
19 Posts
I have 11,000 miles on my 6.2 so far and am happy with the performance. The F250 is not as fast as my EB F150 however it is plenty fast. It did take a little while to get used to the higher RPMs. Now that I know what to expect and when to expect it, I am very with the overall performance.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A bit of an update.

The truck now has little over 9000 miles and I have no complaints. the 6.2/4.30 gear combo is just right for what I need. It seems to average about 12 mpg on the highway and closer to 8-9 on the short trips around the farm feeding cows. The truck does have a 2500# Deweze balebed so that makes a bit of difference I would think. I have towed a little with the best test being 12,500# of bagged salt on a 25' gooseneck flatbed that the truck handled much better than I thought it would and got down to about 7 mpg or so.

It's no diesel but I think that I would buy the gasser again if needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.